Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nerd.

D23--- Tom Staggs "future projects" presentation cancelled

Bummer! Per http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...sentation.html

Tom Staggs' presentation on future attractions etc in the Disney Parks has been cancelled. So no news on Star Wars Land (fingers crossed) and Avatarland etc...

Anyone surprised or is this 'typical'?

(EDIT: Sorry, I only just now read Dusty's article on here with basically the same news. I am a little behind as I was away this weekend.)
    Last edited by tofubeast; 07-01-2013 at 06:39 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: D23--- Tom Staggs "future projects" presentation cancelled

typical
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Heavy Breather

If he is the next CEO things look grim.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    If he is the next CEO things look grim.
    What's really grim is that Staggs (longtime Chief Financial Officer for Michael Eisner) was promoted to his current position by the current CEO, Bob Iger, who was himself promoted by Eisner.

At Disney what comes around, stays around.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I don't mean to start a flame war, but I really think the fan community is a bit at fault. For MONTHs the fans have all been banking on Disney making announcements at D23, while Universal here in Orlando, has been building things and nonchalantly making incredible ground breaking announcements.

I think those Disney fans are just so eager for their favorite brand to come out with news that they can cheer over, that this has been the "last great hope" for them. And since Disney is a company, that needs to make announcement that make financial sense to their business, and their shareholders, they are not going to be making any future attraction announcements, not because they again they don't want to, but because it doesn't make business sense.

So while it is sad, I don't think it means "all is lost" for the WDC. I just think it means they are trying to time announcements in a more advantageous way for their business.

• Nerd.

KingEric, you may certainly be on to something. Perhaps 'we' are at fault for hyping D23 too much. There is still a possibility that there might be some special sneak peeks alluding to what is to come.

Isn't Universal pretty famous for revealing things late in the game, ie. when things are nearly half built etc? Perhaps Disney is going that route to, as you say, for business reasons.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
    KingEric, you may certainly be on to something. Perhaps 'we' are at fault for hyping D23 too much. There is still a possibility that there might be some special sneak peeks alluding to what is to come.

Isn't Universal pretty famous for revealing things late in the game, ie. when things are nearly half built etc? Perhaps Disney is going that route to, as you say, for business reasons.
    Ever since they announced WWOHP in 2008, and saw a MASSIVE decline in visitors in 2009, as people delayed their trips to Universal so they could experience HP, Universal has moved to a short window, where they want to find the shortest time before an attraction needs to open to announce it, hype it, and get people to book, without delaying or canceling current bookings, and intended trips.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I don't mean to start a flame war, but I really think the fan community is a bit at fault. For MONTHs the fans have all been banking on Disney making announcements at D23, while Universal here in Orlando, has been building things and nonchalantly making incredible ground breaking announcements.

I think those Disney fans are just so eager for their favorite brand to come out with news that they can cheer over, that this has been the "last great hope" for them. And since Disney is a company, that needs to make announcement that make financial sense to their business, and their shareholders, they are not going to be making any future attraction announcements, not because they again they don't want to, but because it doesn't make business sense.

So while it is sad, I don't think it means "all is lost" for the WDC. I just think it means they are trying to time announcements in a more advantageous way for their business.

I don't see how that's the fans fault. D23 Expo has established itself as the place to go for announcements and big "official" news. And only happening twice a year, it's not like they're short on announcements and things they're working on.

I can understand if things are too soon to be "announced" though, but instead of leaving all of us hanging, they really should be giving us an update on everything coming for sure in the immediate future rather than leaving us for our usual "rumor" resources.

This isn't the fan's fault. D23 was Disney's creation to address the fans. This is all on Disney.

Sure, Universal is doing great. But is that OUR fault? Heck no.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Far enough

• Senior Minion

To Eisner's edict that "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides," there should be added Iger's dictum: "Open your wallets and lower your expectations."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I don't see how that's the fans fault. D23 Expo has established itself as the place to go for announcements and big "official" news. And only happening twice a year, it's not like they're short on announcements and things they're working on.

I can understand if things are too soon to be "announced" though, but instead of leaving all of us hanging, they really should be giving us an update on everything coming for sure in the immediate future rather than leaving us for our usual "rumor" resources.

This isn't the fan's fault. D23 was Disney's creation to address the fans. This is all on Disney.

Sure, Universal is doing great. But is that OUR fault? Heck no.
    I agree, d23 is promoted as disney's official fan club AND disney is the one promoting the d23 events. And in the true spirit of walt disney, fans are always looking fowards to seeing what the future may bring! We even like to known what secret projects from legedary imagineers never came to be.

I don't blame them. This isn't necessarily an event that is marketed as just announcements. Disney is a business, not an entity that's there for the sole purpose of giggles.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

just like I said in other sites,
    WOW YOU Guys your desperate for getting an announcement!
    And heres my opinion if youre a Disney fan who only loves new things or just new attractions.well I think youre not a whole Disney fan type of person and youre just a typical theme park fan to say the least.and if youre a Disney Fan not only theme parks youd care,you dont need to be too disappointed and besides those are just announcements and what after the announcement youre all going to wait for lets 3 to 5 years for me my personal opinion is Disney is a huge brand with tv resorts movies etc... and other Disney Brands(Marvel,Avatar,Star Wars,Pixar,Disney Heroes,Disney Princesses,Disney Nature and more)you dont to be disappionted because the are alot of things happening in Disney Like their line up of movies and shows cruises merchendise..... and D23 is a place not only for announcements but also some other fun things such as the parks and resorts WDI panels that will be in there amd some and greets and movies like PLANES will be showing atD23 theyve just announce that they will be showing planes at D23,and is very very fun place if youre asking so dont be disappointed when there are no announcements will be coming

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    What's really grim is that Staggs (longtime Chief Financial Officer for Michael Eisner) was promoted to his current position by the current CEO, Bob Iger, who was himself promoted by Eisner.

At Disney what comes around, stays around.
    And let us not forget Mr. Stagg's time as the head of Strategic Planning, where an up and coming real estate guy named Jay Rasulo also rose to prominence within the Disney machine. Oh, and Iger has apparently decided to extend his stay until 2016 now.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by disfa10 View Post
    just like I said in other sites,
    WOW YOU Guys your desperate for getting an announcement!
    And heres my opinion if youre a Disney fan who only loves new things or just new attractions.well I think youre not a whole Disney fan type of person and youre just a typical theme park fan to say the least.and if youre a Disney Fan not only theme parks youd care,you dont need to be too disappointed and besides those are just announcements and what after the announcement youre all going to wait for lets 3 to 5 years for me my personal opinion is Disney is a huge brand with tv resorts movies etc... and other Disney Brands(Marvel,Avatar,Star Wars,Pixar,Disney Heroes,Disney Princesses,Disney Nature and more)you dont to be disappionted because the are alot of things happening in Disney Like their line up of movies and shows cruises merchendise..... and D23 is a place not only for announcements but also some other fun things such as the parks and resorts WDI panels that will be in there amd some and greets and movies like PLANES will be showing atD23 theyve just announce that they will be showing planes at D23,and is very very fun place if youre asking so dont be disappointed when there are no announcements will be coming

Opinion noted. Not agreed with.

My opinion: let people be disappointed. I'm one of them. Are we really at that point where we have to point out who is what type of Disney fan? And let's face it, Micechat really isn't here for TV and Movie news, they're here for theme park news. The people who signed up here signed up because they want to discuss said theme parks. I happen to also love the movie news but guess what... I know Disney's big box-office slate for the next three years already aside from what's coming from Disney Animation. Their announcements coupled with celebrities waving to the crowds.... us without our cameras to capture the moment.... I'm over it.

Sooo...

Are we really surprised if people are disappointed for a lack of theme park news?

We shouldn't be. And we shouldn't be judging them either. As I said before, this is Disney's marketing machine claiming to "US THE FAN" that we wouldn't want to miss it for the world. They've certainly hyped the Expo as the place for reveals and announcements and there's been some great giveaways for park fanatics: Star Tours 2.0 poster and a series of Cars Land mini posters.

Disneylanders haven't had an announcement on anything since DCA 2.0 and yeah... they're eager to find out what's next. WDW is still wrapping up their new Fantasyland news but also waiting for what's next. I don't think any big reveals are necessary but I think they should have plenty to share from all around the world.

I dunno about you guys but "Future of anything Disney" is what gets people excited most. Let's not fault any of them for being disappointed.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast