Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has POTC been ruined?

I recently visited MK on 5/5/13.

The POTC attraction really upset me. I feel like they are putting way to many of their new characters in the original attractions, and IMO, ruining said attraction. Ok, first, the mermaids swimming next to the boat and the mermaid skeleton are not that bad. Then the dad from the Andy Samberg film, Hot Rod, appears on the smokescreen before you go down the waterfall, transporting you into the pirate world. Once down the falls, you see a ship that looks like the Pear, but it's not the Pearl. Then Johnny Depp pops his makeup wearing face into the classic scenes I grew up with.

Then, the most disappointing part. After passing a mumbling Depp for a final time as he drunkenly celebrates his burglary into the treasure room, the rides suddenly ends! You pull into a backstage, unthemed unloading bay and walk up a, what I called "a magical staircase that transports you back up into present day, in replace of going up the waterfall".

Why did they ruin the best attraction in the MK?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Has POTC been ruined?

I'm lost. You seem to be complaining about a mix of elements that are recent, semi-recent and been there since opening day.

I get what you're saying. I too believe that the mermaids are an okay add, but I find the Jack Sparrow references just plain annoying now, especially coming from that one pirate (the one next to the barrels). It's just seems "in your face" now.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

It seems as if with each new film, they want to add an element of it to the ride itself (Jack, Barbossa, Davy Jones, Blackbeard, Mermaids...). I'm dreading the fact that if POTC 5 comes out, there will definitely be an element of that squeezed into the ride.

The mermaid concept I do not mind since it's more subtle in my opinion and I just like the feel of it in general. However, seeing Davy Jones, or Blackbeard in mist, Barbossa taking over the ship, and Johnny Depp three times in AA form is too much.

I understand them wanting to add Jack Sparrow to the attraction since he's the main character of the films and younger audiences would ask more than likely why he isn't in it. I know my much younger cousin would always ask, "Where's Captain Jack Sparrow?"

I wouldn't have minded if they added Jack to the attraction, but perhaps maybe once in the ride, not three times. If they wanted to switch it up, they could have made it so during renovations they could move him to a different location in the ride if possible.

The mist screen is the worse out of them all. The thing I hate about it is the projection of Davy Jones and Blackbeard. I actually think that it could be kept as just a standard, more subtle waterfall since it looks like guests enjoy it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

You can't please all the people all the time. People complain that POC is over done, then they complain that other rides haven't been added to/upgraded for years..... those same rides they WILL complain about once they HAVE been changed.

Personally I appreciate the changes. I've ridden POC probably close to a 100 times over the years and spend most of the ride looking for things I missed the first 50 rides. Additions just give me something more to ogle. While I like things for "nostalgia's" sake like Swiss Family Tree House, change is good. To the OP, when was the last time you climbed through the tree house? If you heard that they "added" a few new things would you take the time to check it out?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Like Lazyboy said in their post, some of those things have been there since the attraction opened. The problem with WDW's version of Pirates is that it was rushed to be put in because when WDW opened, one of the biggest complaints from guests was, "Where's the pirate ride?" They heard so much about the one at Disneyland, so they were surprised it wasn't also at WDW.

As most know, for Florida we were supposed to get the huge Thunder Mesa complex, which included the Western River Expedition, which was going to be WDW's version of Pirates. But then the "Where's Pirates?" complaints started pouring in and Western River was put on the backburner while WED (as Imagineering was called back then) rushed to get a version of Pirates installed and literally shoehorned it into Adventureland by creating the Caribbean Plaza area. Since they were in a time crunch, an abbreviated version of the ride was done. I do think WDW got the better themed queue, but Disneyland has the better ride of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    You can't please all the people all the time. People complain that POC is over done, then they complain that other rides haven't been added to/upgraded for years..... those same rides they WILL complain about once they HAVE been changed.

Personally I appreciate the changes. I've ridden POC probably close to a 100 times over the years and spend most of the ride looking for things I missed the first 50 rides. Additions just give me something more to ogle. While I like things for "nostalgia's" sake like Swiss Family Tree House, change is good. To the OP, when was the last time you climbed through the tree house? If you heard that they "added" a few new things would you take the time to check it out?
    I usually agree with this, but there's such thing as adding something that fits nicely into the ride and plusses it and there is adding something to the ride that just screams "Marketing". Jack Sparrow this and Jack Sparrow that... it's getting annoying.

I like the new mermaid addition to the ride because it's an element that enhances and adds to the original ride. Not every change is bad, I agree, but this change is just too much for the original storyline of the attraction. It's getting pretty old.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    I know my much younger cousin would always ask, "Where's Captain Jack Sparrow?"
    Which is now the other pirates job.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I usually agree with this, but there's such thing as adding something that fits nicely into the ride and plusses it and there is adding something to the ride that just screams "Marketing". Jack Sparrow this and Jack Sparrow that... it's getting annoying.

I like the new mermaid addition to the ride because it's an element that enhances and adds to the original ride. Not every change is bad, I agree, but this change is just too much for the original storyline of the attraction. It's getting pretty old.
    Does that Pirate boutique thing even sell anymore for Disney??? Last time I was there we didn't see anyone getting that service when we were there...

I like the PoTC movies but some of the PoTC additions are starting to get really old and need to go...I agree with the mermaids and the misting effect is cool, but doesn't really have the same effect as the plain fog effect would IMO i dunno the movie invasion has gotten a bit too much IMO
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

I definitely agree with you. I actually just got back from vacation and I can't recall anyone who went to the Pirates League. I'm curious to wether or not that hype is winding down.

The reason why I don't mind the mermaid effect is the fact that it doesn't have to be directly related to the movie. It can fit in with the ride without having to be correlated with the movie. I think it's perfectly acceptable to try to enhance older attractions in order to add more interest to it, but I think that most of the movie references in the attraction are getting quite old and almost "in your face". I think it's time to reassess the movie tie-in.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I'm lost. You seem to be complaining about a mix of elements that are recent, semi-recent and been there since opening day.
    The boat is new. It was made to look like the Pearl. The differences are easily identified.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I definitely agree with you. I actually just got back from vacation and I can't recall anyone who went to the Pirates League. I'm curious to wether or not that hype is winding down.

The reason why I don't mind the mermaid effect is the fact that it doesn't have to be directly related to the movie. It can fit in with the ride without having to be correlated with the movie. I think it's perfectly acceptable to try to enhance older attractions in order to add more interest to it, but I think that most of the movie references in the attraction are getting quite old and almost "in your face". I think it's time to reassess the movie tie-in.
    I'm curious that if and when the hype dies down if they're going to reset some of the effects and also remove some of the Sparrows to restore the attraction as much as possible...

I'll cross my fingers that they do, and the mermaids are part of sealore of that time period and still somewhat to this day, it's a nice addition because it isn't so in your face with the movie advertising...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    The boat is new. It was made to look like the Pearl. The differences are easily identified.
    There may have been some slight modifications, but I'm rather sure the ship is the same. The second and third films even explain why Barbossa is on the Wicked Wench in the attractions.

The unload area, also part of your post, has also always been in its present location with the Speedramp back up.

Yeah, your right, POTC id totally ruined now. Lets just close it down and make another meet and greet out of it !!...( note the sarcasm).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast