Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dreamer

Ticket price increase tomorrow 6/2!

Prices are going up for tickets at both WDW and DLR. Here are the new prices.

Magic Your Way: Facts on 2013 Walt Disney World Resort Prices « Disney Parks Blog

Interesting to see that a one day pass to MK will now be $5 more than EPCOT, DHS, and AK. Guess we need to foot an extra $5 to pay for NFL?

• Co-Host of USWP

Re: Ticket price increase tomorrow 6/2!

Disney will continue to raise prices until they receive push back from consumers.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

For what reasoning are they giving behind this? I find it interesting though they are chanrging more for the park that has the most experiences, almost like they realized that people knew that was the best value?

Also this is why I'm not going to WDW for awhile, they've priced at least one family out...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    For what reasoning are they giving behind this? I find it interesting though they are chanrging more for the park that has the most experiences, almost like they realized that people knew that was the best value?

Also this is why I'm not going to WDW for awhile, they've priced at least one family out...
    Unfortunately, Disney has priced out a lot of families. I am no longer able to take my family on Disney vacations because of price as well. I literally cannot afford them anymore. But then again, your family and mine are not the demographic they are targeting anymore.

With my family it isn't choice but necessity. I just cannot afford to spend money on Disney when I can get so much more value out of say, a vacation to Universal or SeaWorld, or both. Instead of building Disney memories with my kids I will be building memories of Universal and/or SeaWorld instead.

• former CM

I wonder if this will create just the slightest ill will among parents
    who grew up in families that could more easily afford to visit the Magic Kingdom
    in the 1970s and early 80s.

The $5 MK increase may not sound like that much,
    but this is yet another year when Magic Kingdom admission
    will have increased by more than the inflation rate
    while many incomes have not increased.

Universal Orlando has been spending lots of money in ways that match what guests want. Evidence: the magnificent Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which is about to dramatically improve. Universal Orlando's attendance has recently been steadily increasing while WDW's has been pretty flat. When I think of Disney World today I think partly of a broken Yeti and MagicBands.

Disney's board should consider bringing in Universal's Steve Burke (a former Disney executive) as the new CEO in 2015 when Bob Iger has announced he will step down. Burke's Universal contract will soon expire. Unfortunately Iger may control Disney's board the way Michael Eisner used to, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him to stay on as CEO for 3-5 years beyond 2015. George K. at WDW will be forced to implement mediocrity (like the too expensive MagicBands) of Thomas Staggs, though Staggs (with his lack of studio experience) might move on if he's not seen as the best choice in 2015. He might have Iger on his side though.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-02-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
    Prices are going up for tickets at both WDW and DLR. Here are the new prices.

Magic Your Way: Facts on 2013 Walt Disney World Resort Prices « Disney Parks Blog

Interesting to see that a one day pass to MK will now be $5 more than EPCOT, DHS, and AK. Guess we need to foot an extra $5 to pay for NFL?
    Disney can blame new additions for price increases but prices are what ever the market allows them to be set at and has nothing to do with cost of investment.

Disney sees themselves as top dog and feel they only need streamline service and cut back on expenses currently so thats what we're seeing. I'm actually ok with continuing on this path and hope they keep accelerating just so we can reach bottom and have it bounce back. I've enjoyed my own history with Disney but maybe it is time for a new king to rise as it were.

Businesses will only try when they're hungry after all.

I'm not currently planning a Disney trip and if prices continue as they are I'll probably go once a decade now which I'm ok with especially at the current rate of expansion. I'll just attend my local park for Halloween yearly in the interim :B
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Oh jeez, another thread on it? I realize its for separate resorts, but its a given that Disney will always raise prices. Another thread just means more pages of complaints. And pushes buttons on a topic that's already hot enough as it is.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

to the people saying that universal is so great because they aren't pricing people out and keeping things good for the little guy i say wait for the construction to be done lol. I guarantee you big ticket price increases are right around the corner there too.

Just to add some perspective. my very first visit as a young child in 1993; a one day ticket was $35.00, and a 5 day super duper pass was $170.00 (which was today's version of the regular ticket with all of the extra add ons basically). with these new prices, that means over the last 20 years a 1 day ticket costs increased by $55.00 and an equivalent package to the super duper pass costs shockingly $184.00 more and thats not even including no expiration. I wish i had opened up a successful theme park because those increases and the assumed margins must be insane.

OK, so it's not a surprise that the ticket prices got bumped up; this happens every year and the Disney parks are such a "phenomenal value" you know. But honestly, even I'm surprised they had the cahones to actually dip their toe into the dynamic pricing waters. What I mean specifically is that the Magic Kingdom is actually $5.00 more than the other three parks per day. There must have been fierce fighting at Team Disney over this policy change (old Disney vs. new Disney butting heads). All parks were meant to be an equal experience and priced that way in the eyes of the public. When Disney MGM opened with 6 or so attractions it was priced the same as the Magic Kingdom (and it was even more popular because it was new). And Epcot is actually a built out park and it could be argued that it has as many experiences as the Magic Kingdom.

The reality is that we're now going to start seeing Disney try to price their parks based on attendance factors. If you buy the multi-day tickets you're probably going to pay one price but just watch, the cost of one day tickets will soon begin to vary by day of the week, holiday periods, etc. We've made the symbolic switch toward that with this MK price difference (which at first I thought was a typo).

As for APs, I'm surprised how much they really got worked over. Honestly, if you've won the lotto recently you could care less how much the pass costs, you just want the convenience of the pass. But seriously, a $130 increase? The words "highway robbery" somehow seem understated. Why would you do this to your most loyal customer?

I respect Disney's desire to make a profit (and continue to fund my pension as I will get one in a few years since I'm actually a former resorts cast member), but I do think that they just *****, and poke, and ***** and poke and don't realize that the balloon is going to pop sooner or later with the consumer. People are going to vote with their wallets, fewer Disney trips and instead of visiting Epcot they'll actually head to the real Japan for the same costs or less plus they can see a much better Disney product there anyway with TDL and TDS.

Just mind boggling.....

OK, so it's not a surprise that the ticket prices got bumped up; this happens every year and the Disney parks are such a "phenomenal value" you know. But honestly, even I'm surprised they had the cahones to actually dip their toe into the dynamic pricing waters. What I mean specifically is that the Magic Kingdom is actually $5.00 more than the other three parks per day. There must have been fierce fighting at Team Disney over this policy change (old Disney vs. new Disney butting heads). All parks were meant to be an equal experience and priced that way in the eyes of the public. When Disney MGM opened with 6 or so attractions it was priced the same as the Magic Kingdom (and it was even more popular because it was new). And Epcot is actually a built out park and it could be argued that it has as many experiences as the Magic Kingdom.

The reality is that we're now going to start seeing Disney try to price their parks based on attendance factors. If you buy the multi-day tickets you're probably going to pay one price but just watch, the cost of one day tickets will soon begin to vary by day of the week, holiday periods, etc. We've made the symbolic switch toward that with this MK price difference (which at first I thought was a typo).

As for APs, I'm surprised how much they really got worked over. Honestly, if you've won the lotto recently you could care less how much the pass costs, you just want the convenience of the pass. But seriously, a $130 increase? The words "highway robbery" somehow seem understated. Why would you do this to your most loyal customer?

I respect Disney's desire to make a profit (and continue to fund my pension as I will get one in a few years since I'm actually a former resorts cast member), but I do think that they just pinch, and poke, and pinch and poke and don't realize that the balloon is going to pop sooner or later with the consumer. People are going to vote with their wallets, fewer Disney trips and instead of visiting Epcot they'll actually head to the real Japan for the same costs or less plus they can see a much better Disney product there anyway with TDL and TDS.

Just mind boggling.....

Sorry, I originally used a different word than pinched and it got edited (and no the word was not obscene). So my post got posted twice - please ignore one of them.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Just to add some perspective. my very first visit as a young child in 1993; a one day ticket was $35.00, and a 5 day super duper pass was $170.00 (which was today's version of the regular ticket with all of the extra add ons basically). with these new prices, that means over the last 20 years a 1 day ticket costs increased by $55.00 and an equivalent package to the super duper pass costs shockingly $184.00 more and thats not even including no expiration. I wish i had opened up a successful theme park because those increases and the assumed margins must be insane.
    It's not really fair to compare different years like this. $35 in 1993 would be worth $56 in 2013. While there's still a big increase, it's not a $55 increase. 1993 was also at the back end of a recession, and fewer people were making trips to Orlando. There's a much higher demand for park tickets today than there was twenty years ago. Disney was doing pretty much everything they could in the early 90's just to get people to show up. (I caught a $99/night rate at the Beach Club in early 1992. The 2013 equivalent would be unthinkable.)

There's also the difference in what people get for their admission. MGM was certainly the least value in 1993 for your $35 ticket - DHS has three more E-tickets now than MGM did then. And, even though MK and EPCOT haven't changed much since then (as far as number of attractions), there are certainly more ways to spend time in the park than there were twenty years ago.

The 5-Day ticket is a very difficult (and arguably unfair) comparison, given the massive difference in how the tickets are/were packaged. At that time, there were only 4-, and 5-Day Super Duper Passes - stay longer, and it was expected that you'd buy an Annual pass and get the water park add-ons. Otherwise, if, for example, you spent six days, you'd have to arrange something weirder than simply buying a 6-Day today. No Expiration has also been a bit of a pain for Disney, hence why they're trying to limit it as an option - it might have been a nice bonus in 1993, but it's not even remotely worth it now for most guests, given Disney's other ticket options, and including it throws off the price comparison. The 2013 option of buying a 5-Day Park Hopper with Water Parks (eg, exactly the length of ticket for your trip) would be about $400. The 5-Day Super Duper Pass would be $275 in 2013 dollars - again, still an increase, but the current one also includes a fourth park. (The rest is relatively equivalent - swap Blizzard Beach for River Country and DisneyQuest for Pleasure Island.)

But, again, the biggest cost difference between 1993 and 2013 is demand.

Also, don't count out Universal going to $92/day as a factor in the increase. Disney almost has to price match any Universal increase or risk losing their perception as the marquee Orlando destination. (I feel like the $95/$90 split may in part be an attempt for Disney to have it both ways - let MK be the "marquee" park while otherwise beating Universal on price.)

But you can readily assume that all of the major parks have teams of people taking attendance figures and running math on them to figure out how to adjust pricing. If X attendance at Y ticket price yields Z profit, what X and Y values maximizes Z? If a higher Y leads to a smaller X but leads to larger Z, it's something they have to consider. People always seem to take it personally when they themselves feel "priced out", but I've never seen it as some sort of malice on the part of the parks.

If attendance drops, prices won't go down. All they'll do is what they did in 2009 - offer bigger discounts on hotel rooms. (I stayed at Coronado in late 2009 for $84/night.)

Quote Originally Posted by disneytom View Post
    But seriously, a $130 increase?
    I think you may have misread something, or you're comparing the full rate to a renewal rate. I think the increase is $30.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Oh jeez, another thread on it? I realize its for separate resorts, but its a given that Disney will always raise prices. Another thread just means more pages of complaints. And pushes buttons on a topic that's already hot enough as it is.
    I don't see anyone getting angry about this. However, it is disappointing to me that I literally cannot take my children on a wonderful vacation to Disney Parks. Financially it just makes more sense to spend my dollars at Universal and SeaWorld. I can spend more time and have more fun for my dollar if I choose to spend time at Universal and SeaWorld.

Frankly, Universal reminds me a lot of the way Disney used to be back in the "good old days". Even Universal's new 'value' resort will blow away Disney value resorts in cost, amenities, etc.

Don't get me wrong; if I suddenly win the lottery, I'll still take my kids to Disney resorts. But until my income drastically changes, I will be choosing to spend my money at SeaWorld and Universal, not at Disney.

for the record...I LOVE DISNEY! This is not an anti-disney rant.

Not this one, Monkey. But there other one created there were a few.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Not this one, Monkey. But there other one created there were a few.
    That's too bad. I don't have anything but good memories of Disney. Unfortunately they've priced themselves right out of good memories for my kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast