Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

Ask any 5 year old boy and they will say Yay Car's Land, ask any 25 boy and they will say Yay StarWarsLand....All i have to say is thank goodness for good old fashioned free market economics and I hope competition continues to get all the theme parks to expand because that is what makes going back to them fun (however I do prefer they expand and not replace

I am most excited for Star Wars Land as I grew up with Han and Indy as my superhero's....I foresee a cantina restaurant/bar, several stores (maybe a build your own star ship?), and maybe a jedi training camp (can we say boy's answer to princess treatment since the pirate idea failed) and I really hope there is a new ride....a whole land cannot survive on one ride especially if it was already there (Harry Potter land reused the dueling dragons but added a new ride to add excitement)....let's hope there is a general land building model to follow there....
    Oh... I just love happy endings.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't know what the building North of Catastrophe Canyon is. It's something backstage.
    I believe that backstage building was the working-studio area for Animation back when there was an Orlando Branch of Disney Animation.

I would also like to chime on the Universal attractions: Transformers the Ride is so much better than the 9+ hours of the Michael Bay Trilogy of a Monstrosity to a beloved fanboy franchise. I would rather wait in line for the two or more hours and ride the 10(?) minute attraction, than see that trilogy again.

Anyways, back to thread, StarWarsLand would be better, but I'm going expect models and concept art for Avatarland and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster, with maybe a small presence of RSR in DHS and a teaser trailer for DL's new TL, but that's pretty much what I think Staggs is going to reveal come D23 Expo 2013.

Timekeeper
    Now the Tower of Sauron has fallen
    Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Well - if the rumours are true for this - and I would be supportive of Cars and Star Wars, it would mean I need to plan a visit to get in a last ride on some possible extinct rides. Ever since this park opened its been a 1/2 day park at best, but still had some great experiences. I can see lots that can be removed. However my best memories of this park were seeing the actual animators working on Mulan. I dont think you can actually see anything like this anymore (sad). If they go ahead with Star Wars, they could open a creature cantina (the poor CM's will need plenty of costumes and makeup). It would be cool to immerse yourself in a Star Wars world - Universal has Harry Potter, and although i have not seen it yet, I hear you feel like you are right in the movie. That sort of feeling would actually make sense for DHS. Sad part is they dont have a lot of land to expand on without removing things. We will have to wait and see.

I myself would LOVE a Star Wars Land! Plus think of the photo ops!
    Name:  IMG_3437_2_zps430d0c3f.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3450r_zps97e75dd6.jpg
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3453r_zpsa00a031a.jpg
Size:  44.4 KB

This never gets old:

Name:  603142_10152900358870531_1701784040_n.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  93.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe that a Star Wars Land is one of the best directions that DHS could go right now. The park has needed an overhaul for a while now. As much as the Muppets are near and dear to my heart, I do think that they have run their course. It's a standalone attraction right now with a dwindling audience. It doesn't make much sense to keep it around for much longer. Star Wars Land would go over insanely well I believe with it applying to all ages now with the new movies Disney has planned. Also, with how well Star Wars Weekends are going over now, I think that's good affirmation that new Star Wars attractions would be embraced with open arms. As for a copy of Cars Land, I'm not as thrilled about that. Disney World has 4 parks instead of 2 and I would like to see them do different things in the different parks rather than copying each other. I know some people will agree with me and some won't, but I think Disney can come up with something unique for DHS that isn't already in CA. However, I know Cars Land is going well and so it is more fiscally tempting to reproduce something that is already working. I guess I just like to believe in the spirit of creativity that I've always believed Disney had and so would like to see the Imagineers come up with something different for DHS than Cars Land.
    "Life is brief, but when it's gone, love goes on and on." -Disney's Robin Hood

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post

I don't know what the building North of Catastrophe Canyon is. It's something backstage. West of Toy Story Mania is the costume dept.
    Maintenance Base, a paint shop, a carpentry shop, and a machine shop.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

I was at Disney World this past week. I did see in line for Rock n' Roller Coaster, I did see something with Darth Vaders face on it. This was behind a wall between RNRC and Tower of Terror.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Finding Pixar View Post
    I was at Disney World this past week. I did see in line for Rock n' Roller Coaster, I did see something with Darth Vaders face on it. This was behind a wall between RNRC and Tower of Terror.
    that is part of the temporary area they have set up in that backstage area open to the public for star wars weekends. nothing to do with starwars land.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

PLEASE no rehash of a land out in Cali I want a reason to go to DL and DCA and still go and get a unique experience at WDW
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

From today's Orlando Business Journal:

Disney’s Star Wars land will be biggest in resort history, sources say

Richard Bilbao
    Reporter- Orlando Business Journal

Guess what, Disney fans? That rumored Star Wars land/expansion at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will dwarf any other Disney-related expansion in its recent history.

At least that’s what a source with close connections to the park told me about all the growing chatter about a new Star Wars land project coming to Walt Disney World.

It's expected that any type of Star Wars expansion could easily be north of $200 million in new investment at Mickey's house, but the thought of something bigger is quite impressive.

By the way, this stacks on some other information I heard last week from reports and insiders that Disney would rather open new additions as they are completed and not wait to let other parks — ahem, Wizarding World of Harry Potter’s Diagon Alley at Universal Studios — get too far ahead.

Now, there's also been news of a Cars Land addition to Hollywood Studios, but my source told me it will be nothing compared to the level of Disney’s vision for Star Wars.

Disney has yet to announce what Star Wars-related additions could be coming to the park, but it has had plans to bring the franchise to the parks in some fashion. Back in October when Disney acquired Star Wars-owner LucasFilm, Walt Disney Co. Chairman and CEO Bob Iger said Disney had “ample opportunity to expand the [Star Wars] presence in our parks.”

Well, time for me to jump back into the fray and find out more, so be sure to check back.

More from Orlando Business Journal columnist Richard Bilbao:

Disney Star Wars Land: More rumors surface - Orlando Business Journal

Jun 18, 2013, 1:12pm EDT
    Disney Star Wars Land: More rumors surface

Richard Bilbao
    Reporter- Orlando Business Journal

A Star Wars Land at Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studios has potential — at least that’s what fans and insider sources think.

Last week, I wrote about a Theme Park Insider blog on sources saying Disney is looking at expanding the Star Wars-themed footprint in Disney’s Hollywood Studios by 2018. In addition, the park is expected to be working on bringing Cars Land to the East Coast.

Well, more insider sources apparently can’t keep it a secret, as pop culture website ComicBookMovie.com writer, TheDailySuperHero, is reporting that the Star Wars-themed expansion definitely includes new rides and experiences.

Here’s what the site reported:

“According to an amusement park source who is very knowledgable of the inner workings of the world’s largest entertainment company, the following two changes are happening at the Orlando park that are Star Wars-related.

• An indoor Jedi Training Academy will be at the ABC Sound Studio.

• The Backlot Express is being converted into a Star Wars-themed ride aimed for younger children who don’t make the height requirement on the Star Tours ride. (Gotta give the kiddies something too, right?)”

The report says that’s pretty much all Disney has planned. However, there’s also been chatter I’ve overheard that this is part of a multi-phased plan that could be much larger and these reports are just the beginning.

Now the indoor Jedi Training Academy sounds fine, as many guests would enjoy not having such a fun activity be ruined by rainy days. As for the renovated ride, if Disney doesn’t want to invest too much, it can potentially make it a backlot tour of strictly Star Wars memorabilia. Or, convert that into some new dark ride or something ... ahem, X-Wing coaster/dark ride.

It will be interesting to see if the rumors are true and just how Disney capitalizes on the Star Wars property — something tells me they won’t disappoint.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose13 View Post
    Ask any 5 year old boy and they will say Yay Car's Land, ask any 25 boy and they will say Yay StarWarsLand....
    If youre suggesting Star Wars isn't for kids I would say youre decidedly wrong there as all my generation grew up on it on vhs/tv.
    Next generation will grow up on it on bluray and dvd.
    They are classic movies that will be relevant forever, noone who is sane would say the same about Cars or Cars 2, sorry.

I just got back yesterday from visiting WDW for the first time in 12 years. Don't steal my Disney fan badge, I've managed to make it to Disneyland multiple times and Disney Paris during that time. I used to visit probably once every 3-4 years before that.

I say that only because... what in the world happened to the Studio park? I used to LOVE this park, and it was easily my favorite of the four parks when I was last there. Now, it's a complete mess. I didn't even realize how bad it was until my wife (first time visitor) was asking me why it seemed so disjointed, and I realized that it is because they shuttered everything real there and seemingly just plugged in random stuff in it's place.

You have the stunt shows with fake film crews (Indiana Jones, Lights Motors), the rides themed like you are in shows (Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Muppets, Great Movie Ride - sorta), Toy Story Midway Mania that is themed loosely on a movie, the backlot tour that doesn't show you a backlot any more (my wife pointed out we saw wardrobe, a parking lot, and the canyon with minimal boneyard stuff), the Animation studio that really isn't there, shows themed on movies (Beauty and Beast, Mermaid), a show themed like a show (American Idol), Fantasmic since it features characters or something, a roller coaster themed on music with cut outs of Hollywood hills, and a park icon that has absolutely *nothing* to do with Hollywood.

It went from my favorite park (which I thought was in need of help last time I was there) to by far my least favorite park. We both said we wouldn't feel overly compelled to go back next time, although I adore Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride, so I would probably get sucked in.

While this sounds cool, it sounds like a band-aid for a park that needs to go back to the drawing boards. Disney has eliminated all of the history and actual film-making from this park, which was what made the weird layout charming. What will these two "lands" have to do in Hollywood, and why do they "fit" there anyway? They are both based on films, but so is everything that Disney has done lately.

For a company that has been so big on storytelling, the park is disappointing now and dropping these in without addressing the rest of the issues wouldn't be a great improvement in my opinion. They need to figure out what the park should be, and then fix it from the inside out.

I'd suggest retheming Rock N Roller Coaster to something else movie related, dumping Backlot, putting Carsland on that side, and then making the whole park about "riding" the movies. And if you can't show the Chinese Theater for whatever reason, at least make an icon that has something to do with film. And finally, update Fantasmic somehow. It's weird to have such a huge scene dedicated to Pocahontas.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast