• From the Garums

What's the future of Future World?

Seeing as how Disney's current strategy seems to be to turn established brands into concepts for their new rides (and lands), it's no wonder EPCOT's Future World has been on the back-burner for some time. Disney seems to want to put properly Disney Movies in MK. Movies they own that aren't associated with the Disney brand go to DHS. DAK's long-term vision, at least for now, seems to be put in Avatarland and then figure it out.

There's a rumor about
    maybe possibly bringing Brazil into the World Showcase, but as for Future World, it's in limbo. They can't close it, but its muddled message has been noted. Updating Test Track to reflect changes in the car manufacturing industry is an easy way to boost attendance and keep the park semi-fresh, but what about the future? Disney can't rely on updating their current stock forever. What do you think will happen, based on the trend of cross-promotion? Will we see Up in The Land, or Wall-E in Universe of Energy? Do you think they'll start shuffling old attractions out and find a brand new theme outside of Future World?

Take Journey into Imagination, for instance. The ride's a stinker that can't draw a crowd. The old version was great, but too expensive to maintain and therefore probably not worth it to keep open, as it wasn't a brand new ride and couldn't be counted on to bring in new guests. They cheapened up the maintenance by stripping down huge parts of it, which led to a huge cry of anger, and now we've got a semi-better version. I don't think they want to spend the money to make this a good ride again, so my guess is they'll kill it in the next 10-15 years. They then have a deserted pavillon. What would you do, if you were in Disney's current climate?

tl; dr : What new theme do you think Future World will take, if any? What should it take? Do you think there's any way to create a park under Disney's management system without relying on brands and established Intellectual Property?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: What's the future of Future World?

Quote Originally Posted by RexSaucy View Post
    Do you think there's any way to create a park under Disney's management system without relying on brands and established Intellectual Property?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    That's the million dollar question right there.......I'd say not likely
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I held out for years, but after my trip to Epcot in January, I've come to the conclusion that EPCOT Center's Future World is dead. And, more importantly, it would cost more to restore it to it's former glory than it would to completely demolish the entire half of the park and rebuild from scratch. Future World (circa 1993) was perfect; Future World (circa 2013) needs a bulldozer and a handful of imagineers who understand what used to be there.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Under the current model where every inch of property must turn a profit and every attraction must have a brand tie in Future World is hopeless. That philosophy runs in the complete opposite direction of what that park and the team that built it were trying to create. They wanted to build a very high concept park; something that was as far from The Magic Kingdom as they could. The management team at the time was determined to do something new and different. They wanted to challenge the concept of what a theme park could be; a conception that many of them had helped create when they made Disneyland. One of the largest criticisms of Disneyland was that it was for kids. It's a fair cop. Despite Disneyland really being for everyone, it's appeal is to the kid in all of us. With EPCOT Center they attempted to make a Theme Park for adults.

The current management team doesn't have such lofty goals. They aren't interested in pushing the boundaries of what a theme park can be. They don't care about exploring the limits of what they can accomplish through their attractions. Theme parks exist to make money, and basing them on movies appear to be the fastest way to do that, so that's what they want to do. There are no artists at the top anymore. Nobody is looking at the parks as a medium for creative expression. It's just a business. They think all the creative people make movies. Imagineers just turn those movies into rides.

Disney seems to want to make all their parks the same. This is a huge mistake because it dilutes the individuality of the parks. Why visit Disney Hollywood Studios when Disney Animal Kingdom is the same thing with different rides and landscaping. The perception that if you've seen one Disney Park, you've seen them all is one of the worst things that could happen and it seems very odd to me that it is the direction they want to push things. That is a direction that EPCOT Center was never intended to go, which is why trying to force it into that model has had such disastrous results.

The original Journey into Imagination did not get replaced because it was too expensive to maintain. It was replaced because Kodak wanted something new before it renewed its sponsorship. Disney cheaped out on the new attraction by opting for all of the dark empty space and cheap sets of the original Test Track, with none of the thrills.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 07-01-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

Aside from Spaceship Earth, which they probably feel an obligation to keep going because it's inside the park icon, I can easily see any non-sponsored pavilion going the way of Wonders of Life. Current management is content to let special events, especially hard-ticket ones, drive attendance at EPCOT, and they probably see more value in a building like WoL or the Odyssey than they do in something like JII.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by RexSaucy View Post
    Take Journey into Imagination, for instance. The ride's a stinker that can't draw a crowd. The old version was great....

That's something of a revisionist history point of view. While I'll agree that the original ride was the best of the three versions, it really wasn't all that great, as evidenced by the lack of crowds and the walk on condition throughout most days.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

That's something of a revisionist history point of view. While I'll agree that the original ride was the best of the three versions, it really wasn't all that great, as evidenced by the lack of crowds and the walk on condition throughout most days.
    Hear, Hear.....I too have never liked this attraction in any of its' iterations.

• From the Garums

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Fair enough! I remember loving it as a child, and I've heard praise for the original version. Either way, a few Future World pavillions are on their last legs. UoE is an outdated propaganda piece, Soarin' is in mediocre shape (and wildly out of theme for Future World), and it looks like Siemens contract with SSE only lasts until 2017, which is coming up quick. It's going to be pretty exciting to see if they do decide on a new direction, or just let the formerly great park rust.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Like every other attraction, in every park, on peak days it had crowds and on non-peak days it was a walk-on ... particularly when you factor in that it was an Omni-Mover people eater with an elaborate post-show (Image Works and Captain EO). The exact same is/was true of Spaceship Earth and the Haunted Mansion (Horizons, World of Motion, etc).

My personal opinion is that if Disney had left the attraction alone (with minor upgrades and maintenance to Image Works) the attractions popularity would be on par with It's A Small World (if not higher). Disney operates and trades on nostalgia. You can't build a feeling of nostalgia in your customers if what they loved isn't there anymore. There's a reason people won't STFU about Journey Into Imagination and Horizons. There's a lot of little kids in 1982-92 that are middle aged adults now that can't take their kids on these attractions (but desperately wish they could) - Disney made multi-million dollar mistakes all over what once was Future World.
    Last edited by SunsetLament; 07-03-2013 at 01:18 AM.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    Like every other attraction, in every park, on peak days it had crowds and on non-peak days it was a walk-on ...
    Well, I'm not a local, but I can say that on every visit through the 90's it had far less lines than any other attraction - it was always a walk-on, even in the mornings.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

I want the old Imagination back!! The new one is alot better then pile of dragon s**t they had before they put in Figment that had only that boring and annoying a** scientist guy, whatever the hell his name is. But still me and my lil sis are big fans of the original one. If they can't bring back the old version exactly like they did in the past then they should remake it using new animatronics, remastered original soundtrack, new lighting, and open up the old Imageworks! My little sis and i wish we could've seen the old one with the old Imageworks this month. Oh well, atleast they brought back Figment in the new one or we wouldn't even ride it if it weren't for Figment. Honestly. I'm a little dissapointed me and family won't be able to meet the Dreamfinder and Figment and see the old ride and Imageworks. But oh we'll, atleast I'm bringing my old 1983 Figment puppet with me and am gonna buy a Figment and t shirt while I'm there. Btw, all this is coming from 14 year old fan lol, me.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The original Journey into Imagination was the second most popular attraction in EPCOT Center. Spaceship Earth was the most popular and you can probably imagine how much of an impact location had on that. It's not revisionist history that the original Journey into Imagination was popular. That's the actual history.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Epcot Future World and Disneyland's Tomorrowland suffer the same tragedies. Here in both cases Disney has amazing real estate and infrastructure and they are seemingly content to just let it languish. At least in the case of Tomorrowland, there's occasional talk of doing something. I haven't heard a single thing about any changes or updates to Future World.We can blame the shuttered Wonders of Life pavillion on accounting. But what's really weird is how areas with seemingly high profit potential are also closed. Sheesh, how long has that restaurant in Future World sat closed? Apparently, they open it for special events. But wouldn't a functioning restaurant that's open daily make more sense? Getting a dinner reservation at Epcot can be downright tough. And there sits a large restaurant building completely closed. I'm no Vulcan and yet that sure seems downright illogical.I first visited Epcot with a buddy back in 1989. It was a very quick visit. But, boy, the park sure had a lot more pizzaz back then. I last visited in 2007. What a let down.

• Disneyland fan!

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    Like every other attraction, in every park, on peak days it had crowds and on non-peak days it was a walk-on ... particularly when you factor in that it was an Omni-Mover people eater with an elaborate post-show (Image Works and Captain EO). The exact same is/was true of Spaceship Earth and the Haunted Mansion (Horizons, World of Motion, etc).

My personal opinion is that if Disney had left the attraction alone (with minor upgrades and maintenance to Image Works) the attractions popularity would be on par with It's A Small World (if not higher). Disney operates and trades on nostalgia. You can't build a feeling of nostalgia in your customers if what they loved isn't there anymore. There's a reason people won't STFU about Journey Into Imagination and Horizons. There's a lot of little kids in 1982-92 that are middle aged adults now that can't take their kids on these attractions (but desperately wish they could) - Disney made multi-million dollar mistakes all over what once was Future World.
    What "SunsetLament" said.
    Gullywhumper is back on the Rivers of America!