Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

SpectroMagic floats reported destroyed.

From UltimateOrlandoBlog comes this word, as of today:

"Enough eyewitness reports from people I trust have now come across that there is no doubt left: SpectroMagic is never coming back. The majority of the floats HAVE been destroyed and put into dumpsters. A few remaining ones (and possibly the source of the conflicting reports) will be used to train future float drivers for other parades, but this parade is not coming back.

Disney insisted at the time that SpectroMagic would return; that the Main Street Electrical Parade was a temporary replacement. Well, the SpectroMagic floats were stored in a way that exposed them partly to the Florida elements, and the floats could not be salvaged.

I first reported on April 30 that the floats were damaged and likely to never return, and now it seems the demolition took place.

Disney has not officially confirmed the demolition, but there have been multiple credible eyewitness reports of the parade units in dumpsters behind Central Shops backstage, in the white tents the units had been stored in for some time."

Full story and source link are here

So, what does everyone think...? Personally, I really love the SpectroMagic score, and doubtless it needed some refurbishment and updating even before the floats were put into 'storage' to refresh it - but this habit of WDW outright destroying things instead of trying to re-do them is a bit disconcerting (Horizons, 20,000 Leagues, Mr. Toad, the original concept of Journey Into Imagination, etc etc.)

• Shubisha

Re: SpectroMagic floats reported destroyed.

It's bad enough everyone kept falling back on the Electrical Parade to try and reinvigorate nighttime entertainment. But now that it's been done again, I didn't want to see them yet again replace the 1971 night parade with a 1991 night parade. When it comes time for them to invest in a new nighttime parade I hope it's brand new(and not just bringing Dreamlights over either). With how long it's taken to get a new daytime parade I'm not holding my breath but hey, they have one less thing to fall back on now.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

My friends in entertainment and friends who work PAC who have been back there told me this a few weeks ago. So I do agree. If i work a PAC and get to go back there, might see for myself.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

If your 'electrical parade' doesn't include tron-style electrolumenescent lighting effects, you're doing it wrong.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The lighting for Spectromagic was good for its time, however I could NOT stand the awful theme song for the parade. And That is being kind. Even though wdw is working on a new daytime parade. {Which ALSO. Long overdue], the lack of a NEW nighttime parade SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN Done. Within a year or two of "borrowing" DEP from dca. Its just inexcusable for wdw to be so lacking in upating and taking care of their own parades. Oh. One good thing about spectro being gone, NO MORE Creepy Ball Babies/Clowns or whatever their most recent transmogrification was.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 06-27-2013 at 08:34 AM.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I actually liked the music from SpectroMagic even better than the music for the Electrical Parade. So we will miss it--even though we can conjur up the whole thing any time we want to inside our crystal ball. But it's always best to see the real thing as it's playing 'live' in the park. Oh, well, there goes another classic we had loved...

• film975

Either Disney is planning to build new floats for SpectroMagic. Or maybe a brand new nighttime parade is in the works. Just speculation on my part here.

• Adventurer

I'm not terribly bothered by this. I never really enjoyed anything about Spectro. Even if they did rebuild it, they'd probably do a complete overhaul of the entire thing and make a slew of unnecessary changes, and then market it as something brand new (they did this with MSEP). Honestly, I'd rather have something entirely new than to have subpar "improvements" made to old (and perfectly all right) parades and have them presented to me as "new nighttime entertainment."

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

NOOOOOOO!!!! - Darth Vader

I loved Spectromagic. That was my MSEP! But I suspect that Spectromagic will live forever in some way, video I guess. I look forward to a new parade to come soon in the future. Ready for brighter, newer floats!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Confirmed. SpectroMagic is completely dead. RIP.
    -Bill

• A Suitcase & A Dream

The US parks really need to step up their game on nighttime parades, TDL and USJ both have shown what is possible, and for as much as I love the Electrical Parade MK and DL need something new. Judging by WDW's past actions the Electrical Parade will need to literally fall apart and or burst into flame before they think of making a new nighttime parade. If they do I hope they keep the name SpectroMagic.

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Either Disney is planning to build new floats for SpectroMagic. Or maybe a brand new nighttime parade is in the works. Just speculation on my part here.
    Lets hope.. But all WDW seems to care about right now is Festival of Fantasy... Which I am not complaining about and it is a step in the right direction when it comes to parades at WDW!

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I prefer something totally new for a night time parade. The Electrical parade was wonderful for the first 20 years of its existance and SpectroMagic was wonderful for as long as it was around but, really, it would be even MORE wonderful to have something totally new and different.

I, personally, got terribly tired of this parade. The musical score was nice, but I just got tired of it. I don't want it back and I'm glad we can confirm that.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Munchings & Crunchings

I wish Disney would create a dual use parade. Meaning a daytime parade that transforms at night into a light parade. It could save them cost on developing two entirely different parades, but at the same time, kind of be like Disneyland's Fantasmic! where something magically appears out of something more ordinary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast