Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

They may be tracking me, but that doesn't mean I have to cooperate and help them do it. Plus the obviousness of it bothers me. That may be disingenuous, but there it is.

It's creepy. It's like Target tracks its customers, and sends targeted ads to people. One guy got all kinds of bent out of shape when they sent his house ads about diapers and whatnot. He has a teenage daughter, but no reason they should get ads about being pregnant. He went to the store to complain and then later found out his daughter was indeed pregnant, but hadn't told him yet.

Creepy.

I see the magic bands in a similar way.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    It's creepy. It's like Target tracks its customers, and sends targeted ads to people. One guy got all kinds of bent out of shape when they sent his house ads about diapers and whatnot. He has a teenage daughter, but no reason they should get ads about being pregnant. He went to the store to complain and then later found out his daughter was indeed pregnant, but hadn't told him yet.
    Dang! They really live up to their name when they target people like that.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I personally wouldn't mind a Cars Land clone, being that I do not know when I will be able to get back out to California to see it.
    doesn't mean we should damage the integrity of DHS further for your convenience .

• Minion

They may be tracking me, but that doesn't mean I have to cooperate and help them do it. Plus the obviousness of it bothers me. That may be disingenuous, but there it is.

Creepy.

I see the magic bands in a similar way.
    Yeah sorry thats crap. not to be rude or anything but its just plain been happening already for a long time not just through disney but a variety of outlets. its almost unavoidable in today's society. through the disney lens in particular unless your strictly paying cash for your entire vacation, never charging anything to the room, never entering a park, and making no dining reservations, then your being 'tracked' in one form or another. its how businesses work to maximize their dollar and supposedly make our lives more convenient, the next form of advertising.

the only real issue I have with this program is the rediculous 6 month out fast pass reservation system. when I have to start not only planning what times I want to eat and where (which I can live with) as well as which rides I want to go on and when exactly I want to ride them months before I even get to the park, it starts to become more of a mission then a vacation. this program benefits the OCD far too much and could have a big affect on the experience at WDW depending on how things go after full role out. all of these other perks to the system however do look exciting and shockingly maybe even convenient. now are those conveniences it worth a billion dollars? the jury is very much still out on that, however I'm not totally down on the project outside of that one major blight.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    doesn't mean we should damage the integrity of DHS further for your convenience .
    Honestly, I don't see how it would damage the integrity of DHS. I could see it being more harmful to DCA because it would attract those who would go to the west coast to see it to WDW if they're closer or because there's more to see. They put Cars Land in to boost attendance.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

I don't see it making my life more convenient.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Honestly, I don't see how it would damage the integrity of DHS. I could see it being more harmful to DCA because it would attract those who would go to the west coast to see it to WDW if they're closer or because there's more to see. They put Cars Land in to boost attendance.
    I'm talking about the integrity of its theme and the pure common sense of the whole park. they are trying to develop some continuity in the park itself, separating the lands into "studios" where you get to actually walk into the movies as opposed to a hodge podge of behind the scenes, going backstage, semi making of the movies, wanna be universal that was seen up until recently. having a land about a pixar movie right beside a land dedicated to pixar movies not only flies in the face of that effort, but is the ultimate oxymoron lol. on top of that i think originality, at least continental originality importing from somewhere truly far enough away to support convenience would be a nice touch (im looking at you crush coaster, ratatouille ride, and monsters inc.) on top of that copying rides has proven time and time again to not provide dramatic attendance boosts for the copying park, new rides, lands, and experiences do that.

• Minion

I don't see it making my life more convenient.
    it speeds up entrance to the parks and serves as your park ticket, simpler and faster payment for merchandise, holds your reservations for both dining and fastpass, is a nice included in cost souvenir in itself, provides neat new experiences like personalized character meets and the like, etc. I think thats some pretty convenient exciting stuff there alone.

I just like the convenience of the new My Disney Experience WDW app. Don't need some fancy wrist band to use that for what I want.

• Minion

I just like the convenience of the new My Disney Experience WDW app. Don't need some fancy wrist band to use that for what I want.
    thats two completely different things, not even comparable. the app gives you informational conveniences allowing you to make better quick decisions on the go. The band however, offers you various physical conveniences, allowing you to carry less and streamline various activities we don't like in parks, particularily lines to get in and to pay for merchandise and food. used in combination with one another they can be very good tools, however to compare one to the other arbitrarily like that is kind of silly. again if the pre booking fastpass feature wasn't involved I would be a huge proponent of the concept.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Yeah sorry thats crap. not to be rude or anything but its just plain been happening already for a long time not just through disney but a variety of outlets. its almost unavoidable in today's society. through the disney lens in particular unless your strictly paying cash for your entire vacation, never charging anything to the room, never entering a park, and making no dining reservations, then your being 'tracked' in one form or another. its how businesses work to maximize their dollar and supposedly make our lives more convenient, the next form of advertising.
    But it IS invasive. Very invasive. I don't accept it from online sources such as facebook and google, so why would I accept it from Disney?

When I started receiving ads based upon keywords in emails in my gmail account, I went out and installed an ad blocker in my web browser. They may track me and they may track my information, but I have the last laugh because I now see no ads of any kind in my gmail or my facebook accounts (or anywhere else for that matter, which I regret but it is a necessary evil).

I don't have a problem viewing ads, just like I don't have a problem listening to them on the radio or watching them on television. I don't mind being targeted by my demographic. Not in any way. That is an acceptable level of invasiveness. I don't want every purchase or every little movement of mine tracked and targeted for purchases so some corporation can squeeze every dime possible out of me. That is an intolerable level of invasiveness.

It is not convenient, because it is now to the point that it is overly manipulative. As I stated, I don't mind being targeted by demographic; what I do mind is having a million ads fly my way about pastries and donuts because I purchased four churros at a churro kiosk. It's too personal and is a level of invasion of my privacy I am not willing to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Staggs
    To give you an example of how it works, right now, to enter the park, you have to walk up to a kiosk, have someone scan your ticket and then go through the turnstiles. If there’s an issue with your ticket, more often than not, you have to get out of line and go over to guest services. With MagicBand, you just have to hold up the band to the touch point and if you get the green light, you’re good to go. If the kiosk happens to shine a blue light, that means more information is needed but an attendant can come and help you right away.
    The ticketing Cast Members (Park Greeter / Ticket Taker) were always present with the "old" WDW turnstiles system and are always there at DLR.

And then ? I guess that the CM will always say "Your MagicBand/Ticket/AP doesn't work for (any reason), please go to the Guest Services/Guest Relations/Ticket Booths..." or "please wait for a supervisor/manager" lol

Guest Relations & Ticketing Coordinator @ Disneyland Paris
    English is not my mother tongue, I hope you would forgive me for my spelling mistakes.

• former CM

SATIRE of Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future!

10 Features of Thomas Staggs' Famcuffs (SATIRE)

New attractions, lands, and futuristic transportation systems are overrated, and I for one am thrilled that Disney’s Next Gen, $800,000,000 MagicBand bracelets will help our family love Disney even more! My friend Eric Blair at Cyberdyne Systems Skynet Division (which has worked with Thomas Staggs on his new next-gen bracelets) has let me in on nine of the ten new features of Next-Gen 2.0, expected to be rolled out in 2016.

These nine features will be absolutely OPTIONAL during phase 2.0.

1. Parenting Plus. Although I wasn’t spanked and chose not to spank any of my eight sons, many Disney guests choose to exercise their constitutional and biblical rights to use negative reinforcement when raising their own guest sons and daughters. (See Focus on the Family.) Minor electric shocks from the bracelets will teach your children to avoid danger and will make your kids more user friendly for your busy schedules.

2. Each land in each Disney park will contain a naughty (security) pole. Thin cables of braided steel will allow Disney’s friendly guest controllers to attach villains' MagicBands to these poles till Anaheim or Lake Buena Vista Police Officers can delete them from the property. Berms will protect younger guests from the naughty pole areas and kids will even be able to spray suspects with water!

3. Princess BM Training (Behavior Modification) Nobody, and I mean nobody, likes a sad princess! A voice recognition feature in each bracelet will reward little girls who say nice words like “happy,” “cool,” “churro,” and “swell,” by heating the bracelet up a cozy 75-80 degrees, while words that make them unhappy like “unhappy,” “sad,” "Harry Potter," and “no” will cause the bracelet to chill out to a cool 45.1 fahrenheit.

4. Disney Forever! These special bracelets cannot be removed and will cheerfully announce special Disney values and Disney news every half hour for your friends and co-workers to hear. Of course, during your pre-selected nine-nighttime hours, your bracelets will emit soothing Disney lullabies.

5. Family Guard: Ladies, don’t you wish GPS stood for Guy Patrol System? Now it does! Leave it to Disney to let you know where your husband is 24/7, and if he should enter a Dis-no zone (bath houses, strip clubs, and even entire areas like San Francisco, Madison or Greenwich Village), his bracelet will a give a little whistle that will get him on the straight and narrow path.

6. Ankle bracelet option!

7. Who’s the leader of the club that’s made for you and me? Let the world know! Whenever your bracelet passes within any image of Mickey Mouse anywhere in the world, your bracelet will cheer! All praise our great leader!

8. Future Guest Program. Bracelets of mommies at their most fertile will glow purple and emit a sexy saxophone rendition of “Cruella Deville,” whether you're creating your first Disney guest or your 101st!

9. Our most exciting feature will allow our cast members to give our guests the service they deserve. Bracelets of guests staying in our value resorts will have a red flashing light and will receive the same high level of service you’ve come to expect from WDW over the last ten years.

Moderate resort guests will sport bracelets that glow a comforting iron grey and can expect a few extra smiles from our cast members or a few more fries with their burgers. And your iron grey bracelet will even permit you to access certain public areas of our luxury resorts at special times on selected days!

And our luxury guests will be pampered with decadence during their entire stay, receiving an instant hug from any cast member when demanded. If Main Street’s sidewalks are a bit crowded, caste members will jump to the street when they see your green glowing bracelet coming their way! And green means “Fun Unlimited”! You’ll enjoy your own faster Fun Unlimited (F.U.) lines at every quick service restaurant, shop, and refreshment stand. And our trains, monorails, and boats (even the Jungle Cruise) will all feature first class sections for all of you who join the green team! Your green bracelets will permit you to access almost all public areas of our luxury resorts. (Ask about our flashing green concierge level!)

10. [Restricted.]

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-03-2013 at 11:06 AM.

• Co-Host of USWP

Re: SATIRE of Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    10 Features of Thomas Staggs' Famcuffs (SATIRE)

--Tom Sinsky
    ROFL! This was awesome.

• Senior Minion

Re: SATIRE of Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    10 features of thomas staggs' famcuffs (satire)

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast