Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: D23--- Tom Staggs "future projects" presentation cancelled

Maybe, what they are about to announce is so spectacular that they need more time to work on the presentation ! Sorry, just trying to keep positive.....lol

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Opinion noted. Not agreed with.

My opinion: let people be disappointed. I'm one of them. Are we really at that point where we have to point out who is what type of Disney fan? And let's face it, Micechat really isn't here for TV and Movie news, they're here for theme park news. The people who signed up here signed up because they want to discuss said theme parks. I happen to also love the movie news but guess what... I know Disney's big box-office slate for the next three years already aside from what's coming from Disney Animation. Their announcements coupled with celebrities waving to the crowds.... us without our cameras to capture the moment.... I'm over it.

Sooo...

Are we really surprised if people are disappointed for a lack of theme park news?

We shouldn't be. And we shouldn't be judging them either. As I said before, this is Disney's marketing machine claiming to "US THE FAN" that we wouldn't want to miss it for the world. They've certainly hyped the Expo as the place for reveals and announcements and there's been some great giveaways for park fanatics: Star Tours 2.0 poster and a series of Cars Land mini posters.

Disneylanders haven't had an announcement on anything since DCA 2.0 and yeah... they're eager to find out what's next. WDW is still wrapping up their new Fantasyland news but also waiting for what's next. I don't think any big reveals are necessary but I think they should have plenty to share from all around the world.

I dunno about you guys but "Future of anything Disney" is what gets people excited most. Let's not fault any of them for being disappointed.

Well said!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Maybe, what they are about to announce is so spectacular that they need more time to work on the presentation ! Sorry, just trying to keep positive.....lol
    I like the way you think!! Yes, the tea cup is half full indeed!

• Banned User

People should be disappointed. Then cancel their plans on going.

I'm a fan who like his information via the Internet. I don't need to see it generate although I will miss seeing the exhibits.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Disney creates D23 to be the fan connection...
    Disney creates D23 expo to be 'the place' for fan interaction...
    Disney creates the expectation of making annoucements at D23 at previous events...

Disney creates an even greater vacuum of places to create announcements by making D23 every other year..

And it's the fans fault for expecting D23 to be 'the place' to make any splashes for the fan community? Can't fathom that logic.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I already had my plans on hold because of prior commitments...I'm glad I didn't book my trip yet..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

I like Tom and Bob. Dispite the hate for them on here, I really think that last eight years in the Park and resorts have been FAR better then Eisner's last eight years were.

Have there been missteps? Sure, but over all I really feel as both a guest and share holder, its much better now then it was.

In hind sight, I think Tom was move out of finance not to bring more financial control to the parks but because Jay's passion was management of funds and $$$$ on a corporate level. Jay was never in the parks. He didn't have an interest in them, while Tom has been heavily involved in the development of the parks. He meets with cast, he walks them, he goes to project sights repetitively during their progress towards completion. He makes changes to live projects because he is personally invested into the project....

I honestly believe the cons of the Bob / Tom era have been easily numbered by the Pros, and I do wish they had more fan support. Because a) things could be a lot worst, and B) ten years ago they were.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    I like Tom and Bob. Dispite the hate for them on here, I really think that last eight years in the Park and resorts have been FAR better then Eisner's last eight years were.

Have there been missteps? Sure, but over all I really feel as both a guest and share holder, its much better now then it was.

In hind sight, I think Tom was move out of finance not to bring more financial control to the parks but because Jay's passion was management of funds and $$$$ on a corporate level. Jay was never in the parks. He didn't have an interest in them, while Tom has been heavily involved in the development of the parks. He meets with cast, he walks them, he goes to project sights repetitively during their progress towards completion. He makes changes to live projects because he is personally invested into the project....

I honestly believe the cons of the Bob / Tom era have been easily numbered by the Pros, and I do wish they had more fan support. Because a) things could be a lot worst, and B) ten years ago they were.

I've been happy with them for the most part. And we can thank Tom Staggs for the Snow White Mine Train in new Fantasyland.

I think the biggest misstep... and it's a big one for me but real minor for everyone else, is the branding. "DISNEY" in front of the movies rather than "WALT DISNEY PICTURES". There's a reason why Roy named Disney World "WALT Disney World"... so that we would never forget the man who made it all happen.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Wait a second was a "future projects" presentation even announced? How can something that didn't even exist get cancelled? This whole article seems based around the interview dusty sage did on this website. Extremely poor journalism on that writers behalf.

• Banned User

It has been the highlight, most anticipated event at every D23. This week it has been announced that there will be no Parks and Resorts Future attraction presentation and instead the Parks and Resorts will be about the history of Imagineering. Also stated that no new product would be announced. I would call that cancelled but you can argue symantics if you want.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    It has been the highlight, most anticipated event at every D23. This week it has been announced that there will be no Parks and Resorts Future attraction presentation and instead the Parks and Resorts will be about the history of Imagineering. Also stated that no new product would be announced. I would call that cancelled but you can argue symantics if you want.
    But if you read the interview it says the full schedule for D23 isn't up yet and won't be until a week before the convention. The animation presentation and iconic Disney movie studios presentation aren't listed either doesn't mean they are cancelled. Calling this thread "News" and claiming "its cancelled" when Disney never said that is wrong and this thread should be closed.

mybe they are tired of the backlash from fans over certain projects that are still in development.

Avatar comes to mind, the project is still under development and for all we know could be an amazing experience yet some people are already being extremely negative about it.
    when Carsland was announce similar criticism arose online by certain fans and felt it was a bad choice. A year later the land is still doing quite well and has become a destination attraction for many tourist.

They may have felt that they did not have enough presentable material to show in D23 and would rather wait so that when announced they at least had somewhat finalized some proper art to show to the public

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    mybe they are tired of the backlash from fans over certain projects that are still in development.

Avatar comes to mind, the project is still under development and for all we know could be an amazing experience yet some people are already being extremely negative about it.
    when Carsland was announce similar criticism arose online by certain fans and felt it was a bad choice. A year later the land is still doing quite well and has become a destination attraction for many tourist.

They may have felt that they did not have enough presentable material to show in D23 and would rather wait so that when announced they at least had somewhat finalized some proper art to show to the public

I think the problem with something like Avatar, Disney didn't even have a chance to withhold that announcement. When a deal like that gets made, reporters get wind on it and they pounce, forcing an official answer out of both parties. So of course when the hat's out of the bag, they have no choice but to say something.

I recall John Lasseter up on stage though, completely performing damage control, assuring us that it will be so fantastic. And I just sat there not believing a single word. He's a great storyteller but he's no Walt Disney.

And when was Avatar Land even announced? Two years ago? More? And have they broken ground yet? Backlash doesn't just come out of us reacting to bad ideas. It comes from Disney telling us something and not even getting to work on it. It makes it look worse for them. You would think that in two years time, they would have an actual definitive plan for Avatar Land.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12