Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Avatar Land Cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Disney continues to tell us that they have every intention of creating this land. I'm pretty sure its on.
    I think they are going to create it. Isn't Avatar 2 supposed to come out 2015?
    For the love of Disney....

I think it could have a lot of potential. Avatar the movie had great visuals which could make for an interesting theme park environment, especially at night.

Saying that I think a Star Wars land offers more visuals to choose from and would have more appeal so I'd go for that first but at DHS not AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    That analogy doesn't apply in this situation (although it is interesting that one would evoke the specter of the failure of our country in the defense of Disney). Disney Corp's theme park division is afflicted with a chronic disease called sequelitis, which often afflicts film studios and television networks. Its symptoms include creative laziness, extreme aversion to taking creative risks, the obsessive repetition of old forms, the unrestrained growth of its bureaucratic hierarchy, toxic internal politics, a selfserving groupthink marked by arrogance, and the rejection of the philosophical heritage that originally made the company world famous for theme park originality, innovation and imagination. There is no cure; the only way to mitigate the symptoms is for the disease to run its course with a prominent object-lesson. Avatarland would work quite well in this regard; its failure would be a success for the company.
    In both instances failure is hoped for simply because you disagree with a point of view. The end result is inconsequential.

Sequels, Prequels, reboots and films based on existing material are the current trend in all major studios not just Disney. Almost any theme park making a major investment is trying to tie themselves to an IP, not only Disney. Like anything the trend will pass and something else will become all the rage soon enough.

I agree that it can lead to creative laziness but can also lead to opportunity. The Dark Knight trilogy was the umpteenth reboot of Batman but I did not discount it because it was. Iím glad I wasnít close-minded enough to give it a chance. It is all how the creative people react to the hand they are dealt. It can serve as a crutch or a point of inspiration.

So you really expect that Avatar failing will bring people to their senses and follow the path you think they should go? They can see this not meeting expectations any number of ways and choose an even worse path. You have already made your opinion known what you think of the decisions they have made so far. Do you think they canít do worse? Be careful what you wish for.

Wow you guys take passion for your opinion to a whole new level

Personally I did not like the movie and probably will not be rushing to the cinema to see either sequel but I can see how this concept would fit in perfectly with AK.
    I think this park deserves some love and because of all of the "heated debate" that is still flying around forums after...how long ago was it announced? it will certainly bring in lots of crowds and hopefully get people to see all if the other aspects of this very different park.

I think that Star Wars land (I can wish for park but I think it will be a BIG land in DHS) is needed to be anounced and soon. Disney are falling behind Universal at the moment with the new concepts they are bringing in especially with HP phase 2 being opened in just a year!
    Disney need to get a move on with things and get building, seriously how long has fantasyland been being built for now? I am baffled that they put the last piece of the mine train in this week yet it still wont be ready till next year.
    I think this is the biggest issue with Disney at the moment, not the projects they are deciding to do because we all know that once they are built we and millions of others will pay to go and visit them but it is the length of time they take to get things done.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Make no mistake, I truly hope it gets built: as I've said before, the only way to cure narrow-vision execs like Tom Staggs of having boneheaded ideas like Avatarland-in-DAK is for them to sink a mountain of money into building it, and then have it fall flat on its face. Followed by the inevitable questions from the stockholders, such as "After spending over eight billion dollars to purchase Lucas and Marvel, which we own, why are you spending money to license a property that someone else owns -- much less a property that no one cares about?"
    Even if we wanted it so, I don't think failure is a possibility anyway. This is because rides and attractions are so lacking at DAK as it is, that people will jump at the idea of a new attraction especially near the E-ticket level.

It is sad though how much money Disney seems to be spending on franchising and it all seems like a cluttered mess. It's like they're buying all of these franchises and they don't seem to know what to do with them.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Carmatts View Post
    In both instances failure is hoped for simply because you disagree with a point of view. The end result is inconsequential.

Sequels, Prequels, reboots and films based on existing material are the current trend in all major studios not just Disney. Almost any theme park making a major investment is trying to tie themselves to an IP, not only Disney. Like anything the trend will pass and something else will become all the rage soon enough.

I agree that it can lead to creative laziness but can also lead to opportunity. The Dark Knight trilogy was the umpteenth reboot of Batman but I did not discount it because it was. I’m glad I wasn’t close-minded enough to give it a chance. It is all how the creative people react to the hand they are dealt. It can serve as a crutch or a point of inspiration.

So you really expect that Avatar failing will bring people to their senses and follow the path you think they should go? They can see this not meeting expectations any number of ways and choose an even worse path. You have already made your opinion known what you think of the decisions they have made so far. Do you think they can’t do worse? Be careful what you wish for.
    none of this makes it right though. Avatar could still be considered a grandiose "success" and still permanently damage the integrity of the park and its theme, that was so masterfully crafted by Joe Rhode to begin with. this really at its core isn't about the development of IP's, the purchasing of franchises, how weak of a franchise they chose (whch they did choose a very weak one), or even Disney's lack of imagination. It all started with the simple fact that trying to shoe horn a land about aliens into a park about our natural world simply does not fit and is wrong. while the park needed e-tickets i agree, they could have easily expanded upon their continental land concept and not brought in a poor movie based on aliens because "the pictures look pretty". this addition will ruin the park's integrity going forward, the one park outside of the MK in florida that truly maintained it.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Ak was ruined the moment they put the carnival in it. Good lord. I went to AK for the first time last week, probably the best themed park I have ever seen, then suddenly... BAM! Taken right out of it, thrown into a parking lot.. Feeling like reality was slapping me in the face.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    Ak was ruined the moment they put the carnival in it. Good lord. I went to AK for the first time last week, probably the best themed park I have ever seen, then suddenly... BAM! Taken right out of it, thrown into a parking lot.. Feeling like reality was slapping me in the face.
    If that's when reality struck then the park really has failed.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

When I say reality I'm talking reality of being in Orlando. I was being taken to all these incredible places, this realm of discovery.. I did not need to discover a parking lot carnival. It truly saddens me that it is in that park. Truly a shame.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Metro-Retro Historian

Let Universal Studios be the place for riding movies. Let Animal Kingdom be the place for riding animals. Wait, that didn't come out right. Whatever, I've said all I really need to say about Avatar in all the other threads. I can't really do this anymore.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    If you examine the backstory though and really get involved in the intricacies of the area even that fits in to the park really well. it may be a bit of an eyesore and not the best addition that could be there but it fits very well in the area, has a ton of detail (more then many areas of the resort), and is an interesting little jab at the classic american roadside carnival. i get why people don't like it but if you understood it a bit better then perhaps you wouldn't dislike it as much.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    If you examine the backstory though and really get involved in the intricacies of the area even that fits in to the park really well. it may be a bit of an eyesore and not the best addition that could be there but it fits very well in the area, has a ton of detail (more then many areas of the resort), and is an interesting little jab at the classic american roadside carnival. i get why people don't like it but if you understood it a bit better then perhaps you wouldn't dislike it as much.
    I get it but I think it was still a bad approach for a Disney park to take (same goes for DCA's Paradise Pier). It's not really a homage or a jab if there isn't much that separates it from the actual roadside carnivals that currently exist. And if people want that kind of experience that they easily get it in a majority of the 50 states. They shouldn't have to pay $90 for a fake carnival when they can experience an authentic one for much cheaper (and in some places for free).

DAK was poorly planned. Money was wasted in areas that weren't going to attract much tourist interest and not enough on areas that would help inspire park growth.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I know it is not going to happen but it would be cool if the construction walls came down and disney went, "Surprise! We built Beastly Kingdom instead of Avatarland."

• Heavy Breather

Oh for Force's sake, here we go again.

Like I've said before, Avatar was an OK flick. Definitely not Cameron's best(Terminator 2). I personally think an Avatarland would look beautiful. But they should wait and see how the sequels fare. It could be the next big pop culture phenomenon, maybe maybe not. Lets not be so quick to dismiss it. We just have to wait and see if it has any lasting appeal like something along the lines of Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think WDI is waiting off on the project until after DHS gets "fixed"/(worked on). They saw the success of Carsland and all the fixes around DCA so they need to work on a park that just not only has a reputation of a half day park, it is a half day park (probably the second half). AK lacks attractions but its theming makes it a full day park. To me having a park that works but less rides in it is better than a park that does not work and has a few rides in it. As I say with all WDI projects is we will have to wait until Expo.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast