Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Cars?

• Adventurer

Question Why Cars?

I'm rather curious as to why Disney decided on the Cars franchise to theme an entire land around when they had other (better) options. Cars is one of the weaker Pixar properties, and was not as well received by critics in comparison to other Pixar films. However, it was marketed well, and there is definitely the potential for significant merchandise revenue. Is this the sole reason they decided on Cars over a land themed after another franchise? Also, would you like to see a clone of Carsland at Walt Disney World?

• Senior Minion

Re: Why Cars?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSmollett View Post
    I'm rather curious as to why Disney decided on the Cars franchise to theme an entire land around when they had other (better) options.
    The answer is in Disney's focus on marketing specific franchise brands to specific demographics. Disney has long been determined to own the boy demographic (as they do the girl demographic with Disney Princesses), and Cars merchandise fit the bill: it has been a consistent top seller in the boy demographic for years.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-10-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• From the Garums

I think cars has a real attraction to Disney in that it is such an American movie. The idea of the small town, the thrill of car racing, the interstate highway system as freedom all harken back to the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Cars is a bigger hit with crowds in the central US than on the less idealistic, more disillusioned coasts.

Disneyworld is also very USA-centric. I'd say it's the main theme of the entire resort. Cars' imagery fits in well in that respect. As for other pixar franchises to theme a land around: A bugs life is a possibility, but I'd say that's more obscure and also one of the weaker reviewed Pixar properties. Incredibles would kind of prevent future Marvel expansion, but I'm sure it would be included in some way when they do get the rights to do east coast marvel properties. Finding Nemo is a strong candidate, but it could be seen as making the living seas in epcot a redundant area. Toy Story has so many rides all over the parks already that it's not economically feasible to relocate all of them, and if you don't it just oversaturates the idea. Wall-E would be a great fit in Tomorrowland, but would create a redundant area if it was one of his own. Ratatouille would be redundant with France in Epcot. Brave would be very similar to Fantasyland.

I think most of these properties would probably have a land more appealing to me than Cars would be, but between the incredible merchandising power of cars (guaranteed revenue), the fact that it's one of the least redundant lands they could make (the only place that's similar is frontierland, but that is more 1800's and less mid 20th century), and the fact that they get to save an enormous amount of money on development since it's a cloned land means that this was their best choice from a business standpoint. I just wish the business end wasn't so often opposed to us fanatics' wishes, sigh

• Nutty about Disney parks

John Lasseter who owns the Cars franchise has a lot of sway for one. To be fair the land does make some sense in DCA since the film was influenced by California car culture. I still don't think it should come to WDW though.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    John Lasseter who owns the Cars franchise has a lot of sway for one. To be fair the land does make some sense in DCA since the film was influenced by California car culture. I still don't think it should come to WDW though.
    Add the incredible merch sales the Cars movies produce and it does make sense financially and creatively to choose Cars over some of their other properties.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yes, Cars was not on the top of the list for gross movie dollars, however it is certainly on top for being a continually green ($$$) property for merchandise. AND it certainly is one of pixar more interesting properties to be realized for a disney park. It is also a place that is easily identifiable as a pixar/disney property with so many iconic buildings in the movie. Add to that the naturalistic beauty that the cadilac range is as a background and setting. Dca was desperately lacking natural beauty (about the only thing it had was grizzly peak. Another reason for Cars goes back to before dca officially openened, imagineers wanted to incorporate automobiles into dca, because autos play such an important role in the californian lifestyle. Cars was the perfect 'vehicle' to meet all those criteria.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 06-10-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Have to agree with the posts above - its all about the merchandise.

Cars land makes a certain sense in DCA with its car culture Route 66 theme but I don't think it would fit in WDW as well. With all the different environments Disney have in their films I'd like to see something new for Florida as always Walt said it best:

"I've always said that there will never be another Disneyland, and I think it's going to work out that way. But it will be the equivalent of Disneyland. We know the basic things that have family appeal. There are many ways that you can use those certain basic things and give them a new decor, a new treatment. This concept here will have to be something that is unique, so there is a distinction between Disneyland in California and whatever Disney does in Florida."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Merchandise and Box Office and Franchise-ability are all part of the equation. But you also have to think about it from a theme park perspective.... it's quite easy to come up with attractions in a world of "cars". The landscape of Radiator Springs also lends quite well to a fictitious land.

But I agree with Toonaspie, it shouldn't be going to Disney World. I'm not opposed to some sort of CARS attraction but not a Cars Land. A land like Radiator Springs (Cars Land) makes DCA really unique. Just like the Mysterious Island Volcano makes Tokyo Disney Sea incredibly amazing as well.

Florida really needs its own anchor that sets itself apart from the rest, and I'm not just talking extra theme parks. The One Parks method is really dragging everything down and WDW suffers the most from it. Cloned rides is acceptable from time to time... but specialized cloned lands? No.

I think what it really comes down to is this: Tomorrowland can exist in all parks and be completely different in each. Same with Fantasyland, Adventureland, etc. Cars Land, if it is to be repeated, needs to be a completely different land in version 2. It can't be Radiator Springs. It's gotta be something else.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Merchandise and Box Office and Franchise-ability are all part of the equation. But you also have to think about it from a theme park perspective.... it's quite easy to come up with attractions in a world of "cars". The landscape of Radiator Springs also lends quite well to a fictitious land.

But I agree with Toonaspie, it shouldn't be going to Disney World. I'm not opposed to some sort of CARS attraction but not a Cars Land. A land like Radiator Springs (Cars Land) makes DCA really unique. Just like the Mysterious Island Volcano makes Tokyo Disney Sea incredibly amazing as well.

Florida really needs its own anchor that sets itself apart from the rest, and I'm not just talking extra theme parks. The One Parks method is really dragging everything down and WDW suffers the most from it. Cloned rides is acceptable from time to time... but specialized cloned lands? No.

I think what it really comes down to is this: Tomorrowland can exist in all parks and be completely different in each. Same with Fantasyland, Adventureland, etc. Cars Land, if it is to be repeated, needs to be a completely different land in version 2. It can't be Radiator Springs. It's gotta be something else.
    Agreed 100%. Cars land is a great area of DCA, but a simple clone will not draw me to WDW.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• Inappropriate

Wait, has this been confirmed, or are we still rumoring here?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

• враг народа

Blog Entries

$1,000,000,000+ in merchandise sales.

• Adventurer

Thanks for the answers, guys. I think I see things a bit clearer now. Yeah, I had heard that the Cars project was "Lasseter's baby," and that he called most of the shots from development to final product. From what I've seen, the land is visually and thematically riveting, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it is in California. It's a perfect fit there, and because of this, I would be disappointed to see it cloned in Florida.

It's the 50's-60's theme that people really enjoy (and the massive canyon).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast