View Poll Results: How do you feel about my thoughts on FP+?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are horrible! You are a disgrace to the Disney community, you bring shame upon your family!

5 31.25%
  • I made note of the good points amd still rejected all the rubbish you have posted here.

3 18.75%
  • eh, wee will see.

5 31.25%
  • well.....(looks around to make sure no one is looking).....I might maybe kinda agree with you.

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mkcoastie

Red Face "Why I don't hate FP+" or "How I lost all of my Standing In the Disney Community"

Well, here I go. If I get killed in the ensuing riot, please tell my family I love them. Without further adue, a defense of FP+:

Let me start out by saying, I am not a local. I live a sufficient distance from Florida that I only get to go to WDW once a year (if I’m lucky). This means that when I start pining for my happy place, I can’t just go to WDW. I cannot stop by after work, or even go for a weekend. So how do I feed my Disney obsession? Well, like many I have met…..I start planning my next trip (if I can). Believe it or not, there is a great deal of excitement in just calling up WDW for reservations, it means I’m really going….this is it!

Now, once I’ve decided where I’m going to stay…..it’s time for ADRs. I don’t have a choice not to do ADRs. I have small children and a limited amount of time; I simply can’t do a 45 min+ wait for a walk up. What does this mean? It means that before I even get my welcome pack, I know which park I’m going to be in on what day.
    Now, let’s say months later I actually arrive at EPCOT for rope drop. It is my one day in EPCOT for an entire year, so yeah….I will be wanting to ride both Soarn’ and Test Track. As it stands right now, it will take some serious work to do this without spending 2 hours of my day…..standing in the enthralling Soarn’ line. As soon as the rope drops, I have to run like the dickens to either TT or Soarn’. As soon as I finish riding one of these, I run like the dickens to the other side of future world to grab a fast pass for the other one. I then have to say a little prayer that the time that pops out of the Fast Pass machine is not smack dab in the middle of my ADR….or a show I was hoping to see, or Illuminations! So the idea that I could grab a Fast Pass for these two when I set up my ADR, is well…….kinda nice for me. It Means that for the first time ever, I might be able to arrive at a park take a deep breath and go “ahhhh, what do I feel like doing?” That’s right, as backward as this may sound; being able to reserve a few rides in advance will actually give me more freedom and spontaneity in some ways.
    I realize that there is a lot that is unknown as of yet. There is a possibility that I will never be able to get a FP+ to the big e-tickets and I will end up frustrated and annoyed that I’m forced to use it on Imagination or what have you. There is a possibility that the system screws things up so much that the FP+ is almost as long as the stand-by line. We simply don’t know these things. What I do know, however, is that I could definitely see how a system like this could work out very well for a lot of people.
    This is not to say that I don’t see the other side of the argument. For someone who is a local, this system is not very useful, and eliminates a system that was much friendlier to them. If I was running down to WDW for the weekend, I would have no desire to try and grab FF+’s for a quick trip. There are definitely negatives to this system……but I also think there is a large percentage of people who are actually going to find this system very useful. I think you will find that it is not going to be as universally hated as the Disney community thinks it will be.

OK, let me put on my flame proof pants………

I’m, ready……..I think, queue the angry mob.

Re: "Why I don't hate FP+" or "How I lost all of my Standing In the Disney Community"

You absolutely have a point. If FP+ was entirely terrible, I'm sure at least one person in charge at Disney would have thought of or at least read some of the bad things people are pointing out about FP+. I think a lot of people here are just annoyed that a billion dollars plus are being spent to add FP+ and my Magic bands, when that could have built a few cool attractions at DHS, AK, and Epcot. And if there were some more must-do rides at Epcot, the lines for TT (which - I'm sorry - is NOT a Thrill ride... experience the trill of driving in a car less quickly than you drove here on I4 from the airport!) and Soarin' would probably be a little shorter.

It's weird, I was there a few weeks ago, and I did not hit Tower, RnR, TT, or any of the three mountains. And I don't really feel bad for it... and I'm a twice every 5 years kind of visitor. And unfortunately, will probably become less frequent - it didn't feel very magical to me this time around - mostly because of the rudeness of other people.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: "Why I don't hate FP+" or "How I lost all of my Standing In the Disney Community"

Heh! I kid.

I can see your point on this. As a sometimes visitor I also agree that being able to plan a few rides in advance to make sure they don't conflict with ADRs is nice. Most folks I see with complaints about the system say it is intrusive/privacy-stealing or that it is totalitarian and will eventually lead to no possibility of spontenaity for anyone.

I believe that, as long as it remains an OPTION and not a REQUIREMENT, it can and will be popular and helpful at WDW.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Roman View Post
    I think a lot of people here are just annoyed that a billion dollars plus are being spent to add FP+ and my Magic bands, when that could have built a few cool attractions at DHS, AK, and Epcot.
    This. If I do have one problem with MM+, it's this. I see myself making good use of the system, but I would MUCH rather have had the money spent on a couple of new rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    I can see your point on this. As a sometimes visitor I also agree that being able to plan a few rides in advance to make sure they don't conflict with ADRs is nice. Most folks I see with complaints about the system say it is intrusive/privacy-stealing or that it is totalitarian and will eventually lead to no possibility of spontenaity for anyone.

I believe that, as long as it remains an OPTION and not a REQUIREMENT, it can and will be popular and helpful at WDW.

Totaly agree that it needs to remain optional. As far as the security concers, funny enough, that doesn't bother me as much. I already use my room key for all my purchases on property.....so they already know when I leave my room, when I enter the park, when and where I eat and everything I buy. Heck, since I would probable use my Debit card otherwise, they could still get most of this info. The only new info they are getting from me is how many times I ride splash mountain.....that doesn't really bother me that much. Unfortunately that is the world we now live in. Visa and Google probably know more about me than I do about myself, and that's 365 days a year, not just the week or so I spend in WDW a year. As far as some criminal stealining my info or breaking into my room? well, Government I.D.'s have NFC chips, as do many VISA cards and every room key the Starwood hotel group gives out uses one (sheraton, Westin, ect.) I'm fairly certain that if they where as insecure as they are being made out to be, these institutions would have abandoned them quite a while ago.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post

Heh! I kid.

^thats the problem though. its a fact that this is the new system, there will be no option after the system is rolled out in entirety. now people will have to book what hotel to stay at, restaurant to eat at, and ride to enjoy months out from ever going to WDW. spontaneity is in the hangman's noose at the moment and unless drastic changes are made, nothing will stop the process.

the privacy issues in my mind though are totally bogus.

• Just this guy......

On a small scale I think that fastpass+ will work just fine. My worry is when it is rolled out to everyone. The raw numbers of people will make this collapse under it's own weight. The major question which has not been answered is how strict will they be about the returns times? It's one thing to be late for an attraction, it's another thing to miss a restaurant reservation.

I am taking a wait-and-see approach to this, because I have not been to WDW in ten years, and there's no telling when I will be back (hopefully, before too long). So until then, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The ticket books did and could serve us better.....without the loss of spontaneity.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    The ticket books did and could serve us better.....without the loss of spontaneity.
    lol great ANOTHER thing they can charge us for.

I can honestly say that I do not hate the idea either, but for an entirely different reason. We are DVC members that go to WDW 2 to 3 times a year for at least a week or more at a time. We know when to get to the parks to visit the attractions that we most want to see, and we go often enough so that if we miss an attraction on one trip, we are OK with that, since we will be back soon anyway. We haven't even used FP in years, and I simply don't see us using or needing FP+ in the future. Time will tell, though, as we don't have all of the details on what it will do for standby lines. The lines first thing in the morning are fast enough for us to get that ride on Soarin', TSMM, RRC, etc. If the FP+ times start immediately at rope drop, and the standby lines are crazy long when the park first opens, well, we might have to change a few things then. Until that happens, we will continue to visit the parks as we have done over the last several years.

Kevin

I've only had one visit to WDW as an adult, and it was hard to get into the dining places. This will make it even harder to do so, if more people are encouraged to set them up ahead of time. If I ever get back to the parks, I'll never find something that's got an open table for me! It took my breath away to see how booked everything was, and I'm not that picky about where I eat.

I'm a skeptic on the system. It doesn't sound like how I want to plan my day and I worry about it being fully rolled out and being (essentially) required if you want to actually get on anything or into any of the restaurants. Let us know how it went for you.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    lol great ANOTHER thing they can charge us for.
    Too late, they already do lol
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• failure for lunch

If you can't do both Soarin' and Test Track twice in the first two hours at rope drop, you're doing something way wrong. All 4 parks are low on attraction counts and can each be experienced in around 5 hours if you're using your FastPasses correctly. You did say you had small children, so that can change the circumstances a little but any park in WDW can be done in a reasonable amount of time.

Planning your meals are great..but your attractions?? That's just ridiculous.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Too late, they already do lol
    lol I know, merely suggesting that now there would be a ticket book purchase on top of your base park ticket price as opposed to one or the other

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

There should be no such thing as Fastpass. There should be no Dining Reservations more than a day in advance, and the reservations should be released on a rolling basis throughout those two days, leaving room for walk-ins.. I'm fine with using wristbands to enter the parks, your room, and pay for things.

The entire idea of Fastpass or Fastpass+ is fundamentally flawed. Planning is NOT something that everyone likes or wants to do. In fact, I'd be willing to make a wager that no one really wants to plan anything for a vacation. Anyone who does pretend to "like" planning now only feels that way because they know they have to. And generally that happens because they've missed out on doing something in the past.

As for you specifically, maybe you're just really young, but in the old days 20 years ago, you wouldn't have to worry about planning, the queues were not that bad because the lines moved quickly, and you could actually get seats in the restaurants, and you could get good quality food in the parks for affordable prices. You might like MyMagic+ because it's better than the current system (Which I agree with), but in reality, it's not the right direction to move in.
    -Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast