Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
  1. #31

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    869

    Re: SATIRE of Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    10 Features of Thomas Staggs' Famcuffs (SATIRE)




    OMG! This one had me laughing at everyone, especially the last one. The F.U. line! CLASSIC!!

    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  2. #32

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,168

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    "Magic Bands" aren't they the same as what is used on certain people restricted to a travelling, while their court case is pending?

    These "magic bands" make me feel like I'm under arrest and/or a criminal. I don't think Disney should treat their customers like they are under house arrest.

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    869

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    "Magic Bands" aren't they the same as what is used on certain people restricted to a travelling, while their court case is pending?

    These "magic bands" make me feel like I'm under arrest and/or a criminal. I don't think Disney should treat their customers like they are under house arrest.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  4. #34

    • Senior Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,384

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    it speeds up entrance to the parks and serves as your park ticket, simpler and faster payment for merchandise, holds your reservations for both dining and fastpass, is a nice included in cost souvenir in itself, provides neat new experiences like personalized character meets and the like, etc. I think thats some pretty convenient exciting stuff there alone.

    No way in any level of hells am I using it for purchases. I don't do reservation dining. I'm going to toss it the second I get out of the parks (and/or destroy the chip). I do *not* want the characters greeting me by name. No, no, no. Say "hello" and be Disney-friendly. I'm good.

    I get creeped out at the grocery store when the check-out people greet me by name (and these are people I *do* sort of know), why would I accept it from a character (who is a total stranger)? Times like this I wish I had a really difficult to pronounce name so that people would not even bother to try.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

  5. #35

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    869

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I do *not* want the characters greeting me by name.
    I too would be creeped out if a character like Mickey or Goofy greeted me by name. I'd be like "WTH?! You're not supposed to talk!!!"

    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  6. #36

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by CreepyMonkey View Post
    But it IS invasive. Very invasive. I don't accept it from online sources such as facebook and google, so why would I accept it from Disney?

    When I started receiving ads based upon keywords in emails in my gmail account, I went out and installed an ad blocker in my web browser. They may track me and they may track my information, but I have the last laugh because I now see no ads of any kind in my gmail or my facebook accounts (or anywhere else for that matter, which I regret but it is a necessary evil).

    I don't have a problem viewing ads, just like I don't have a problem listening to them on the radio or watching them on television. I don't mind being targeted by my demographic. Not in any way. That is an acceptable level of invasiveness. I don't want every purchase or every little movement of mine tracked and targeted for purchases so some corporation can squeeze every dime possible out of me. That is an intolerable level of invasiveness.

    It is not convenient, because it is now to the point that it is overly manipulative. As I stated, I don't mind being targeted by demographic; what I do mind is having a million ads fly my way about pastries and donuts because I purchased four churros at a churro kiosk. It's too personal and is a level of invasion of my privacy I am not willing to accept.
    The fact is you were already being tracked to almost the same extent before through many different avenues, now they are just streamlining it and making it a bit more obvious to a degree. whenever you paid with anything other then cash, whenever you entered and exited a park, whenever you booked a fastpass or a dining reservation, thats all information the company was tracking already. you can't avoid the tracking no matter what you do in WDW so why not just keep blocking ads and have an equal if not enhanced experience with magic band.

  7. #37

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

    No way in any level of hells am I using it for purchases. I don't do reservation dining. I'm going to toss it the second I get out of the parks (and/or destroy the chip). I do *not* want the characters greeting me by name. No, no, no. Say "hello" and be Disney-friendly. I'm good.

    I get creeped out at the grocery store when the check-out people greet me by name (and these are people I *do* sort of know), why would I accept it from a character (who is a total stranger)? Times like this I wish I had a really difficult to pronounce name so that people would not even bother to try.
    lol so you use cash your entire vacation? you never sit down for a nice dinner occasionally? I don't mean to be rude but i think this is a bit of over-paranoia on your part. you eventually just have to come to the conclusion at the end of the day we are being watched and tracked for marketing purposes, its unavoidable. we might as well embrace the stuff we get from this new tech and let it enhance our lives (even slightly) instead of spending conscious time attempting to fight change and development. its illogical to do so.

    regarding the character name and info thing, I'm sure they have a better way of using the tech then you suggested above. they will probably find a way to transition into the information as opposed to just blurting it out in a creepy robotic monotone. the jury is still out as to how that system will be implemented but just don't go throwing it away without seeing how it will work in a real world application.

    @stitchfan, those heads are so cool though, it would be crazy to see one up close.

  8. #38

    • Co-Host of USWP
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    165

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    The fact is you were already being tracked to almost the same extent before through many different avenues, now they are just streamlining it and making it a bit more obvious to a degree. whenever you paid with anything other then cash, whenever you entered and exited a park, whenever you booked a fastpass or a dining reservation, thats all information the company was tracking already. you can't avoid the tracking no matter what you do in WDW so why not just keep blocking ads and have an equal if not enhanced experience with magic band.
    I hear you. I do believe in some ways it can maybe streamline some processes. However, let me point out that I almost never use a card in the parks unless absolutely necessary, I almost never use fastpass (I believe waiting in the queue is an integral part of the ride experience) and I never reserve dining in the parks (I almost always dine outside the parks anytime I go to Disney parks, very rare to dine inside) so in reality this isn't really something that is of interest to me to begin with. Thought I'd throw that out there so you understand this isn't something that is really targeted towards me to begin with, which probably influences my views towards it.

  9. #39

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,115
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    I was working yesterday at Cheshire Cafe and got to meet a lady and her daughter testing out the new bands They seemed pretty happy with them!!






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  10. #40

    • Senior Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,384

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Yes, I am a big fan of cash. Even for a nice sit-down dinner, I'm still likely to pay cash. I will use a card for some things, but most of the time, it's cash.

    Maybe I am over-paranoid but when it feels intrusive, yes, I'm going to avoid it. I don't feel like I'd be getting anything that I would use out of the magic bands.

    I never suggested the characters would use a creepy robotic monotone voice. Not sure where you got that from. But "greeting you by name" was one of the things lauded by the publicity around the bands and for me, this takes the character meet and greet from "maybe" to "oh, hells, no."

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    lol so you use cash your entire vacation? you never sit down for a nice dinner occasionally? I don't mean to be rude but i think this is a bit of over-paranoia on your part. you eventually just have to come to the conclusion at the end of the day we are being watched and tracked for marketing purposes, its unavoidable. we might as well embrace the stuff we get from this new tech and let it enhance our lives (even slightly) instead of spending conscious time attempting to fight change and development. its illogical to do so.

    regarding the character name and info thing, I'm sure they have a better way of using the tech then you suggested above. they will probably find a way to transition into the information as opposed to just blurting it out in a creepy robotic monotone. the jury is still out as to how that system will be implemented but just don't go throwing it away without seeing how it will work in a real world application.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

  11. #41

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by CreepyMonkey View Post
    I hear you. I do believe in some ways it can maybe streamline some processes. However, let me point out that I almost never use a card in the parks unless absolutely necessary, I almost never use fastpass (I believe waiting in the queue is an integral part of the ride experience) and I never reserve dining in the parks (I almost always dine outside the parks anytime I go to Disney parks, very rare to dine inside) so in reality this isn't really something that is of interest to me to begin with. Thought I'd throw that out there so you understand this isn't something that is really targeted towards me to begin with, which probably influences my views towards it.
    that is fair and I can totally see where your coming from based on your preferences. I think we can agree however that those services are used by a very large portion of the disney going public and if the processes are streamlined in those areas then most likely they will affect you by default helping make some lines shorter and check ins easier. just because you don't utilize those things in particular, it doesn't mean that your environment wont be positively affected, you could even reap some of the benefits if you so choose and still operate as you normally would on vacation. again the only big downside i have to this service is pre reserving ride times which i think is plain awful and am surprised that more people aren't talking about it.

  12. #42

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Yes, I am a big fan of cash. Even for a nice sit-down dinner, I'm still likely to pay cash. I will use a card for some things, but most of the time, it's cash.

    Maybe I am over-paranoid but when it feels intrusive, yes, I'm going to avoid it. I don't feel like I'd be getting anything that I would use out of the magic bands.

    I never suggested the characters would use a creepy robotic monotone voice. Not sure where you got that from. But "greeting you by name" was one of the things lauded by the publicity around the bands and for me, this takes the character meet and greet from "maybe" to "oh, hells, no."
    sure, but sometimes you have to use the card, its a nice security blanket just in case. Every time you use that card your being tracked though, identically to the way you would be using magic band, the exact intrusive thing you have said to be avoiding.

    your getting a variety of things I have already explained, on top of numerous others, as well as a streamlined experience across the whole park which you will experience whether you use the band or not simply because others in the park are. if you truly believe you would avoid anything that feels intrusive then you would simply never do anything anymore, or have to move deep into the wilderness with no electronics. the whole world is intrusive today, its simply the nature of things and cannot be avoided whether we like it or not.

    its a clear over-exaggeration of your point. I'm merely saying that they are not going out of their way to creep out their patrons, especially the young children. they will surely find some way to transition the names and personal info into conversation. to make it a weird and uncomfortable experience would simply be a waste of the technology. apparently the same personalization will be worked into rides as well in rumour so well see how it goes. the fact is there are numerous advancements that these bands could bring to the parks if implemented properly.

  13. #43

    • Co-Host of USWP
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    165

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    again the only big downside i have to this service is pre reserving ride times which i think is plain awful and am surprised that more people aren't talking about it.
    Agreed! This part seems destined to fail. It seems to take all spontaneity out of the park going experience.

  14. #44

    • Lurking in the corners
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts
    744
    Blog Entries
    22

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Does the magic bracelet also anticipate your child's need for potty breaks and ask you to schedule those, too?

    “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

  15. #45

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    495

    Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

    Having bought WDW AP after the March 19 transition, I'm eager to get things integrated.

    As it stands, we cannot utilize the Disney AP site for many of the functions because the new 2013 AP cards are in "pardon our pixie dust" no-man's land until the bands come online sometime this year (we were told "summer").
    ~ Erik

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney Village - the future
    By soundtracker in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 06:30 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 05:57 PM
  4. Some Ask if the Disney Magic Is Slipping - New York Times, 7/31/05
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 08:35 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 02:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •