Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Go Bears!

Not enough attractions!

My older brother (25), younger sister (19), and I (22) recently got back from a fun 5-day trip at the Beach Club (June 29-July 4), but we couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed...Call us crazy, but we felt like none of the parks required more than 1 day!

We were even a bit worried, reading crowd prediction sites and posts on WDW forums, that we would not have nearly enough time to see most everything...but we rode practically every "ride" (we skipped a few shows). We couldn't help but wonder why people seem to put so much time and energy into planning these vacations, when - to be honest - we ended up easily park hopping quite a bit and "playing things by ear" with no problems. Perhaps it is because we are young adults and a lot of WDW-goers seem to be young families with small kids. (This is another thing we noticed - WDW seems to be geared even more toward small children than DLR, if that's possible)

We found it easy to avoid crowds by attending EMH but avoiding that park with EMH for the rest of the day. We were able to "finish" DAK in about 3 hours and DHS in about 4 hours, leaving plenty of time for Epcot and MK. Granted, we loved that we were able to avoid the crowds (honestly, for attending during such a supposedly busy time of year, it was not that bad!), but we found ourselves a bit "bored."

Each park really seems to only have 2-3 "major E-tickets."

MK: Space, Splash, Thunder
    DAK: Expedition Everest, Safari
    DHS: ToT, RnRC
    Epcot: Test Track, Soarin'

And the wait times - again, during the 4th of July holiday - seem to kind of prove this problem...as almost everything at Epcot, DAK, and DHS except for the rides listed above was essentially a walk-on! Even at MK, lines were extremely short with the exception of those three, which were insanely long...much longer than I've ever seen lines at DLR during equally busy days.

Basically, we had a lot of fun, especially with the dining options (WDW has some amazing restaurants!) and our resort. And I realize that the resort "vacation" experience is why people love WDW. But I can't help but feel like, at the end of the day, WDW really doesn't have very many exciting attractions. Even Epcot, a park I love, felt pretty dated - especially Future World. Wonders of Life is abandoned, and Journey into Imagination, Energy Adventure, and Maelstrom are all embarrassing. Operations were also spotty. We were trapped on a monorail for 30 minutes for technical difficulties, stuck on Spaceship Earth also for about 30 minutes, turned away from Test Track after having waited for about 45 minutes due to technical difficulties...

We don't really feel like we "need" to go back any time soon...

We did go to Islands of Adventure for one day of our trip, and we had a blast there!

Re: Not enough attractions!

Im always surprised when people say they do DAK in half a day. The park is gorgeous and i feel that it has more to offer than rides. Aside from having the Safari, Everest, Kali river Rapids, Dinosuar, and smaller rides in dinoland along with a couple shows the park has some awesome animal exhibits that could take up a good portion of the day enjoying.

I could spend hours walking the Pangani Forest trail, Oasis exhibits, Maharajah Jungle trek and wildlife express train along with all the smaller trails that this park has to offer. Watching the animal in some of the best exhibits ever done is a thrill f its own and sometimes much more enjoyable than another 3d attraction or coaster.

could the park use more attractions? yes of course but only to fill the gap after sunset when most animals are in for the night.

I think the park that needs the most help is DHS, that park is a mess

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Seriously? Epcot is at 2 day park at least if you take your time to explore everything. There are a lot of hidden nooks & crannies all over the place. Same with MK. DHS is definitely a 1 day park... maybe a 1.5 day if you take your time to really explore. Never been to AK so can't comment on that park.

So many people just plow through the parks and don't take the time to really look and soak it all in. They just hit the "big/thrill" rides and ignore the smaller attractions. When you do that, you're really missing out. Disney is about the details. When you slow down and take it all in, then you're getting the full experience.

• Go Bears!

I agree that DAK is overall a better park than DHS, but I don't think DAK has many good attractions. Everest is fun but not as great as it could be (what's with the yeti?), and that's the only "ride" I like there.

Kali is decently fun, but pretty boring compared to GRR or Popeye at Universal. Dinosaur is awful, in my opinion.

I think it's a beautiful park, unlike DHS, but at least DHS has two top-notch E-Tickets.

I realize that rides aren't everything, but...I want at least some! I personally can't make a day of walking around the animal exhibits at DAK. I'm just not interested. I'll go to the San Diego Zoo for that.

I'm all for "taking things in." That's what I love about Disney! And that's why we loved World Showcase. I just don't think Epcot, DAK, or DHS provide much in the "rides" department. So I can assure you it's not that my group and I "plowed through the big thrill rides." We rode most every single attraction - including the smaller ones. We ate at five restaurants, spent a lot of time in our resort, and spent a lot of time walking around each park. We had a wonderful time.

In fact, I suppose what I'm actually saying is that WDW is great in the "soaking it all in" and walking around department, but not as great in the attraction department. That's what we missed.
    Last edited by KevRus; 07-05-2013 at 03:44 PM.

• Minion

ORWEN: Just be glad you didn't go to Hong Kong Disneyland. That's a REAL half day park that needs more rides!

-

I had very similar feelings when I visited WDW. I knew DHS and DAK were going to be smaller parks, but I figured the Disney magic would offset that. Overall it didn't feel very magical.

It wasn't so much a lack of attractions, but lack of uniqueness. I really like Expedition Everest and think it is a unique enough experience to justify a park hopper purchase (even with sad disco Yeti), but there is nothing else in the park that makes me want to stay. There are other places I would rather go for safari adventures and attractions.

And DHS is nothing but a bad mashup of DLR attractions for me. Well, except for the embarrassingly dated Rock-n-Roller Coaster and Great Movie Ride. Again, there seem to be better places to go for unique thrill rides or movie-themed attractions.

If I didn't live so close to DLR, I probably would have much different feelings. WDW would probably feel more like DLR times 2 and I could see spending more time there.

While I might go back for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, I will definitely go back to Universal for Harry Potter part 2. That's pretty sad coming from a lifelong Disney fan.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

A lot of people forget the reason MOST people go to a theme park is for rides. It's no different than going to an amusement park. The great thing about Disney is that they make the parks look amazing too. But to casual visitors, it's all about the rides and WDW indeed suffers from a lack of it.

Look at the ads for WDW (and disneyland for that matter). Do they show people leisurely exploring nooks and crannies for hours on end? Not really. They show people enjoying rides, meeting characters, buying a balloon and dining.

I think if more people went in knowing the truth, they might mentally prepare themselves better. I know my 2nd and 3rd visit to Epcot was definitely more fun than the first... but I was of drinking age by then as well.

I think many WDW regulars are used to how it is, but to people who don't frequent it, taking things slow to explore is not how the game is played.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

ORDDU: Hmmmm....I must say I'm surprised to hear that anyone would go to a Disney theme park mostly for the rides and attractions. I go there mostly in the hopes of being 'picked up', if you know what I mean and I 'm sure you DO know what I mean. So the number of rides and attractions are the last thing on my mind...

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Hmmmm....I must say I'm surprised to hear that anyone would go to a Disney theme park mostly for the rides and attractions. I go there mostly in the hopes of being 'picked up', if you know what I mean and I 'm sure you DO know what I mean. So the number of rides and attractions are the last thing on my mind...

Now that I'm a regular at Disneyland Resort, I'm often NOT going on the rides. But if I rarely go, I'd be ALL about the rides. The good thing about The Disneyland Resort is that there are rides and shows if I want to do them... but I don't have to to have a good time.

At WDW, there's not enough rides if that's what I was in the mood for.

and yes, I DO know what you mean. haha

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

If only there was some sort of system in place that sort of encouraged people to look at the non-Eticket attractions as viable means of entertainment too......I wonder what Walt would do
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Nutty about Disney parks

The thing with DHS and DAK is that if you go in looking for an experience similar to Magic Kingdom you're pretty much screwed. The same can be said for Epcot too. DHS is too reliant on shows and DAK is too reliant on exhibits. Neither of those parks are good on the actual rides unless thrill rides are your thing. Epcot is a little better but not by much.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    So, you hope to be the Main "Attraction" for some lucky parkgoer? Excellent plan!

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    The thing with DHS and DAK is that if you go in looking for an experience similar to Magic Kingdom you're pretty much screwed. The same can be said for Epcot too. DHS is too reliant on shows and DAK is too reliant on exhibits. Neither of those parks are good on the actual rides unless thrill rides are your thing. Epcot is a little better but not by much.

Precisely. But they're never advertising the cool World Showcase areas or animal exhibits at WDW. It's non-stop rides. That's what people want. They want experiences that they cannot get by say, going to a zoo or another country. There's plenty of finer hotels and restaurants out there too... but where are they going to get the latest in Disney Innovation?

Walt kept plussing Disneyland more and more with great attractions and animatronics and breaking new ground on ride technology every step of the way. If there are no rides, there would be no visitors going to Walt Disney World, that's all there is to it.

Rides are the real expensive but they're also what bring people in the gates. Heck, I know for certain that if WDW had more rides, I would make more frequent trips over.

WDW is also losing future moneys from people like me and the original poster who are not in any hurry to return. There's that one saying "if you build it, they will come." WDW needs to build a whole lot more than a new Fantasyland if they want to turn guests into repeat visitors.

Don't forget, Coheteboy, that's its not just more attractions we want. We want original ones if they want visitors to keep coming back. Like why ride Soarin' at WDW when you can ride the same attraction over at DLR? And the line is generally more manageable as well. And if you are going to copy an attraction, at least make it different from the original, like Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain. Both are the same ride concepts but offer something different. It's not just the rides that bring in repeat visitors, but also originality as well.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast