Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 79
  1. #16

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
    There are cranes at DHS this morning installing what appears to be the Death Star.
    Until I see Darth Vader arriving in his shuttle to oversee construction I don't believe it.

  2. #17

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    lol while the prospect of starwarsland is very cool, the amount of great stuff universal has built in recent years has DWARFED anything disney has accomplished in florida during the same span. all of the stuff above is merely rumored or in the far off future, and not at all guaranteed at the scale we picture in our minds. Universal has actually accomplished something, and while I will definitely miss amity and jaws (one of the greatest immersive theme park rides ever) I will give much more credit and hope to universal over disney at this point. at least all of their projects fit where they are going to go within reason, two of the three main rumours you listed above are terrible ideas to begin with.
    Universal's projects dont always fit theme-wise. Take Universal Studios Hollywood for example, they are getting the Wizarding World. What is Hogwarts doing in a studio backlot? theme-wise, it makes no sense. At Islands of Adventure it makes sense since the park is themed to 'adventure', but why would the 'real' Hogwarts be in a movie lot? So no, Universal doesnt always care about theme, they shoehorn anything they can into any park to make a buck. JUST like Disney.

    And Universal's stuff lately has had some successes but also some bad stuff. I personally find the Simpsons area to be very ugly and cheap looking. I've never watched the Simpsons and thought to myself "Wow, Springfield is so cool, Id love to visit there one day". Its a cheaply drawn version of an American city. Its just not theme park material in my opinion.

    And the same people that slam Disney for building Avatarland because "its not a great movie" are the same people that PRAISE Universal for building rides based on the mediocre (Im being nice) Michael Bay Transformers films.

    I understand that people do not like to criticize Universal for some reason, but if we are going to say thier stuff is AS good or BETTER than Disney, we should hold them to the same nitpicky standards that we hold Disney to. Im sorry but alot of what Universal gets away with would not be accepted by fans at Disney. The Simpsons crap is a prime example.
    Last edited by NineteenTwenty8; 06-14-2013 at 01:46 PM.

  3. #18

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,609

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Man it doesn't look too good for Muppetvision on either coast, does it? What a shame. I kinda wish they weren't getting rid of the Streets of America area because it was quite a serene place (especially the Muppet courtyard area).

    I will continue to swallow my disgust at the prospects of Carsland being cloned. I hate having to explain again and again why this is a bad idea. Put all the money into Star Wars for all I care. Just no Pixar cloning, please.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

  4. #19

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    9

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    To his credit Mr. Niles actually provided a very detailed (scene by scene) description of the Potter (Gringots) attraction.
    Last edited by themeparktrilogy; 06-14-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Didn't want to seem snarky

  5. #20

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    496

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Universal's projects dont always fit theme-wise. Take Universal Studios Hollywood for example, they are getting the Wizarding World. What is Hogwarts doing in a studio backlot? theme-wise, it makes no sense. At Islands of Adventure it makes sense since the park is themed to 'adventure', but why would the 'real' Hogwarts be in a movie lot? So no, Universal doesnt always care about theme, they shoehorn anything they can into any park to make a buck. JUST like Disney.
    Why would real royalty such as Cinderella choose to live in a theme park?

    Why would real pirates live in a theme park instead of sailing the actual Caribbean?

    Who built a real mansion in the middle of a theme park, and how did real ghosts get there?

    How are all of the real US Presidents in the Hall of Presidents? Most of them are dead. Or are they?

    Does NASA know all that's required for real space travel is a roller coaster? I'm sure it would save them tons of money.

    Why would real singing dolls voluntarily choose to sing such an annoying song?

    If any of these questions sounded silly to you, know the basis for your criticism of WWoHP was equally silly.


    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    And the same people that slam Disney for building Avatarland because "its not a great movie" are the same people that PRAISE Universal for building rides based on the mediocre (Im being nice) Michael Bay Transformers films.
    People have a problem with Avatar being given a land because it doesn't deserve it. Despite the first film's high gross, it's not a franchise that's managed to garner an actual fanbase. Most people don't care about the film's world or characters, and they aren't dying for a sequel. There's no attachment. And most people, even those who enjoyed the film, probably had no burning need for an Avatar land.

    Transformers, on the other hand, is a proven commodity. It's been around for several decades, and people continue to eat it up, even after some low quality films. That's why it has an attraction.

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    I understand that people do not like to criticize Universal for some reason, but if we are going to say thier stuff is AS good or BETTER than Disney, we should hold them to the same nitpicky standards that we hold Disney to. Im sorry but alot of what Universal gets away with would not be accepted by fans at Disney. The Simpsons crap is a prime example.
    You aren't nitpicking, you're being a fanboy.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 06-14-2013 at 02:57 PM.

  6. #21

    • Future Imagineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In some place dark and creepy. Help!
    Posts
    427

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    delete

  7. #22

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,485

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Universal's projects dont always fit theme-wise. Take Universal Studios Hollywood for example, they are getting the Wizarding World. What is Hogwarts doing in a studio backlot? theme-wise, it makes no sense. At Islands of Adventure it makes sense since the park is themed to 'adventure', but why would the 'real' Hogwarts be in a movie lot? So no, Universal doesnt always care about theme, they shoehorn anything they can into any park to make a buck. JUST like Disney.

    And Universal's stuff lately has had some successes but also some bad stuff. I personally find the Simpsons area to be very ugly and cheap looking. I've never watched the Simpsons and thought to myself "Wow, Springfield is so cool, Id love to visit there one day". Its a cheaply drawn version of an American city. Its just not theme park material in my opinion.

    And the same people that slam Disney for building Avatarland because "its not a great movie" are the same people that PRAISE Universal for building rides based on the mediocre (Im being nice) Michael Bay Transformers films.

    I understand that people do not like to criticize Universal for some reason, but if we are going to say thier stuff is AS good or BETTER than Disney, we should hold them to the same nitpicky standards that we hold Disney to. Im sorry but alot of what Universal gets away with would not be accepted by fans at Disney. The Simpsons crap is a prime example.
    actually incorrect, they are getting "london", which does fit the theme from a set/landscape perspective. you must pass through london to move on to the wizarding world which is deeper within, essentially isolating it from the remainder of the park and therefore preserving the thematics. hogwarts will not be a part of the lot, the set of london will however.

    i think quite the opposite, not only does it fit the cartoons to a T, they have used the expansion to up their game in the food department, offering some new and interesting stuff that was definitely lacking in their parks prior. furthermore they even went that extra step and added plenty of great easter eggs for the fans, something disney has been lacking on in recent years. execution is one thing, not fitting your personal taste is another. universal greatly succeeded on the former with a great cohesive plan that is really starting to come together.

    Regarding Avatar you obviously don't understand the argument. I don't want to expand on this long belaboured point again, however to sum things up, the arguments are not just about the quality of the film (which was poor outside of cinematography and digital effects), its combined with the key point it does not fit where they are deciding to shoehorn it in at all, and that there are essentially no merchandising opportunities that go along with the franchise. Transformers at universal not only has both those points covered but also is a proven commodity spanning decades with a world wide loyal following, the two are totally incomparable.

    by no means am I saying universal is better then disney in every way, I'm merely saying Universal is creating new projects at a faster rate and doing so on par with or above the disney standard while disney chooses to stay relatively stagnant and ignore major issues with upkeep on some of their keynote attractions. one group is obviously showing they care about the consumer FAR more then the other. we are all holding the major parks to the same high standard and while disney did create a very lovely looking addition in new fantasyland, we have yet to see a new original attraction since 2006 and a new attraction at all since 2008 (excluding the recently opened and underwhelming Little Mermaid clone). in the time from 2008 until now by comparison, Universal has opened 7 new attractions, and thats not even including all the new and plussed minor experiences, with at least 3 more attractions to be opened within the next year. kind of speaks for itself.

  8. #23

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Why would real royalty such as Cinderella choose to live in a theme park?

    Why would real pirates live in a theme park instead of sailing the actual Caribbean?

    Who built a real mansion in the middle of a theme park, and how did real ghosts get there?

    How are all of the real US Presidents in the Hall of Presidents? Most of them are dead. Or are they?

    Does NASA know all that's required for real space travel is a roller coaster? I'm sure it would save them tons of money.

    Why would real singing dolls voluntarily choose to sing such an annoying song?

    If any of these questions sounded silly to you, know the basis for your criticism of WWoHP was equally silly.
    Putting Hogwarts in a Studio park is the same as Disney putting a fully fleshed out Monstropolis in DCA. Its just as inconsistant in the theme. Im not just putting down Universal here, Disney does it too, my original point was that if we held Uni to the same nitpicky standard that we hold Disney to, then you'd see that Universal isnt so perfect either.


    People have a problem with Avatar being given a land because it doesn't deserve it. Despite the first film's high gross, it's not a franchise that's managed to garner an actual fanbase. Most people don't care about the film's world or characters, and they aren't dying for a sequel. There's no attachment. And most people, even those who enjoyed the film, probably had no burning need for an Avatar land.

    Transformers, on the other hand, is a proven commodity. It's been around for several decades, and people continue to eat it up, even after some low quality films. That's why it has an attraction.
    You have no evidence to back up your claims about Avatar, there is no way that you KNOW with certainty that Avatar has "no real fan base", thats a ridiculous statement to make with zero evidence to back it up. Did you interview every American and ask them their opinion on the film or something? lol come on. Look, The film made a huge amount of money as did the bluray/dvd sales, seems to be doing very well for a franchise with "no fanbase".

    And you say fans probably have no 'burning desire' for an Avatarland, let me ask you this, did people fans have a burning desire for a Simpsons area at Uni? I dont know ANYONE that can watch that cheaply animated cartoon and say "wow Springfield is amazing! I wanna go there!".

    Look, at the end of the day, Disney always wins. Even Universal's pride and joy, Islands of Adventure, only manages to pull in the attendence that DCA pulls in. Check out the latest theme park attendence #s, both DCA and IoA are at about 7 million annually. So really with all the worship here about Universal,the reality is that its still really lagging behind the Disney empire.
    Last edited by NineteenTwenty8; 06-14-2013 at 05:15 PM.

  9. #24

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by JtnOrl View Post
    People have a problem with Avatar being given a land because it doesn't deserve it. Despite the first film's high gross, it's not a franchise that's managed to garner an actual fanbase. Most people don't care about the film's world or characters, and they aren't dying for a sequel. There's no attachment.
    Exactly. Avatar's characters? Zero memorability. Avatar's merchandise? Zero bucks. Avatar's story? Yawn. Avatar's mo-cap tech? Amazing for its time, old hat now. Avatar's world-design? Beautiful the first time, but been-there-seen-that now. Avatar's financial success? Its boffo box office bucks were 'way inflated by upcharges for 3D at that time.

    By the time the sequel is released, its eye candy settings and alien characters will be yesterday's news. The buzz in the business won't be the groundbreaking tech, but the dropoff in interest compared to the first film.

    Let's face it, the Avatar sequel and Avatarland are driven by little more than that they're vanity projects for two of the most powerful players in the business, Cameron & Staggs.

    At some point Disney's Board of Directors is going to awaken from its rubber-stamp stupor and start asking why, after spending billions to buy Lucasfilm, Iger & Staggs are spending megabucks on a theme park land that advertises an IP they don't even own -- and paying Cameron licensing fees on top of it!
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-14-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  10. #25

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,485

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Putting Hogwarts in a Studio park is the same as Disney putting a fully fleshed out Monstropolis in DCA. Its just as inconsistant in the theme. Im not just putting down Universal here, Disney does it too, my original point was that if we held Uni to the same nitpicky standard that we hold Disney to, then you'd see that Universal isnt so perfect either.
    already been addressed and while true that is the same its not whats happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    You have no evidence to back up your claims about Avatar, there is no way that you KNOW with certainty that Avatar has "no real fan base", thats a ridiculous statement to make with zero evidence to back it up. Did you interview every American and ask them their opinion on the film or something? lol come on. Look, The film made a huge amount of money as did the bluray/dvd sales, seems to be doing very well for a franchise with "no fanbase".
    there is actually quite a bit of evidence. merchandise sales came out poor to nonexistent, no pop culture presence, little to no repeat views across the networks, etc, etc. its fallen off the face of the earth. it was a great exhibition of technology, but thats all it was, an exhibition of new technology in both theatres and in the home.

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    And you say fans probably have no 'burning desire' for an Avatarland, let me ask you this, did people fans have a burning desire for a Simpsons area at Uni? I dont know ANYONE that can watch that cheaply animated cartoon and say "wow Springfield is amazing! I wanna go there!".
    to answer you simply, yes. its something that has a massive fan base and has been a proven commodity that people love for over 20 years. its been a cornerstone of american pop culture and spawned a lot of the cartoon culture on television today. to even attempt to compare the massive empire that is the simpsons with avatar is astonishing lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Look, at the end of the day, Disney always wins. Even Universal's pride and joy, Islands of Adventure, only manages to pull in the attendence that DCA pulls in. Check out the latest theme park attendence #s, both DCA and IoA are at about 7 million annually. So really with all the worship here about Universal,the reality is that its still really lagging behind the Disney empire.
    we aren't arguing attendance figures, thats a terrible leg to stand on. disney simply gets repeat visitors on name, tradition, and reputation alone. I could argue with those very same attendance numbers in my favour by showing that universal's market share has been skyrocketing over the last 5 years while disney's has been stagnating or increasing at very minimal levels. the key here is who is creating the better experience and who is doing more for their customers. without a doubt its unarguable that universal is doing more for their patrons then disney and its leading to a better experience as a whole.

  11. #26

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    437

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Hogwarts is not going into the studios park.

  12. #27

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,301

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    First of all, who was demanding the movie Cars2? No one. What was the REAL reason Pixar made Cars2? Idk. Cars has to be the weakest and most annoying Pixar film ever. And now they r coming out with Planes?! They should have left it with 1movie only.

    as for cars land... It's nice but not my favorite thing about DCA. The racers part of the ride was nothing special. It's just like riding in a normal car, in fact my own car can drive faster on the freeway.


    Star Wars land ? YES PLEASE!

  13. #28

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    9

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Mr. Wiggins quotes author Neil Gabler "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    Um ... Didn't the Company's namesake begin that approach several decades ago? Mr. Disney did not write Snow White, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, etc. Rather he gripped those stories (created in the imaginations of persons outside of the Company) and found success by altering their presentation.

    Mr. Gabler's assertion could (justifiably) be met with a resounding ... "And?"

  14. #29

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,602

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    This would be awesome news if true. Id give up Avatar for a Star Wars land all day every day. I support the Avatar idea though it does have a big following around the world whether anyone likes to admit it or not. At comic con last year there were plenty of Na'vi running around. Is it to a Star Wars scale of course not, or even Cars for that matter. All three franchises would bring visitors to WdW though there is no denying that for any of these franchises. I really don't see WdW adding all three though in the next 5 years.

  15. #30

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by themeparktrilogy View Post
    Mr. Wiggins quotes author Neil Gabler "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    Um ... Didn't the Company's namesake begin that approach several decades ago? Mr. Disney did not write Snow White, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood, etc. Rather he gripped those stories (created in the imaginations of persons outside of the Company) and found success by altering their presentation.

    Mr. Gabler's assertion could (justifiably) be met with a resounding ... "And?"
    Comparing Disneyland's adaptations of timeless folk tales and classics of children's literature with Carsland, AvatarLand, StarWarsLand, MuppetLand, PixarLand, et al, just proves my point and Gabler's, that today's billion-dollar Disney Corp is creatively bankrupt. It is a media marketing corporation that has everything in common with Wall Street and nothing in common with the creativity, ingenuity, innovation and sheer risk-taking that created Disneyland. With every new paint-by-numbers ride and land cloned from a franchise, Disney proves it is pathetically incapable of creating for our time anything like the world-class icons of theme park originality that Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Tomorrowland '67 and many others were for Walt's time.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-14-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Rumor] Star Wars sub-land for Disneyland Paris?
    By CaliforniaAdventurer in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-14-2013, 03:28 AM
  2. [Rumor] First Planned Attraction for Star Wars Land
    By DoctorQ9 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM
  3. Star Wars 1-6 for Blu-Ray
    By JMora in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 01:56 AM
  4. Star Wars 'Land' in MGM?
    By KISSman in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM
  5. Star Wars festivals set for Disney World- The Globe and Mail- 5/7/05
    By dramaqueen in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 07:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •