• Banned User

Everest Ride Video makes ride look BAD!

Well, I must say, by watching several of the ride videos for this new "E" ticket, that Expedition Everest looks like a really big bust (understand I am not a Disney basher here. I really like new additions such as Monsters, Inc., Disneyland Fire Works, Mansion makeover, etc.)

The ride is only 2:40. And, around 1 minute of this at the start look really slow and boring. Like a kiddy coaster!

Disney also feels that "going backwards" is new and innovative (as it's part of their marketing of this ride). Sorry, Disney. Roller Coasters going backwards is been there, done that, as early in my memory at Circus World's Boomerang, clasic Coasters at 6 Flags turning their cars around, and, of course, MUMMY UNIVERSAL (incidentally, comparing the ride of Mummy, which I have ridden in both Fla and Hollywood, and Fla is a better ride vs. the ride video of EE, Mummy is the clear winner: in the dark. Effects. Sounds. On board Music. A Haunted Mansion-like start. Backwards! Forwards! Many AA's! Videos! Smoke! REAL FIRE! Upside down! Filmed Projections! Mummy simply kicks EE's butt, BIGTIME.)

And all the fuss over the AA Yeti? It really seems like you zip by this sucker quick (as everyone says). Have you seen the AA at Tokyo Disney Seas in the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride? That blows Yeti away, AND, you can see him for a while).

Sorry to say, looks like EE is an underbaked ride, like Kali River Rapids (perhaps one of the worst raft rides in the world; incidentally, I feel Grizzly River Rapids at DCA is one of the best in the world, just in case you accuse me of Disney bashing).

I mean, even look at Splash. What, like 75 AA's? What a great epic ride. And EE has one AA? And no falling boluders, no landslides, snow, music, anything? Tell me ONE thing about EE that makes it original? Innovative? Like Spider Man, IOA. Innovative. Even Soarin has something new to say.

EE honestly look lame. Enough bad reviews at several Chat sites to confirm EE is not 'da bomb (and, many of you will say that that's the case for all new ride, bashing them. Sorry, not true. Indy Jones had unanimous great reviews, deservedly so. Soarin' pretty solid.)

Nope, EE is another WED turkey, though, not as bad as the biggest WED disaster of all, the vomit-inducing, inner ear affecting, small child killing Mission Space. But, that's another topic.

• They wanna know, HO!

Re: Everest Ride Video makes ride look BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx
    Nope, EE is another WED turkey, though, not as bad as the biggest WED disaster of all, the vomit-inducing, inner ear affecting, small child killing Mission Space. But, that's another topic.
    Wow, I don't know where to start with that one sentence, let alone the rest of the thing.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Ooh boy!

Blah blah blah.

If you haven't rode the attraction yet, your whole post (this whole thread) is idle opinion.

I think the appropriate response would be ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Yeah ... that covers it.

• Banned User

It's okay to juge a ride by a video... but there are ways to do it and ways not to...

I gotta say that you probably don't have a good sense of what Everest is like with just the video alone.

Going to the ride and seeing it being built and riders on the ride gives you a different perspective than what a video alone can give you. And remember that videos make things look slower if taken from the point of view... and faster from another point when using a close-up.

Plus you're not getting the coldness of the thing, the sounds, the smells, and the ambience of the whole area...

I think you need to factor all that in before you rip the attraction apart. It's fine to review something if you've never been on it... but you need to know every tiny detail when you do such a thing. And it seems to me that you don't have the full picture.

And the fact that you think Mission: SPACE is a WED disaster shows that you're not familiar enough with anything Imagineering does. LOL

• Self Congratulative

I'm trying not to watch anything before I ride it so I don't end up that way as well...

• I Hug My Tapirs

Honestly, I wouldn't judge an experience from a video. Anything can look bad if it's shot wrong, and the experience of a ride often does not translate well to a video-only format - especially something like a roller coaster where the image tends to be jerky and hard to see.

I have seen the Everest video, too. I am not saying the ride is good, nor am I saying it's bad. I haven't been on it myself, and I will reserve judgement until I do.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I am reserving final judgment until I get there, but I will gladly admit that the video more or less killed my excitement.

The ride does seem somewhat underwhelming, especially after all the hype. I mean, the Yeti is only seen for a short time (I'm sure it's a lot more effective being on the ride and having that ugly thing go zipping past) and from what I can tell, the backwards part is nothing too special. I know nothing can beat actually being on it, but it does fly a bit under what I hoped for.

Then again, something I CAN tell from the video is that WDI stuck to this ride being perfectly believable. Sure, it may not be some freak hybrid between dark ride and coaster, but that doesn't matter because that wouldn't have been as believable. That's one of the reasons that I'm GLAD there isn't on-board music. The thing I love about the Everest area and what I've been able to judge from the ride video is that that entire area SCREAMS atmosphere.

As for whether or not it's an E-Ticket, if Matterhorn is still considered an E-Ticket, then Everest needs its due as well.

How come when someone says the ride is bad, they're not allowed to judge until they've actually been on it... but when folks proclaim the ride is amazing, no one complains, even though, they have yet to ride it as well.

Actually, I'm a fan of letting people think whatever they want to think. I think it is proper to EXPERIENCE the ride and the area before making ANY sort of judgment, be it good or bad. I have my own opinions from what I have seen, but I'm reserving final judgment until end of May/first week of June when I ride it.

Also, I think you misunderstand the marketing Disney is trying to get across. While, yes, Mummy beat Disney to the punch, Everest is being marketed as a roller coaster that goes both forwards AND backwards in a continuous circuit (aka, sure, shuttle loops have been doing it forever, but not like this). I'm glad Disney put that part in because it DOES make Everest distinct from any other Disney ride.

• white and nerdy

I have to say that, after watching the various videos, I am more excited now than I was before.

It seems that a lot of you people suffer from what Stephen King calls "Seeing The Monster Syndrome". The idea is this: if you see a monster movie and the whole move builds up the monster as something horrific, once you see it you are going to be let down because concrete reality can never match the expectation you built up for yourself. This same pattern of overexpectation and disappointment carries over into other aspects of life including relationships and theme park attractions.

People who suffer from this disease are almost always disappointed with things that they were excited about before. In the Gospel of Themed Parks (R) They are listed as one of the three groups of people you don't want to go to a theme park with. The other two being people who feel a need to hate what everyone else seems to like for no other reason than to be difficult, and the people who claims they can't wait in line due to low blood sugar.

OK... kidding there.

kind of.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

I guess I just don't know how I feel about the ride yet. Looks like fun anyways. Especially because I find how rough Space and BTMR feel now kind of ruins that fun for me. I also don't think I've ever been on a roller coaster that goes backwards before, so I look forward to that, too.

I guess the big letdown with me was that the Yeti was being hyped as a big, impressive animatronic, and I guess I connected that with the Yeti getting more "screen time" if you will.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

The OP looks to be the same guy that posted on another site a few days ago. He continually defends his ability to expertly grade an attraction he's never been on, based solely on 320x240 camcorder videos posted online. He's entitled to his opinion, but that opinion holds absolutely zero weight with me.

See it first, then judge.