Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Co-Host of USWP

Re: Walt Disney World - Seriously, what's your beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    This i also agree with. Each subsequent trip following my first one... there was more things not working. More things closing. More things just not up to the Disney standards that I was grown to believe.

Meanwhile Universal Orlando just keeps upping and upping. They're acting more like Disney than Disney is.
    So true. Somebody had to say it. LOL

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I don't think it's true that people tend to like what they grow up with. I mean... partially yes they do like it because they grew up with it, but if Walt Disney World was truly what it was intended on being, which is... SUPER DISNEYLAND... then I would love it INFINITELY more than Disneyland, hypothetically.

That's really what it comes down to. I know Disneyland and all my life I've seen the commercials beckoning the entire nation to skip Disneyland and visit Walt Disney World... because THAT'S where it all happens. You think you know magic at Disneyland? No, come to Orlando and we'll show you real magic!

If Walt Disney World was truly WALT DISNEY WORLD, all of us Disneylanders would be floored, in love, and making a trip back every single year... or as often as possible. We wouldn't sit here going "it's not worth it." or "there's not enough to do"

There's a reason why this phrase was coined: Disneyland is for purists, Walt Disney World is for tourists. This phrase echoes everything that Bill described in previous posts. They're just not trying hard enough. They're getting by, but they seem content with "good enough"... and to those who grew up on Disneyland... that's just not enough.

Yes, I grew up with Disneyland but I'm ready to ditch it in a second for Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea. It has nothing to do with which one I grew up with. It has everything to do with show and quality. Something that Florida is really lacking right now and the past two decades.

I cannot wait to see them blow us away with Star Wars Land and anything else. They have the potential to prove me wrong.

The truth of what's wrong with DCA 1.0 is that they built it with the Florida WDW mentality. It has the Disney name, people will come because that's what tourists are brainwashed into believing right? Sure enough, DCA had the same amount of attractions as most WDW parks when they opened. Southern California did not stand for that and that is why you see a much better DCA now. WDW is still #1 so why fix it? That's my beef with WDW. They're number one... but they don't act like it.

Yes, Disneyland has 15 years more than WDW, but WDW has had four theme parks before Disneyland had two. WDW should = Disneyland Resort x2. As of right now, WDW is barely ahead of Disneyland Resort's attraction count. Maybe half a park more. That just isn't enough.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Funny you should post this. I was just coming here to reflect on DL vs. WDW. I have to agree with liking DL more overall and I will outline some of the reasons here.

Maintenance has been mentioned before. In It's a Small World and Splash Mountain many animatronics were missing or not functioning properly which was a disappointment. The sidewalks were also dirtier.

Disney World is so much more exhausting. Transportation alone takes up a huge chunk of your day and the Magic Kingdom is much larger so you spend a lot more time walking. My feet are covered in blisters after visiting WDW which doesn't happen after DL. I love being able to walk from my hotel to DL, DCA, and DTD in California. In Florida you would spend hours park hopping like that.

The weather. I realize this can't be helped but Florida humidity is just godawful. I will say that the warm evenings in Florida are more pleasant than the sometimes chilly evenings of Cali but it's not enough to make up for the "inside a dog's mouth" feeling of Florida during the day. I really think they should keep the parks open later in Florida so people can take advantage of the pleasant nighttime.

The rides. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Pirates, It's a Small World, and Autopia are all better at DL in my opinion. Indiana Jones is also one of my favorite rides. I will say that I find The Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise to be better at WDW and the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor was great. Also the Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios is better than at DCA.

All that said there are reasons to go to WDW over DL. The water parks are fantastic. Although I don't enjoy the theming that much I think the Rock n Roller Coaster is a great thrill ride. I also like the little opening show they do at the beginning of the day at the Magic Kingdom. I don't hate WDW, in fact I enjoy it very much, but if I didn't live within driving distance I would probably not visit and go to DL instead.

• Minion

its a matter of preference IMO, there is a case to be made for either one. if you are looking for attractions purely then Disneyland has the upper hand with their more condensed format. if you are looking for experiences then the clear winner is WDW with its attention to detail over a large area of land to explore and beautiful grounds. thats all it boils down to at the end of the day, simple as that.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    its a matter of preference IMO, there is a case to be made for either one. if you are looking for attractions purely then Disneyland has the upper hand with their more condensed format. if you are looking for experiences then the clear winner is WDW with its attention to detail over a large area of land to explore and beautiful grounds. thats all it boils down to at the end of the day, simple as that.
    How can there be attention to detail when so much is removed or shut off?

• Metro-Retro Historian

if Walt Disney World was truly what it was intended on being, which is... SUPER DISNEYLAND...
    That's might be what you were expecting as someone who went to Disneyland their whole life, but it's not what Walt Disney World is intended to be, and never was.

All your complaints about purist vs tourists are things that developed in the late Eisner era and were things that Disneyland wasn't immune to. While I'll admit Disneyland has recovered faster because it's close to company HQ and has some fanboys in top executive positions looking out for it, but there was a time when Walt Disney World lived up to the same standards that you grew up with at Disneyland. You act like Disneyland has always been the gold standard of quality that Disney built its reputation on and Walt Disney World was a filthy cesspit from the day it opened, and that's just not true.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, a number of posts have been removed from this thread for interjecting personal attacks and asides directed at other members. Let's go forward by posting your sincere thoughts, facts, musings of the thread topic as you see it. Discussion being the whole point of MiceChat, there are going to be people who come here with opinions that may not quite fit your take on the subject You are encouraged to argue your position by quoting more facts you can back up, or explain how you logically came to hold the beliefs you hold. Just don't in any way slip into discussing the personal attributes of your fellow posters. When that happens, the thread discussion is interrupted, hostility is injected, and the thread has the possibility of heading down the road to ruin and eventual closing.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 06-22-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

The way I describe it to my friends is like this: Disneyland and Walt Disney World are two different animals. WDW is a week long vacation destination with a variation of fun things to do (the four parks, the water parks, golf, Downtown Disney, and something I enjoy doing: hotel hopping), whereas at the Disneyland Resort the focus is on the actual theme parks, they comprise the bulk of the experience at DLR. Walt Disney World is "better" in that there is more to do and see, a greater variety of recreational activities. But Disneyland Resort is better in that is has the best individual park, and the parks are clearly the biggest attraction of any Disney resort. Personally, I consider Disneyland to be a 10, whereas I don't rank any of the WDW parks higher than a 7.5. As most everyone agrees on MiceChat, the quality of the rides, the charm, the significance, and the condition of Disneyland are superior to that of the Magi Kingdom, and the other WDW parks. The one aspect I prefer at WDW is the hotels. The quality of the theming and detail at the WDW far exceeds that of the DLR hotels.

I don't think it's true that people tend to like what they grow up with. I mean... partially yes they do like it because they grew up with it, but if Walt Disney World was truly what it was intended on being, which is... SUPER DISNEYLAND... then I would love it INFINITELY more than Disneyland, hypothetically.

If Walt Disney World was truly WALT DISNEY WORLD, all of us Disneylanders would be floored, in love, and making a trip back every single year... or as often as possible.

They're getting by, but they seem content with "good enough"... and to those who grew up on Disneyland... that's just not enough.

It has the Disney name, people will come because that's what tourists are brainwashed into believing right?
    WDW is still #1 so why fix it? That's my beef with WDW. They're number one... but they don't act like it.

Well spoke Coheteboy, I couldn't agree more! I feel like Disneyland is like the all-out, top-notch Disney showcase park; the Walt Disney Company's crown jewel and Imagineering's original and best pride and joy. My memories of going to Walt Disney World as an adolescent each year from 1988-1991 are incredible; MK and Epcot were awesome and I was particularly enamored with MGM Studios. But even then I recognized that Disneyland was superior to Magic Kingdom. Now in my 30's I've been to WDW three times in the last 4 years and each time it's been apparent to me that the quality of the individual parks is just not up to par with Disneyland in actual attractions, park layouts, and maintenance. I feel TDO just doesn't exert the same level of care and passion for the parks the same way they do in Anaheim. Granted, most people were disappointed with DCA for a long time, but that seems to be remedied quite a bit with WOC, CL, and BVS.

And like Coheteboy asserts, if it's truly going to be Disney WORLD, then it should be the ultimate Disney experience. As in the biggest and the BEST. The way I see it, WDW is a big area the size of my home city of San Francisco, with fun destinations scattered over the land. I wish they could "fill in the gaps" so to speak and make the entire place feel more cohesive, as well as just blow us away with unparalleled quality and detail (things Disney typically excels at). Instead, things feel a bit disjointed and TDO is content to let things remain at a somewhat "acceptable" level because people still come to WDW, presumably because it's quantity of parks. Disney should also be focused on the quality of it's offerings at it's most comprehensive resort.

You're Disney, you're #1. Don't take your foot off the pedal...make your "World" resort your ultimate resort. If your original park can be so excellent, why can't the same effort be put into making your 2.0 the same, if not better?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How can there be attention to detail when so much is removed or shut off?
    I'm not talking about actually on the attractions, I agree that upkeep is a major flaw in Orlando. Park wide however when you are walking through the landscapes and seeing all the detail in the areas most people normally wouldn't think about (for example the discovery island trails around the tree of life) it provides an attraction in itself for the long time park goer. I would much rather walk around WDW then Disneyland any day.

outside of the pure, it all boils down to, argument I gave prior through, I would have to say WDW gets the edge in food, lodging, and soon their downtown area as a few pluses in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    The way I describe it to my friends is like this: Disneyland and Walt Disney World are two different animals. WDW is a week long vacation destination with a variation of fun things to do (the four parks, the water parks, golf, Downtown Disney, and something I enjoy doing: hotel hopping), whereas at the Disneyland Resort the focus is on the actual theme parks, they comprise the bulk of the experience at DLR. Walt Disney World is "better" in that there is more to do and see, a greater variety of recreational activities. But Disneyland Resort is better in that is has the best individual park, and the parks are clearly the biggest attraction of any Disney resort. Personally, I consider Disneyland to be a 10, whereas I don't rank any of the WDW parks higher than a 7.5. As most everyone agrees on MiceChat, the quality of the rides, the charm, the significance, and the condition of Disneyland are superior to that of the Magi Kingdom, and the other WDW parks. The one aspect I prefer at WDW is the hotels. The quality of the theming and detail at the WDW far exceeds that of the DLR hotels.
    I must have missed that poll

Its all a matter of opinion. I love WDW and wouldn't waste my money to go to DLR. WDW has just as much "attention to detail", "quality of theming", and "charm" as DLR, or any of the other parks world wide.

I think the point the OP was trying to make is why do people come into the WDW thread and spend their time talking up DLR? There is a DLR thread and you can go and post there how great you think DLR is. Comparing the two (or the many parks world wide) is just silly. There are DLR lovers that will defend that park to the end much as there are WDW park lovers who will do the same. The ones that get me are the Universal lovers that come in here and post about Universal. I couldn't care less about Universal, especially while Im trying to read about WDW.

Maybe we should start a discussion about Chevelles vs Mustangs!

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post

Its all a matter of opinion. I love WDW and wouldn't waste my money to go to DLR. WDW has just as much "attention to detail", "quality of theming", and "charm" as DLR, or any of the other parks world wide.

I think the point the OP was trying to make is why do people come into the WDW thread and spend their time talking up DLR? There is a DLR thread and you can go and post there how great you think DLR is. Comparing the two (or the many parks world wide) is just silly. There are DLR lovers that will defend that park to the end much as there are WDW park lovers who will do the same. The ones that get me are the Universal lovers that come in here and post about Universal. I couldn't care less about Universal, especially while Im trying to read about WDW.

Maybe we should start a discussion about Chevelles vs Mustangs!
    I agree, for the most part with you, and Mondo Mouse. Ive enjoyed WDW for every decade its been open. Its changed thoughout the years. So has the people who visit. My previous trip , I spent 17 days there. I did a lot of stuff I never knew was even there, or hadn't taken the time to explore. There are still many activities I will look for my next trip in Oct. Its a resort, with parks.

As far as compairing it to Universal, no compairing nessasary. Up until they started Harryland, they were just a park to draw the tourist away from WDW for a day. They had to invest and expand. They had nowhere to go but up. But, they are, nor ever will be, Disney . But, its a much improved park. I enjoyed my day there.

Its funny, how the west coasters like to downgrade WDW....lol....But I think its cool that they love their park so much, they find reasons to make it seem better than WDW. Its not better, its not worse. Its just different. Its the original. And I loved every minute I spent, and will spend, there. But im a WDW , east coaster, fan. Is there room for improvement? Sure, every business goes through periods of needing re-adjustments. This is just on persons opinion, and by no means meant to offend anyone. May the pixie dust fall on you and yours....

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post

I read MiceChat articles and threads literally twice a day (it's my version of the newspapar, lol) and about 90% of the posts speak to the majority of posters feeling this way. That's what I'm referring to. I'm not just talking about the DLR forum, but also the WDW forum as well. OBVIOUSLY it's all about opinion. That's what we're all talking about on here, people's opinions of one versus the other.

Oh, and I'd go with a Camaro vs. Mustang discussion

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

It seems to me, just my observation anyway, that the folks who love WDW and defend it to no end do so because of opinion. The statements are always "it's what you prefer" or "what you grew up with".

Disneylanders aren't fans of WDW because of the facts. They list actual reasons based on show and quality. Oddly enough, the four keys to a great Disney experience is:

-Safety: too many bus deaths as of late at WDW. Disneyland was terrible in the late 90s early 2000's but they turned it around.

-Courtesy

-Show: This is the biggest area of complaint for me when it comes to WDW.

-Capacity: WDW has all the hotels, but is there enough theme park attractions for the guests to enjoy? That's why the lines are so long.

I stand by what I said that all Disneylanders would be converts to the WDW resort if it treated the resorts with the same care and passion as Disneyland. Ultimately, that's what it comes down to.

I would never say "I would prefer to walk at Disneyland any day of the week over WDW" if WDW got its act together.

I want to prefer WDW, guys. I WANT TO. And don't say that WDW's intention was never to be Super Disneyland. You're kidding yourself. It's called Disney WORLD... not Disneyland Orlando.

I'll end once AGAIN with this quote by Walt Disney:

"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine."

I'm still waiting to see the real imagination that WDW can offer. But WDW really can't do that until they clean up their existing product. Fix it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I'll end once AGAIN with this quote by Walt Disney:

"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine."

I'm still waiting to see the real imagination that WDW can offer. But WDW really can't do that until they clean up their existing product. Fix it.

"Touche"
    If your looking for Alice she's not here...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast