Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Do you guys miss Journey Into Imagination at Epcot

I certainly ride the current one on every trip, but I lament all that was lost.
    That said, if the two choices for redo are what's listed above, Muppet Labs could be cool if done well - like with actual animatronics and the usual "things go wrong" mixed with some actual education.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    An insider who used to post here has heard Imagination pavilion will be shutting down next year for a major overhaul
    If you're talking about whom I think you are, then you got only half of the story correct. The pavilion will get shut down next year, yes. Major overhaul? Well, do you think Wonders of Life had a major overhaul?
    -Bill

• Sasquatch

As someone without any history with journey into imagination...I don't quite understand the fixation a lot of people have this ride. I've been on the current version which obviously sucks, and I watched a video of the original. I found it quite dated, childish, and I don't think I made it to the end because I lost interest. It seems to me like it's possible that people look at this ride through sentimentality goggles and I don't understand the hype.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

Do i miss it?

Oh **** yeah...!

The original Pavillion was a masterpiece of design.
    Everything from the ride-thru attraction, to the graphic design/mural in the load area, to the upstairs *Playground of the Future* was awesome.

People who never had the chance to ride The Original JII attraction can never fully understand the massive scope this ride had by squinting at a YouTube video.
    This attraction came at you from all directions, and there was SO much to see and hear. Those grainy, dark videos you watch online pale in comparison to the REAL experience that was to be had back then. The intensity of the colors, the sweeping sound effects and theme music, the rose scent in the Dreamport puffed out from the atomizer...
    It is very sad to realize this great attraction is not being enjoyed by today*s visitors.

A huge part of the appeal of this attraction was not only the playfulness and charm of the two main characters and the concept in general, but the feeling of self-empowerment that most of the Classic EPCOT Center attractions instilled in you.
    They were EXPEREINCES that effected you on a deeper, more thought provoking level...and not just RIDES which are primarily for amusement.
    Anyone here who experienced EPCOT Center back in it*s prime will know what i am talking about.

I will also admit that the nostalgia factor kicks in for some people as well...when it comes to having a soft spot for this attraction.

Regardless, it truly lived up to it*s name and purpose and implanted some serious inspiration into multitudes of folks who experienced it in person.
    I was one of those heavily influenced by the attraction, and it made a huge impact on my life.

Sadly the original had some operational issues, mainly with the turning Dream Machine show segments having difficultly locking onto the ride vehicles.
    Something not always obvious in the YouTube videos out there of the Original Attraction is that the key opening show scene introducing Dreamfinder and Figment actually traveled WITH your ride vehicle at a slow pace. This was a amazing effect...but it came with a cost - There were issues with this engineering design and ride vehicles would sometimes not line up correctly with the show scenes and delays would happen.
    A CM eventually had to be positioned at the starting point of your entrance into the Dream Machine *turntable* staging area to insure things ran smoothly.

It was also a victim of it*s own glory...as it was a expensive attraction to keep going.
    I think it had up to 35 film projectors and multiple AAs and lighting rigs..not to mention to *Smellitizer*...
    Add onto this the complicated show scenes and track lineup issues.

I was sad to see it close.
    I truly felt it was right up there with The Haunted Mansion and Pirates as one of the Great Disney Dark Rides ever made. In my mind it was a great tragedy to see this artistic and creative masterpiece destroyed.

The 2nd version was a horrible insult. It felt like it was a painfully obvious slap in the face to those involved in the Original.
    It also clearly lacked any sort of budget...and i was glad that fans and Guests complained loudly and invoked change.

The 3rd version is a improvement over the 2nd, but still lacks the warmth and sincerity that the Original had. I will confess...i sometimes tear up when i ride through the currant attraction and think of *what used to be there* in certain areas of the building now.

Time marches on yes....but whenever i start getting depressed about the loss of this truly wonderful EPCOT experience i can savor the memories of being able to be so effected and inspired by it.

Oh....and visiting the restroom behind the Pavillion helps too. The original BGM is STILL present and i hope it is never changed!

Last edited by Figments Friend; 07-11-2013 at 04:30 PM.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

I became a big fan by watching the ultimate tribute video. Sad to know that I'm missing out alot on my knowledge of the original ride which I so dearly love. All I can really say is a big wt* to Disney/Kodak thinking when they thought of getting rid of it. Thank god I'm going to Epcot next week. I'll at least be able to see Figment in person for my first and probably last time before they get rid of him. Sigh... D**n Disney. Wt* were u thinking. U could've at least brought back Dreamfinder or made a modernized version of the original. Pisses me off that Phineas & Furb ( which i hate) or the Muppets (which don't fit in Epcot) are taking over. What a bunch of garbage!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The current figment isn't Figment. Don't be fooled.
    -Bill

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Well, he is still Figment but he's upset at Nigel Channing and mocks him in front of everyone which I myself love since me and my whole family hate the second version of the ride and Dr. Nigel Channing. I'm just happy they atleast will have my favorite Disney character there when I go.

• Heavy Breather

Just curious was the insider a poster mentioned a while ago a bus driver?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Nope.
    -Bill

• Heavy Breather

Was it Martin Smith or anybody of that nature?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Was it Martin Smith or anybody of that nature?
    It was Spirit. I am very excited as I hope they bring back Dreamfinder and Figment!

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    It was Spirit. I am very excited as I hope they bring back Dreamfinder and Figment!
    I hope so as well, but I'm still not sure.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Spirit was not alluding to them bringing back anything. Spirit simply said they're shutting down the pavilion, a la Wonders of Life.
    -Bill

I have to tell you that in October 1982 I went to EPCOT Center during it's opening month and I was devastated that the Journey Into Imagination (ride portion) wasn't yet open (it opened in December of 1982, just in time for Christmas). I didn't ride it until the following year, 1983, and I recall waiting over an hour in line when I did get to finally ride. I remember being blown away by the ride the first 3 or 4 times because there was so much to take in and absorb.

But, and unfortunately, there is one, after the 10th ride the attraction sort of wears thin. I'm not sure if it's because it is just too long of a ride or the music begins to grind on your nerves, or what exactly. It's just not as timeless as PoTC, HM, Indiana Jones, American Adventure or even attractions like Spaceship Earth and Jungle Cruise.

I eventually worked at Disney and by the time the 1990s rolled around the ride was becoming somewhat of a joke as was much of EPCOT for that matter. The pace that technology progressed seemed to impact this park's attraction's longevity. There was hardly ever a line at Journey in the after 1990 and it seemed like people were just riding it to seek refuse from the Florida heat not out of any nostalgic passion to do so (hardcore fans excluded, of course).

Allow me to also add that the two versions that replaced the original were/are nothing short of pure abominations - it would have been better to just bull doze the pavilion then greenlight these replacements. And I am confident that if the pavilion didn't have such an obvious foot print I'm sure it would have gone the route of the Wonders of Life.

I will always be a Figment and Dreamfinder fan (most of my work and personal computer passwords are variants of Figment's name). Maybe the storyline of the ride got a bit over the head's of many guests.

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Spirit was not alluding to them bringing back anything. Spirit simply said they're shutting down the pavilion, a la Wonders of Life.
    Oh goody...

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast