Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future?

At least the one thing I like about being an AP and having my new card is the Odyssey building at Epcot. I would've loved to have seen what that place looked like inside as a restaurant cause it looks fabulous. But in its current state, its a nice "Oasis" in the middle of a hot theme park, halfway & to the side in between Future World and World Showcase. Its nice to go inside, take advantage of the air conditioning, and even get some cold water. (I spotted two water coolers off to the side of the Test Track side entrance, next to the restrooms. On my last trip there when I was having a bad afternoon & not feeling well, I refilled my little plastic water bottle. That was the break I needed before heading out & home.)
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

I know *everything* is intrusive, but that doesn't mean I have to participate any more than is necessary. Yes, they are tracking things, and they know I haven't been to the park in several months now. Don't know when I will in fact be back, but putting the magic bands in wide use (which it looks like we will be spared in CA, at least for a while) would take that into a longer interval.

And while I may use a credit card, I'm not going to do it through the band. Don't know, but it just seems wrong. I don't charge very much when I'm in the park, anyway.

And maybe my "creep-out" factor is set more sensitively than other guests, that characters magically knowing a child's name may not creep them out. But it sure would send me running. I don't want rides knowing who I am, either. I don't consider that an enhancement at all.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    sure, but sometimes you have to use the card, its a nice security blanket just in case. Every time you use that card your being tracked though, identically to the way you would be using magic band, the exact intrusive thing you have said to be avoiding.

your getting a variety of things I have already explained, on top of numerous others, as well as a streamlined experience across the whole park which you will experience whether you use the band or not simply because others in the park are. if you truly believe you would avoid anything that feels intrusive then you would simply never do anything anymore, or have to move deep into the wilderness with no electronics. the whole world is intrusive today, its simply the nature of things and cannot be avoided whether we like it or not.

its a clear over-exaggeration of your point. I'm merely saying that they are not going out of their way to creep out their patrons, especially the young children. they will surely find some way to transition the names and personal info into conversation. to make it a weird and uncomfortable experience would simply be a waste of the technology. apparently the same personalization will be worked into rides as well in rumour so well see how it goes. the fact is there are numerous advancements that these bands could bring to the parks if implemented properly.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Self Congratulative

DISNEY MAGICBAND™ can now detect the pregnancy hormone, hCG, 6 days before your missed period*. With FastPass+ technology, only DISNEY MAGICBAND™ captures scant amounts of pregnancy hormones—6 days before your missed period, no other test can do that! And no other line-skipping measure would care to make you wait!

• Only test that tells you 6 days before your missed period.
    • Unsurpassed interactivity options in queues, attractions, and meet-n-greets.
    • Easy to read results - two lines means pregnant and one line means not pregnant. Fast results in 3 minutes.
    • Eliminates bad show, returning attractions to their original pristine, "What Walt would have wanted" state.
    • Sends guests that don't "get it" to Six Flags - the park that they deserve.

Early Entry to Attractions Matters1
    The first few weeks of theme park visitation are critical to fetal development, so early attraction entry is important to healthy birth weight and baby survival. The sooner you know you’re not going to wait in line with the regular guests, the sooner you can begin making privileged choices for yourself and your baby that include FastPass, Club33, and limiting your exposure to Universal.

DISNEY MAGICBAND™ now available at major drugstores, grocery stores and other places that Walt and his Nine Old Men frequented.

Oh Lord!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I know *everything* is intrusive, but that doesn't mean I have to participate any more than is necessary. Yes, they are tracking things, and they know I haven't been to the park in several months now. Don't know when I will in fact be back, but putting the magic bands in wide use (which it looks like we will be spared in CA, at least for a while) would take that into a longer interval.

And while I may use a credit card, I'm not going to do it through the band. Don't know, but it just seems wrong. I don't charge very much when I'm in the park, anyway.

And maybe my "creep-out" factor is set more sensitively than other guests, that characters magically knowing a child's name may not creep them out. But it sure would send me running. I don't want rides knowing who I am, either. I don't consider that an enhancement at all.
    I'm just letting you know the fact is you are being tracked to essentially the identical extent with or without the bands so why not utilize them and make your vacation that remote bit easier. regarding the credit card issue, you would not charge with your credit card on the band it would work like the current key to the world system where you charge your purchases back to the room by tapping the band.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I'm just letting you know the fact is you are being tracked to essentially the identical extent with or without the bands so why not utilize them and make your vacation that remote bit easier. regarding the credit card issue, you would not charge with your credit card on the band it would work like the current key to the world system where you charge your purchases back to the room by tapping the band.
    Yeah I am one to not be wearing the band, ALL it takes is one jerk with a RFID reader and now he has my CC card number....heck I refuse to have the chip in my credit card and debit card for this reason, until the tech is more mature I don't see it as secure enough..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    Yeah I am one to not be wearing the band, ALL it takes is one jerk with a RFID reader and now he has my CC card number....heck I refuse to have the chip in my credit card and debit card for this reason, until the tech is more mature I don't see it as secure enough..
    exactly why its based on the key to the world room charge system and not directly imputing credit card information onto an rfid band. i highly doubt the big guns at visa, mastercard, and american express would ever agree to that ever taking place. while true someone with an rfid reader could theoretically get your key to the world code number off the rfid, it wouldn't be any use to them. even then going beyond that if they theoretically could after all that effort make use of the information, program it onto a new bracelet and match the bracelet id's to disguise it from disney programming, you could still use your previous purchases to illustrate those charges that were made were false. this is not as lax and dangerous of a system as you suggest.

I'm not going to do it period. I just don't like things on my wrist. I'm weird like that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I'm not going to do it period. I just don't like things on my wrist. I'm weird like that.
    lol see now THATS a valid reason

The fact is you were already being tracked to almost the same extent before through many different avenues, now they are just streamlining it and making it a bit more obvious to a degree. whenever you paid with anything other then cash, whenever you entered and exited a park, whenever you booked a fastpass or a dining reservation, thats all information the company was tracking already. you can't avoid the tracking no matter what you do in WDW so why not just keep blocking ads and have an equal if not enhanced experience with magic band.
    Yup the "key to the world card" tracks same stuff. The magic band seems more convienant, as I won't have to keep getting it out of my purse or lanyard pocket. Plus always had a fear of accidentally dropping down an elevator shaft or dropping it somewhere in the parks where you can't easily pick it up after.

Only ever used a key to the world card on the cruises, and would have opted out of that if I could. I don't vacation the way that apparently the average guest does. I don't charge things to my room. Not drinks, not food, not things at the gift shops... just no.

Everybody says the magic bands will make things more convenient, but I don't see it that way at all. It's another piece of carp that I have to deal with and I don't want to. Carrying my gate pass and the fastpasses and whatever seriously isn't a trial. Getting them out of my wallet when I need them isn't a big deal. If I have a paper fastpass, I can see the time on it. If the system doesn't remember I have a fastpass, I'm don't get to ride. Not a danger with a paper one.

So no, I don't see anything convenient about it.

I'm not a fan and I don't see myself ever becoming one. My friend tells me I'm a curmudgeon and that may be true, but it looks like I will be staying away for a while. I'm seeing very little out of Disney that makes me want to go. There are a few things, but not much. And a whole lot of reasons I don't want to go.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: SATIRE of Disney Magic Bands - Wave Of The Future!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    1. Parenting Plus. Although I wasn’t spanked and chose not to spank any of my eight sons, many Disney guests choose to exercise their constitutional and biblical rights to use negative reinforcement when raising their own guest sons and daughters. (See Focus on the Family.) Minor electric shocks from the bracelets will teach your children to avoid danger and will make your kids more user friendly for your busy schedules.
    Here's a quick psychology pet peeve. This is not negative reinforcement. It is in fact the exact opposite. In psychological terms there are four types of behavioral modification stimuli. They are separated along two axes: Positive/negative and reinforcement/punishment.

Positive: giving the subject something
    Negative: taking something away from the subject
    Reinforcement: stimulus is pleasurable to the subject
    Punishment: stimulus is displeasureable to the subject

So negative reinforcement is actually taking away something that the subject doesn't like to reward it for good behavior. For example, when we feel hungry we eat. This removes (negative) the displeasurable feeling of hunger (reinforcement).

Spanking is actually positive punishment. We are adding (positive) pain (punishment).

Ok I'm done.

Oh yeah, Magic bands are stupid. They only thing they are adding that makes them different than the room keys resort guests can use for everything (including credit cards) already is photopass and fastpass. It's not even worth the press release. As far as I know the big brother stuff like Cinderella knowing your name or, Aurora knowing whether you like her better in the pink dress or blue dress and having the fairies change it accordingly, are still in development.

...Except for the Aurora thing. I just made that up.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234