Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: 2012 Walt Disney World theme park attendance announced

Quote Originally Posted by BSusanJ View Post
    ...if overall visitors have increased by 18% in that short time frame, doesn't Disney's relatively flat attendance look even worse? I.e., more people are coming to the area, but Disney isn't picking up many of them?
    Exactly.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by BSusanJ View Post
    According to visitorlando.com, in 2009 Orlando had a total of 46,583,000 visitors. In 2011 (the last year of their statistics), there were 55,168,000 visitors, a total increase of 8,585,000 visitors over that time frame, or 18.4%. Obviously there are a whole lot of visitors floating around Orlando who are not visiting the theme parks. But if overall visitors have increased by 18% in that short time frame, doesn't Disney's relatively flat attendance look even worse? I.e., more people are coming to the area, but Disney isn't picking up many of them?
    I thin this speaks volumes about how Disney has lost a lot of the Convention business.

That while conventioneers might stay, and have conventions on WDW property they aren't going to the parks. And that people who come to Orlando for large conventions, they aren't going to the parks either. Very interesting.

I wish we had the raw visitor data for all 7 of the major parks here in Orlando!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I thin this speaks volumes about how Disney has lost a lot of the Convention business.

That while conventioneers might stay, and have conventions on WDW property they aren't going to the parks. And that people who come to Orlando for large conventions, they aren't going to the parks either. Very interesting.

I wish we had the raw visitor data for all 7 of the major parks here in Orlando!
    I'm betting it would tell a different story..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Really? Do have different numbers? If so, where do they come from, and why not post them?
    Because I don't want to get arrested. lol

But seriously, these numbers look as if they are counting some Guests for re-entrys at Disney. They seem far too high. There is no way the Magic Kingdom is getting an average of 48,000 visitors a day. That's just too high. That's more than half of what the Coliseum can hold. (The LA one, not the one in Rome)

Granted, I know these aren't "in-park" numbers...

But they're still too high.
    -Bill

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Such a scandal bill!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    But seriously, these numbers look as if they are counting some Guests for re-entrys at Disney. They seem far too high. There is no way the Magic Kingdom is getting an average of 48,000 visitors a day. That's just too high. That's more than half of what the Coliseum can hold. (The LA one, not the one in Rome)

Too bad Disney doesn't apply the same creativity to innovating its theme parks that it does with spinning its visitor numbers.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I hope people keep peeling off to UNI because WDW is way too crowded... I will not miss them

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I don't know Bill... I work at MK and this place is PACKED. All the time... We have extended hours every night.... and last week.. for the first time in the history of Magic Kingdom... we extended by 2 hours...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I really think you have to take the TEA report with a grain of salt. First, the report provides a very general description of its methodology. None of the big Florida parks release official information regarding attendance. So the TEA report is at best an estimate and at worst throwing darts. The report should go the extra mile and layout the actual math used to make each park calculation. There is no motivation for another entity to steal how they calculate the numbers because TEA offers the report for free. Why would another entity steal the TEA method, invest the time and money (lots of money) to research the parks (worldwide) when the stats are available for free?

I believe that TEA is ambiguous about their calculations because the method would be subject to criticism -- undermining the report's credibility.

Don't forget, TEA is an business organization meant to promote themed entertainment. It is in the interest of its members (Disney, Universal, etc.) to depict a thriving, robust industry.

Im sure there is a certain saturation at the parks. As stated above the parks are packed. IOA has some room to increase but it too will hit it's saturation point and still only have a smaller piece of the pie in Florida.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I don't know Bill... I work at MK and this place is PACKED. All the time... We have extended hours every night.... and last week.. for the first time in the history of Magic Kingdom... we extended by 2 hours...
    The fact that you work there doesn't really matter in this particular case, though I give you much respect.

As far as you extending by 2 hours... well, actually, the Magic Kingdom has extended hours by 3 hours in the past, and as far as it happening a lot, well, that's not a sign that the park is getting higher than anticipated attendance, it's a sign that you have the wrong people planning the park hours... or they're being forced to plan the hours this way because of flawed budgeting.

Take this into account... In the early 90s, the Magic Kingdom was open until 1am every single night during the summer months. This year, they only planned 11pm closings. That doesn't make sense at all. The park was just as packed in the early 90s, and on top of that, you used to have a lot more people locked in queues. Now they're all out in the park because of Fastpass.

My point: The Magic Kingdom only feels more crowded. It's not actually as crowded as you think it is.
    -Bill

• Banned User

Boy I just dont know about that. We were at WDW both in July and Thanksgiving of last year, and it was INSANE. Walkways were unbearable, restaurants were unavailable and attraction queues were not worth waiting in.
    The only break we got was a day at USO and IOA. Even with the additions, it was more than bearable and a few attractions were borderline walk ons.
    My experience is that MK is Much busier than 10 years ago.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Because I don't want to get arrested. lol

It's not an average of 48,000 a day though.

Disneyland gets more visitors on average per day than MK. The fact that MK is beating out DL means that their holiday seasons are just super extreme. So, no there's probably not 48,000 on most days--but there A TON during Summer and Christmastime. Enough to edge them above Disneyland.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Boy I just dont know about that. We were at WDW both in July and Thanksgiving of last year, and it was INSANE. Walkways were unbearable, restaurants were unavailable and attraction queues were not worth waiting in.
    The only break we got was a day at USO and IOA. Even with the additions, it was more than bearable and a few attractions were borderline walk ons.
    My experience is that MK is Much busier than 10 years ago.
    Your experience does not equal the majority, especially traveling in July and Thanksgiving, two historically extremely busy periods. But even so, yes, the parks feel busier, but that's only an illusion due to FastPass, Dining Reservations 180 days out, and some really bad crowd control.
    -Bill

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

So I made a spreadsheet with data from 1991 - 2012 with all the Disney, Universal and SeaWorld parks.
    http://bit.ly/11X7na7

Now I have calculated the average daily attendance:

MK: 48,043
    EP: 30,309
    DH: 27,156
    AK: 27,391

US: 16,972
    IOA: 21,865
    SW: 14,679

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast