• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Your opinion on Journey Into Your Imagination.

What's your opinion on the first, second version, and third version of Imagination?? I myself absolutely love the first one but hate the second version. If that version was still around today I would be extremely pissed off and angry. Especially if I went to Epcot expecting to see Dreamfinder & Figment and seeing that. Man, that was dreadful. Lol funny thing is, even my grandmother hated it. I showed her and she said it sucked and that the one with Dreamfinder & Figment were better. Same when I showed my little sister. Though im happy they finally brought back Figment though. i know my family will have a great time seeing him back in ride when we go for our first time this month. Anyway, what's your opinion on all the versions of the ride guys?

• Heavy Breather

Re: Your opinion on Journey Into Your Imagination.

First version: never ride it in person, yet thanks to Martin Smith I have been able to experience it the next best way. And it looked beautiful. It makes me angry that they closed it. Yeah yeah I know the turntable made maintenance a female dog but I'm sure Kodak could have dished out the money to help fix bugs in the system. In conclusion, it was Tony Baxter's baby, and it is a terrible loss.

Second Version: pathetic, plain and simple.

Third version: a turd covered in chocolate. It looks like it has good intentions but in the wider aspect of things it's still a terrible ride.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

1st version: Was (and still is) my favorite ride of all WDW. It was whimsical and fun. It was beautiful and for its time, a technical wonder.

2nd version: Horrible. It was degrading and insulting.

3rd version: Still pretty bad but not as horrible as the 2nd version. It tries but misses the point completely. It's so bad they can't even get a line during a downpour on a summer weekend.

• Mouseketeer

I've only ridden the 3rd version, but I think the original is my all time favorite attraction at Disney. Based on what I've found about it, it just amazes me.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

I was just thinking about this yesterday. That ride needs some serious help. The original was... original. I was 9-12 years old the first 4 times I went to WDW and rode the first version of Imagination. I remember it being very hokey, but I didn't mind. I did think Figment was a slight touch annoying, but overall the ride made sense in the way it captured a whimsical, lighthearted, youthful view on the wonder of imagination. I never rode the second version, but from what people are posting on here it sounds terrible. The newest version is incredibly weak. It's so LAME! The premise that the Imagination Institute, or whatever it's called, is all based on the 5 senses is completely stupid. Like many rides at Epcot, and WDW in general, the Imagineers need to get together and completely redo this attraction with a better concept, technology, and and presentation.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I was just thinking about this yesterday. That ride needs some serious help. The original was... original. I was 9-12 years old the first 4 times I went to WDW and rode the first version of Imagination. I remember it being very hokey, but I didn't mind. I did think Figment was a slight touch annoying, but overall the ride made sense in the way it captured a whimsical, lighthearted, youthful view on the wonder of imagination. I never rode the second version, but from what people are posting on here it sounds terrible. The newest version is incredibly weak. It's so LAME! The premise that the Imagination Institute, or whatever it's called, is all based on the 5 senses is completely stupid. Like many rides at Epcot, and WDW in general, the Imagineers need to get together and completely redo this attraction with a better concept, technology, and and presentation.
    For those of you no haven't seen that dreadful 2nd version, here ya go: Epcot - Journey into Your Imagination - YouTube

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I have ridden all 3 versions of this ride.

So here we go:

Version 1: It was Ok. It didn't leave any impression on me positive or negative when I rode it. So when I came back a few years later and it was replaced, I was kind of meh.

Version 2: I thought it was dumb. But there were some cool special effects that I really liked.

Version 3: It is fine. I don't love, but I don't hate it. It fills a few minutes of the day. Honestly I think the ENTIRE Imagination pavilion needs to be rethought. They need to start from scratch, and come up with a whole new concept.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Banned User

Btw, just to add something off topic. I learned something pretty cool today. I was telling my grandmother that the original voice of Figment was Billy Barty and she then told me that she met him on a few occasions because he was one of her friend's clients back then. Funny huh? She said she had no idea he was the voice of Figment before I told her but ya just thought I'd share that with you guys. Found it quite interesting. Too bad Billy passed away on 1999. Ironically the last year he recorded Figment in Journey Into Your Imagination (second version of Imagination) ironically. Hmm strange.

First - I never personally seen, but from what I've seen on videos and read online it seems amazing.

Second - I only saw in the video you shown us, or what I could imagine to watch. I couldn't finish the video I was so bored with it. Maybe some of the effects would have amused me if I was in person, or younger, but I couldn't finish the video.

Third - The only ride I actually gotten to experience in person. I thought people might have been bashing the ride due to it simply getting rid of the original. Which of course naturally you're going to love the original better than a remake usually, or hate something that replaces your favorite ride, or show even. I walked in (at the time) with no knowledge of the first JII and thinking if I was unbiased that perhaps I would like the ride.

Nope, it was absolutely horrid. It was short, stupid, Figment seemed annoying, like Stitch (ex. Stitch's Great Escape). The ride itself seemed more like a lesson on the five senses than a ride about your imagination.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DreamfinderFigment View Post
    Too bad Billy passed away on 1999. Ironically the last year he recorded Figment in Journey Into Your Imagination (second version of Imagination) ironically. Hmm strange.
    Billy actually died in 2000 (of heart failure - he was 76).

And it's Muppeteer Dave Goelz (Gonzo, Bunsen Honeydew, Zoot, Boober Fraggle & many more) who voices Figment in the current version of the ride (for those who didn't know).

• Banned User

First version was outstanding

second version sucked

third version sucked so bad I only rode it once

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The first version was outstanding and only needed some minor updates to films and things. Tony Baxter was the lead designer of it.

The second version was forced upon the park by Kodak... there was a very limited budget, and the whole concept was done to theme the ride to the Imagination Institute's Honey, I Shrunk the Audience next door. With this theme, the ride became a darker experience, something akin to going into a mad scientist's lab as test subjects.

The thing is, the second version had some pretty neat effects in it, and dare I say, the story was more solid than the current version. But the majority of the ride was just not there... it suffered not because of concept, but because of a low budget.

The second version was so bad that Michael Eisner demanded a re-do.

That led us to version 3... the current version. It's pretty darn bad too. It doesn't work. Not as bad as the second version, but they've turned Figment into one of the most annoying characters ever, and he's really not supposed to be. Tony Baxter doesn't think the current version works either, and most of the fan community doesn't feel all that great about it. They are Figment fans, but not *this* version of Figment. It's really just a "meh" attraction... okay, but nothing all that great. A nice attraction if you want to be in the AC and pass 10 minutes.
    -Bill