Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Avatar Land Cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I think WDI is waiting off on the project until after DHS gets "fixed"/(worked on). They saw the success of Carsland and all the fixes around DCA so they need to work on a park that just not only has a reputation of a half day park, it is a half day park (probably the second half). AK lacks attractions but its theming makes it a full day park. To me having a park that works but less rides in it is better than a park that does not work and has a few rides in it. As I say with all WDI projects is we will have to wait until Expo.
    Walt Disney Imagineering doesn't decide when and which projects move forward, just like Walt Disney Imagineering didn't pursue Avatar.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    If you examine the backstory though and really get involved in the intricacies of the area even that fits in to the park really well. it may be a bit of an eyesore and not the best addition that could be there but it fits very well in the area, has a ton of detail (more then many areas of the resort), and is an interesting little jab at the classic american roadside carnival. i get why people don't like it but if you understood it a bit better then perhaps you wouldn't dislike it as much.

I have to disagree completely. In a theme park, backstories are not written down.. They aren't there for someone to go read then step into the land. A backstory is told through the design and thematics of the land. In a theme park it heavily relies on what we can see with our eyes, and hear. When I entered DAK and travelled its many wonderful themed areas, I was immersed, and transported by the incredible details, sounds, scenery, and props.

Why am I so upset by this carnival.. because it just simply does not reach the level the rest of this park has, it is just not Disney, and it saddens me they felt the need to build something so watered down and obnoxious in an otherwise gorgeous park. If building a parking lot carnival works for you, then that is great.. but I have been to Africa, and believe me.. DAK transported me back there... This just transports me to the McDonalds parking lot the carnival use to set up in back in my hometown.. and as much as I loved that carnival as a kid.. it has no place in this park.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I have to disagree completely. In a theme park, backstories are not written down.. They aren't there for someone to go read then step into the land. A backstory is told through the design and thematics of the land. In a theme park it heavily relies on what we can see with our eyes, and hear. When I entered DAK and travelled its many wonderful themed areas, I was immersed, and transported by the incredible details, sounds, scenery, and props.

Why am I so upset by this carnival.. because it just simply does not reach the level the rest of this park has, it is just not Disney, and it saddens me they felt the need to build something so watered down and obnoxious in an otherwise gorgeous park. If building a parking lot carnival works for you, then that is great.. but I have been to Africa, and believe me.. DAK transported me back there... This just transports me to the McDonalds parking lot the carnival use to set up in back in my hometown.. and as much as I loved that carnival as a kid.. it has no place in this park.
    I'm not overly commending them for the thought behind the design, however the creation of the design is certainly worth commending. true they should probably put in something that fits a little better with the incredible atmosphere of the park, I assure you I am the parks biggest advocate, but this is not merely to be snuffed off as watered down. the amount of detail that went into such a small area is extraordinary. when laying down the pavement it was purposefully cracked and aged, likewise with the road paint, the road signs placed around the entrance and exit to the area advertising whats about to come. the area is overly tacky because its supposed to be humorously tacky, examining americana and being a fun little area for kids in a park that seriously lacks adventures for them outside of regular zoo activities. If anything it actually serves the purpose of tying Dinoland USA to its theme of actually being the USA, without it, how could you really distinguish the America part from the lush Oasis/Discovery island plant life that surounds the area. I agree, they can do better and they can find a better use of the space, like perhaps a dinoland expansion which I have always believed that mini land was a temporary/permanent plug for until this came along. Chester and Hester's however isn't an abomination, its merely something that can be improved on. I compare it to what Mickey's toon town fair was in the magic kingdom. it was a nice little area for kids that served a purpose and eventually it was improved upon to give us a better overall experience in a new mini-land. again i would rather have this over avatar any day of the week.

• From the Garums

I think the big issue is that carnivals have a less-than-perfect reputation for bilking people out of their money with crooked games, and the perceived seediness of the workers. While Dinoland USA's workers aren't seedy because it's in a disney park, the bilking games are still there, and that stinks to see. People winning poorly made, oversized plush animals is just so out of line for what Disney is. You're supposed to go into a gift shop and spend $40 on that, dammit! not take 8 $5 attempts to win it by throwing a ball through a hoop!

The theme also, it's like "oh wow I'm in an incredible immersive amusement park... oh wait now I'm suddenly in a bad amusement park." Out of everything Disney's done, Dinoland's my least favorite. You're right to say that it is well detailed, Goofy Donald, but they skimped so much on the ride (an off-the-shelf wild mouse) that they were still able to make this insanely cheaply. It was a placeholder for a larger area, but being as it made money from the games, they never saw reason to change it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RexSaucy View Post
    It was a placeholder for a larger area, but being as it made money from the games, they never saw reason to change it.
    Meh, I don't really buy that rex. I just think they haven't really decided to build up and invest in the animal kingdom park yet and its a shame. they still have a huge expansion pad in between asia and africa along the wildlife express thats untouched, conservation station was supposed to be built out a bit more, camp minnie mickey was supposed to be fleshed out into a full north american kid friendly land, and dinoland was supposed to be "unplugged" and expanded upon. I just think that was the last action on their list and they haven't even gotten to step 1 yet. they really dont make a lot of money on those games from my experience, at least not as much as universal does. I truly hope that avatar ends up falling apart somehow so these actions come true but we will have to wait and see.

• From the Garums

Well, right that's what I meant. I didn't mean to be unclear. The whole dinosaur themed land was supposed to be larger, and have a roller coaster called "the excavator" as a centerpiece at one point, but that idea's gone by the wayside. The Neverland Files: The Excavator

• Minion

Well, right that's what I meant. I didn't mean to be unclear. The whole dinosaur themed land was supposed to be larger, and have a roller coaster called "the excavator" as a centerpiece at one point, but that idea's gone by the wayside. The Neverland Files: The Excavator
    it was my understanding that the coaster was cut due to budget cutbacks in the park's creation, not a piece to be added later. its highly unlikely this will ever be built now with expedition everest added later, however rumour's and thoughts have been that whatever would possibly replace dinorama would be most likely a continuation of the surrounding 'town' in some capacity leading into an extension of the dino institute representing a different group of prehistoric animals, such as a dino aviary or an ice age themed region.

• From the Garums

Goofy I know you like the dinorama, but would you be sad to see it go in favor of a new ride/themed area?

• Minion

Goofy I know you like the dinorama, but would you be sad to see it go in favor of a new ride/themed area?
    not at all (as long as it was the right ride/area of course). however i would prefer they would develop other areas first and utilize that space before tearing down current parts of the park. there is a massive expansion pad between africa and asia just to name one example.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Dinorama was a fast cheap way to boost the number of rides at an underdeveloped park by adding carnival attractions. My hat goes off to the imagineers that worked on it for trying to make the most of a bad assignment, but it's still a bad assignment. They won't tear it down before something else is made to pick up the slack that it's presently holding, but getting something going to make the dinorama obsolete so it can be taken out should be Animal Kingdom's top priority.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Dinorama was a fast cheap way to boost the number of rides at an underdeveloped park by adding carnival attractions. My hat goes off to the imagineers that worked on it for trying to make the most of a bad assignment, but it's still a bad assignment. They won't tear it down before something else is made to pick up the slack that it's presently holding, but getting something going to make the dinorama obsolete so it can be taken out should be Animal Kingdom's top priority.
    A truly sad lesson in why it should always be quality over quantity. Had the money they put into Dinorama been put into one Beastly Kingdom e-ticket (and that's all they need to start with), it could encouraged more growth for both lands.

As much as I hate the Pixarification of the parks, it seems the The Good Dinosaur is our only hope at the moment for Dinorama to be torn down and be replaced with something better (unless The Good Dinosaur ends up featuring a dino-carnival of sorts, then in which case, we're all screwed! )
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    A truly sad lesson in why it should always be quality over quantity. Had the money they put into Dinorama been put into one Beastly Kingdom e-ticket (and that's all they need to start with), it could encouraged more growth for both lands.

As much as I hate the Pixarification of the parks, it seems the The Good Dinosaur is our only hope at the moment for Dinorama to be torn down and be replaced with something better (unless The Good Dinosaur ends up featuring a dino-carnival of sorts, then in which case, we're all screwed! )
    Agreed but, its also wishful thinking. Dinorama was super cheap. I think the wild mouse was 5 million, not including the dressing disney added to it (or maybe it was 5 mill with the added dressing???).

That's not even a deposit on a true E-ticket.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Thumbs up Re: Avatar Land Cancelled?

Get rid of the ? mark and I would love this thread. Avatar Land Cancelled. (period dot)

All speculation aside: Avatar has already been awarded to a general contractor.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

It's like D23 could unleash a model of Avatarland, create a presentation panel and reveal during D23 when and how it is coming and people will still want it dead in the water. I was actually against Carsland and felt a whole land was not needed for a film that I didn't find that amazing. But it happened and it works.

After seeing that unfold I believe Avatarland will fit in the mold of Animal Kingdom. It is a form of Beastly Kingdom in my own opinion, despite the specifics people like to debate over, a fantasy world of animals is coming to the parks. It's different than dragons and unicorns and I kinda feel had Disney gone the dragon/unicorn angle, well, it almost feels like a half arse approach to creativity.

If Disney had created a Dragon mountain ride it wouldn't the first or last ride designed around a dragon. But with Avatar they will have attractions and a land that no one else can have. Avatar will only be found at a Disney theme park like Harry Potter can only be found at Universal Studios.

Universal Studios had a task of bringing a giant world to life and they did. I believe Disney can bring the world of Avatar to life and they will.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast