Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I'm starting to get very suspicious on the development of Avatar Land. It seems to be delayed for quite a while, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it gets scrapped altogether. It wouldn't be the first time Disney hypes up a project that would eventually get cancelled (*cough* Muppets Land *cough*). Maybe they are waiting for the next two Avatar movies before starting any construction. It would be pretty sad if it doesn't get made especially since Avatar is a gazillion dollar franchise, and would help Animal Kingdom's reputation of being more than a half a day park (which is obviously not true). I've heard of James Cameron having some "creative differences" with Disney, which will slow down the project. Does anyone know if any construction has started on this yet?
    I like to think of myself as a "realistic disney nerd"... yeaahhh maybe not.

• Senior Minion

Re: Avatar Land Cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by MrToddsMildRide View Post
    ...It would be pretty sad if it doesn't get made especially since Avatar is a gazillion dollar franchise...
    Avatar was a gazillion dollar hit at the box office, mainly due to its novel motion capture tech (which is now old hat) and the upcharge for 3D, but it wasn't (and isn't) a franchise. It created no memorable characters, sold no merchandise or music, and essentially has been forgotten by everyone except the diehard fans.

The sad thing about Avatarland being considered by Disney is that it shows how creatively bankrupt Disney has become. Once it was world famous for innovation and originality, now it rents the creations of others (those that it can't buy outright, that is).

So far as Avatarland getting built, the possibility looks slimmer every month that goes by without construction starting.

See these threads:

How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

Disney needs to put Avatar on hold.

Animal Kingdom's "Avatar Land" delayed, possibly permanently.

Disney still working on Avatar Land

Avatar 2 won't be out until 2016, at least. So.........

Why did Disney buy Avatar rights but not Discovery rights?

Original idea vs. Avatar poll

The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-05-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Considering that Avatar will only be a land in Animal Kingdom where it will fit thematically and it will bring the park further along as full day park, I fail to see the downside. The issue of whether it is a franchise makes no sense in the same argument on originality. Either the idea is a franchise or it is original. You can't have both as the GOAL. It's a "either or" proposition. It might become both if sufficiently successful.

I guess we expected Avatar to be a franchise since that's usually why IPs are licensed. It is certainly true of Star Wars and Cars (and other PIXAR brands) and not as much with Indiana Jones (memorable characters, but little merchandising opportunity).

Lets be clear, original ideas are not franchises. There is no memorable characters and no merchandising opportunities at all. They are merely rides, certainly good rides.

Thus, lets give Avatar its due. It is an original movie that doesn't function well as a franchise, but it might have life as a theme park ride. It could be the filler attraction that Animal Kingdom needs at minimum, but if Disney pulls off a Radiator Springs Racers II featuring the Blue Man Group, Animal Kingdom can have its cake.

How about some alternative scenarios? Look at how Harry Potter is presented. You mainly see the World of Harry Potter. There is no Harry Potter character in the park. You see him in the ride in brief moments, but that's all. Perhaps the land of Pandora can be depicted successfully. You don't need to see the blue aliens. The ecosystem and the dragons were the most successfully realized characterizations in the film.

I don't see why Disney need to announce Avatar at every single moment, but this sounds more like wishful thinking. Disney has so much on its plate at WDW that pushing back Avatar in favor of remaking DHS seems like a better bet, and they can always build Avatar around the time the sequel comes out, which builds upon the merchandising opportunities, thus reducing the contradictory arguments for a franchise versus originality.

• Senior Minion

Make no mistake, I truly hope it gets built: as I've said before, the only way to cure narrow-vision execs like Tom Staggs of having boneheaded ideas like Avatarland-in-DAK is for them to sink a mountain of money into building it, and then have it fall flat on its face. Followed by the inevitable questions from the stockholders, such as "After spending over eight billion dollars to purchase Lucas and Marvel, which we own, why are you spending money to license a property that someone else owns -- much less a property that no one cares about?"

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Make no mistake, I truly hope it gets built: as I've said before, the only way to cure narrow-vision execs like Tom Staggs of having boneheaded ideas like Avatarland-in-DAK is for them to sink a mountain of money into building it, and then have it fall flat on its face. Followed by the inevitable questions from the stockholders, such as "After spending over eight billion dollars to purchase Lucas and Marvel, which we own, why are you spending money to license a property that someone else owns -- much less a property that no one cares about?"
    You have a point, but Marvel can't be used in Orlando and I really don't know why they keep hesitating on a Star Wars Land. A Star Wars Land needs be fast tracked. Beyond Star Tours, what else can they create besides a carnival spinner and a pod racer? They need to come up with original ride ideas.

Then they will say, let do a Carsland. Followed by Star Wars Land and Avatar.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I dont know...there are a lot of construction walls up at AK....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Disney continues to tell us that they have every intention of creating this land. I'm pretty sure its on.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

People keep asking this question, and Disney execs keep saying its coming. It was confirmed once again, no more than a month ago. There is a brand new WDW travel special on Destination network that even includes Seven Dwarf mine train construction. It has EXTREMELY heavy Disney input in the special. The very last thing they talk about is an imagineer talking about Avatarland and how excited they are.

• Minion

if only it were true. however after wasting so much money in the rights i can't see how they could turn back now. they kid of reached the point of no return at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I have never understood wishing the failure of en entity because you disagree a decision they have made. Much like wishing for the failure of the country because you do not agree with the politics of the President. Avatarland failing will only make Disney more skittish (see DCA 1.0 going cheap in part because of Disneyland Paris initial troubles.)

How many of those execs who pushed for the deal will be around by the time Avatar is deemed a success or failure anyway? Disney plays musical chairs with their executive team a lot.

Look I'm not sold on Avatar either for all the reasons that have been discussed endlessly since it was announced but I certainly do not hope it fails, preventing WDI from making something great.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I dont know...there are a lot of construction walls up at AK....
    Construction walls went up for Hyperion Wharf and the Cinderella's Chateau / Aurora's Cottage complex. Doesn't mean anything as so far only the new home for Festival of the Lion King is actively being constructed.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Is that what the large area of walls is set up for as you cross the bridge or whatever??

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    Is that what the large area of walls is set up for as you cross the bridge or whatever??
    As you enter Harambe from Discovery Island? If so, yes, that is for the new theater.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Carmatts View Post
    I have never understood wishing the failure of en entity because you disagree a decision they have made. Much like wishing for the failure of the country because you do not agree with the politics of the President.
    That analogy doesn't apply in this situation (although it is interesting that one would evoke the specter of the failure of our country in the defense of Disney). Disney Corp's theme park division is afflicted with a chronic disease called sequelitis, which often afflicts film studios and television networks. Its symptoms include creative laziness, extreme aversion to taking creative risks, the obsessive repetition of old forms, the unrestrained growth of its bureaucratic hierarchy, toxic internal politics, a selfserving groupthink marked by arrogance, and the rejection of the philosophical heritage that originally made the company world famous for theme park originality, innovation and imagination. There is no cure; the only way to mitigate the symptoms is for the disease to run its course with a prominent object-lesson. Avatarland would work quite well in this regard; its failure would be a success for the company.

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast