• Future Imagineer!!

Honeymoon in WDW :D

Hello everyone!!

I'm a veteren on the Disneyland boards, but having never been to WDW in my life this is newer to me. My fiance (who also has never been to WDW) and I are going there for our honeymoon from Nov 4-10. We're going to stay in one of the Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest rooms so that's all taken care of. But I would love any hints and tips you guys have for us! As I said we are hardcore DL vets, but this is the first time we are traveling to the east coast parks

Thanks everyone!

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: Honeymoon in WDW :D

Hmmm… with seven days of Disney bliss ahead of you, I say soak it in! Park hopping at WDW is an ENTIRELY different experience than park hopping at DLR. Given your schedule, you can easily devote an entire day to each park, with “hopping” only if one park doesn’t offer you much of interest or if you have a personal fave attraction you want to hit up every day.

Mostly, take advantage of the resort atmosphere. Relax, enjoy your room and all the amenities available to you. Get your money out of the resort as well as the park.

Much joy to the both of you in your new life together!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Minion

The Port Orleans resorts are a great choice for a honeymoon! They're on the quiet side and dripping with romantic atmosphere. The boat ride to Downtown Disney is also a lot of fun.

The average WDW guest walks about eight miles a day, so it can be a lot more tiring than a day at Disneyland. Make sure to wear good shoes and take breaks.

• formerly very helpful

My wife and I honeymooned at the Port Orleans French Quarter. You'll have a blast. My advice, make sure they know it's your honeymoon. We got a free upgrade for our room. We got a couple extra trinkets here and there. It wouldn't have made or broken the trip, but it was nice.
    Maybe show up in matching shirts that say "Honeymooners" or something similar.
    Don't laugh. We flew like that and got upgraded to first class.

WDW parks close much earlier than DL/DCA, so plan accordingly.

I found that I didn't have enough to do at night.

Also, rent a car. WDW transportation is awful.

• Minion

My advice, make sure they know it's your honeymoon.
    Yes! If you've noted it on your reservation, they should have celebration buttons waiting for you when you check in. If not, mention it's your honeymoon and they'll give them to you. All kinds of pixie dust can come your way while you're wearing them.

Also, rent a car. WDW transportation is awful.
    This is a highly personal thing - I couldn't disagree more. The fabulous WDW transportation system is one of the main reasons I love WDW so much. Not having to drive is such a bonus for me.

• formerly very helpful

Unfortunately, with the closing of the clubs at Pleasure Island, a lot of the night time fun was eliminated. I guess it will help force you to get more sleep for the next day's festivities.

I do agree with you, ttintagel. I LOVE that I don't have to drive when I'm there. However, while I have no real trouble with it on property, if you have any desire to leave the property, you're at a bit of a disadvantage.

Hi
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!
    We got married out in WDW in 2009 and stayed in Port Orleans and although we had been before we wanted to do a few different things to mark this trip as being different.

We did a firework boat trip, now we did this on the Grand I for wishes as our wedding guests were with us for it but I know there are other options where it isnt you hiring he whole boat....the name of the boat escapes me but it is for wishes too, I think it might be called a 'firework cruise' also if you look around you will find that people book with others that are in the park at the same time as them to do the Grand I. There are always things on different forum/message boards so it is worth looking out for those as it is a fantastic experience.

Totally agree get the celebration button, we had so many lovely comments and responses from both cast members and other guests, with in walmart one day when I had forgotten to take it off

Take a walk down the boardwalk at night, it is a really nice atmosphere down there and you can stop at different places to have a drink or on the beach

There are celebration photo shoots you can book to mark the occasion at lots of different locations.

At Port Orleans there are also horse carriage rides you can take.

Are you sure that people walk eight miles a day? That seems really high. I would have thought 2-3 at the most.

Concerning the transportation, I felt like I wasted way too much time on the buses, so half way through I switched to driving. I ended up saving a lot of time. If I were to go again and rely on Disney transpotation, I'd stay at a monorail resort. The bus service just isn't efficient.

• Future Imagineer!!

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone!!! I did put on our reservation that we were honeymooning

We don't so much mind bus riding and stuff like that....we always bring books/game devices with us so waiting isn't unbearable, and we would rather not drive if we can avoid it...

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    Are you sure that people walk eight miles a day? That seems really high. I would have thought 2-3 at the most.

Epcot World Showcase alone is 1.2 miles. That’s just from Mexico to Canada. Over all there are 47 square miles...You can EASILY do 8 miles a day. I know last time, over a three day weekend, we walked over 45 miles, not including the long walk around our resort, Coronado Springs.

MarenBoBarren, we are having a Disneymoon too!!!! I have done soooo much research. With the research and all the countless number of times I've been to WDW my #1 recommendation is RELAX!!! Lol

Rushing around the parks can take it out of you, but take at least 10-15 minutes just to sit and people watch. Stop and smell the roses. Try and find the hidden mickeys, notice the details the imagineers have worked so hard to place around the park. Another recommendation is to take some time away from the parks, maybe tour the resorts or Downtown Disney.

Most of all let the kid in you free!!!

HAVE A BLASTY BLAST

All over-'85 through 1999; CR-'06; Offsite-'09(DFi first time!!);CS-'13;POR-'13(Honeymoon!!)

Congratulations - I hope you have a magical time.

My advice would be to look beyond he parks for some WDW unique attractions. The water parks, resorts and their restaurants and dinner shows, downtown Disney & places like that which are very Disney and unique to Florida.

• Knowsalot

First and foremost I have to tell you, you want to stay at the Grand Floridian. Great place, you can't do better. Very romantic and top notch service.

Then you'll want to be sure to do the entire Epcot World Showcase... it's like Around the World in 8 hours... Great Honeymoon flavor - and like others have said, be sure to let EVERYONE know you're on your Honeymoon.

Bon Voyage!
    Last edited by knowsalot; 06-12-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Wanted to add the note about World Shocase.

• Minion

You may be there when some of the holiday decorations start to go up! Aside from the ones in the parks, it's fun to hop on the monorail and check out the decorations at the Contemporary, Polynesian, and grand Floridian resorts. (Combining it with a pub crawl is extra fun. Lapu Lapu!)

Congratulations! How exciting for you two! Here are my tips for Disney Honeymooning:

1. Make sure you catch the nighttime water pageant! It's free and you get to watch it from the beach. My favorite place to watch it from is the beach at Fort Wilderness Campground, but you can see it from (I believe) the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, or Contemporary resorts as well.

2. Pace yourself. WDW has a lot more ground to cover than DL and especially since it's your honeymoon you're going to want to pace yourself so that you can enjoy yourselves!

3. Watch all of the fireworks. The fireworks are always such a magical time and it's romantic when you're watching them with that special someone.

4. Treat yourselves to a sit-down dinner. WDW has so many options for this and it's a good break from the hussle of rides and attractions to have conversation with each other (which I know you have conversations in line for attractions, but conversations over dinner can be a little bit slower pace because you're taking a break from the rush).

5. Take lots of pictures. WDW is one of the easiest places to find someone who is willing to take a picture for you with your camera. Take advantage of that.

6. Walk around the boardwalk. It's free!

That's all I've got! I hope you have tons of fun!
    "Life is brief, but when it's gone, love goes on and on." -Disney's Robin Hood