Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Cars Land, Star Wars Land confirmed for DHS ?

According to Screamscape today, Monstropolis is on the table now as well. I'm just wondering, why are they so determined to make sure DCA and DHS have the same rides and lands. I've also heard talk of DHS getting a DCA makeover to its entrance.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    I just got back yesterday from visiting WDW for the first time in 12 years. Don't steal my Disney fan badge, I've managed to make it to Disneyland multiple times and Disney Paris during that time. I used to visit probably once every 3-4 years before that.

I say that only because... what in the world happened to the Studio park? I used to LOVE this park, and it was easily my favorite of the four parks when I was last there. Now, it's a complete mess. I didn't even realize how bad it was until my wife (first time visitor) was asking me why it seemed so disjointed, and I realized that it is because they shuttered everything real there and seemingly just plugged in random stuff in it's place.

You have the stunt shows with fake film crews (Indiana Jones, Lights Motors), the rides themed like you are in shows (Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Muppets, Great Movie Ride - sorta), Toy Story Midway Mania that is themed loosely on a movie, the backlot tour that doesn't show you a backlot any more (my wife pointed out we saw wardrobe, a parking lot, and the canyon with minimal boneyard stuff), the Animation studio that really isn't there, shows themed on movies (Beauty and Beast, Mermaid), a show themed like a show (American Idol), Fantasmic since it features characters or something, a roller coaster themed on music with cut outs of Hollywood hills, and a park icon that has absolutely *nothing* to do with Hollywood.

It went from my favorite park (which I thought was in need of help last time I was there) to by far my least favorite park. We both said we wouldn't feel overly compelled to go back next time, although I adore Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride, so I would probably get sucked in.

While this sounds cool, it sounds like a band-aid for a park that needs to go back to the drawing boards. Disney has eliminated all of the history and actual film-making from this park, which was what made the weird layout charming. What will these two "lands" have to do in Hollywood, and why do they "fit" there anyway? They are both based on films, but so is everything that Disney has done lately.

For a company that has been so big on storytelling, the park is disappointing now and dropping these in without addressing the rest of the issues wouldn't be a great improvement in my opinion. They need to figure out what the park should be, and then fix it from the inside out.

I'd suggest retheming Rock N Roller Coaster to something else movie related, dumping Backlot, putting Carsland on that side, and then making the whole park about "riding" the movies. And if you can't show the Chinese Theater for whatever reason, at least make an icon that has something to do with film. And finally, update Fantasmic somehow. It's weird to have such a huge scene dedicated to Pocahontas.
    Thank you for this terrific report. Like you were until recently, I only have memories of the OLD Disney MGM Studios, not the new Disney Hollywood Theme Park.

I haven't been to Florida in ages either, although I have been a passholder at DL in CA and DL in Paris over the past few years.

I'm sad to hear the state of decay and that they think a DISNEY HOLLYWOOD THEME PARK is the same as DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    According to Screamscape today, Monstropolis is on the table now as well. I'm just wondering, why are they so determined to make sure DCA and DHS have the same rides and lands. I've also heard talk of DHS getting a DCA makeover to its entrance.
    Wha? The entrance is the area of Hollywood Studios that needs the makeover the least. Also, wasn't Californa Adventure's new entrance based on the one at Hollywood Studios?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    • An indoor Jedi Training Academy will be at the ABC Sound Studio.

• The Backlot Express is being converted into a Star Wars-themed ride aimed for younger children who don’t make the height requirement on the Star Tours ride. (Gotta give the kiddies something too, right?)”

I heard a different rumor at Screamscape.

The Chinese Theater and the Mickey's Sorcerer's Hat will both go away. Echo Park Lake will go away. The Great Movie Ride will be replaced with a Star Wars themed ride.

Backlot Express will be the new Star Wars Cantina restaurant.

Many possibilities. I wonder when they will break ground.

I don't have a problem if they open Star Wars Land in phases. Just don't do what they did at the New Fantasyland by saving the best attraction for last. That Dwarf roller coaster will be opened too late to be appreciated when the new Diagon Alley is opened at Universal Studios Florida.
    Last edited by StevenW; 06-27-2013 at 01:31 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Star Wars ride in place of the Great Movie Ride? I hope they move the entrance off of Hollywood Boulevard then!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Wha? The entrance is the area of Hollywood Studios that needs the makeover the least. Also, wasn't Californa Adventure's new entrance based on the one at Hollywood Studios?
    Yes, just smack your forehead and turn the page.

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    While this sounds cool, it sounds like a band-aid for a park that needs to go back to the drawing boards.
    Definitely agree, especially if the budget is really only $200M? Isn't that the cost of Tower of Tower? So this sounds like barely a new ride as opposed to Harry-Potter-sized-expansion.

I think re-theming DHS would be great. I could see this as a Star Wars park or a Star Wars/Marvel park. The way it is now is a total mess.

But is Disney willing to spend $1B like they did at DCA to fix it?

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Also, wasn't Californa Adventure's new entrance based on the one at Hollywood Studios?
    Ish. They're both based on the Pan Pacific Auditorium.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Banned User

I didn't mean that the actual turnstiles were being made over, rather the entrance boulevard back to what is now the Chinese Theater, with the theater being removed for a new park icon.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I heard a different rumor at Screamscape.

The Chinese Theater and the Mickey's Sorcerer's Hat will both go away. The Great Movie Ride will be replaced with a Star Wars themed ride.
    There's no truth to this, as of right now. The only thing that holds any weight there is the removal of the hat.
    -Bill

• Banned User

I really doubt they will get rid of the Great Movie Ride. It's still the park's signature attraction along with Tower of Terror. I could see them giving it a big overhaul that will include a major Star Wars scene (possibly replacing Oz scene since Disney has no rights over the MGM version).

• film975

Oh, a Star Wars scene in the Great Movie Ride would be really cool. That's one thing I would love to see in DHS. An update to one of the signature attractions of that park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Oh, a Star Wars scene in the Great Movie Ride would be really cool. That's one thing I would love to see in DHS. An update to one of the signature attractions of that park.
    I wouldn't if we are getting a star wars land though. its just way too much of a good thing, a la whats happening with Pirates of the Caribbean right now.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    I wouldn't if we are getting a star wars land though. its just way too much of a good thing, a la whats happening with Pirates of the Caribbean right now.

^^^ agreed. On another note, I think an op should change this from NEWS to RUMOR as it is definitely not NEWS because its not even close to confirmed.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    I really doubt they will get rid of the Great Movie Ride. It's still the park's signature attraction along with Tower of Terror. I could see them giving it a big overhaul that will include a major Star Wars scene (possibly replacing Oz scene since Disney has no rights over the MGM version).
    If it's true that the ride has become stale, and they want a STAR WARS ride that excels, maybe they want to repurpose the AA's ?

Think SUPERSTAR limo getting the Monsters Treatment only bigger.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast