Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Multiple Day "Rapid Fill" Beverage Mugs w/ RFID Chips. Multiple Cheers!

That's sort of my point. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. If all your data comes from a single ( some would suggest obsolete ) product, and even that is arguable, then it's time to expand your Horizons.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    That's sort of my point. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. If all your data comes from a single ( some would suggest obsolete ) product, and even that is arguable, then it's time to expand your Horizons.
    Umm, until Coca-cola switches over, this topic is ONLY about aspartame when it comes to diet drinks for refillable mugs at WDW. Stevia may be safe, but it's not relevant here. I don't know how this became a health thread anyhow.
    -Bill

I hope they will have an option of bringing an old mug back and then simply paying a small fee for re-activation (one of the RFID-enabled ones, obviously), since the cost of the mug will have already been covered in its initial purchase. That seems to make “green” sense. I see the tiny benefit in the new cost structure, if only for folks staying for three days or less, as they can get by with paying a little less than the mugs currently cost, but I take issue with the increase in cost for the longer period. Why not just use the RFID technology to enforce the long-standing rule that the mug is only allowed to be used during your current stay? That would make complete sense to me, but the price increase just seems like more of Disney’s nickel-and-dime-ing, which they’ve become so good at doing…
    Last edited by cjwestby; 07-15-2013 at 08:37 AM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by cjwestby View Post
    I hope they will have an option of bringing an old mug back and then simply paying a small fee for re-activation (one of the RFID-enabled ones, obviously), since the cost of the mug will have already been covered in its initial purchase. That seems to make “green” sense.
    According to what was announced, you will not have this option. Just one of many problems I have with the new system.
    -Bill

• Inappropriate

It really isn't that outrageous of a price. If you get the 4 day mug and fill it twice a day, it's essentially the same price as getting two fountain drinks a day. The kicker is that we seem to be focusing on "4 days." I don't stay for 4 days. I stay for 7-9 days, depending on the trip. In that case, my drinks get a lot cheaper.

The problem is I feel like this is all just a waste of time on Disney's part. It's just soda. They're not exactly losing money on it. They're taking a system that doesn't need tweaking and tweaking it. What would be awesome is if they expanded the mugs to the parks as well. Buy a mug, drink your entire stay, anywhere! But that's me being more than optimistic. Bottom line, this is all very "meh."

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Huh, tracking chips? how those are supossed to work?

As an old water park cast member we used to get the mugs for our days off and share em between all of us lifeguards (we weren't worried about germs). They were done by the week day (assuming quests wouldn't be there on the same day for multiple weeks, but it worked great for us. They did change them every year, but only paying once for the mug was awesome. Now it doesn't seem like a deal at all unless you share it between at least 8 people (it that too gross? lol).
    Oh... I just love happy endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Umm, until Coca-cola switches over, this topic is ONLY about aspartame when it comes to diet drinks for refillable mugs at WDW. Stevia may be safe, but it's not relevant here. I don't know how this became a health thread anyhow.
    Coke invented Truvia with Cargill. From this list, we see that they're not using it in their mainstream soda products, so you have a point, yes.

( In the interests of disclosure, I prefer unsweetened kool-aid packets and Stevia-in the raw, 3/4 cup instead of 1c. But I grew up in the 70's and they fed up real sugar, so satisfying my sweettooth is important for sustainable weight management. So I'm not in the "I drink a 2 liter every meal" class.
    Beverages

• Minion

Coke invented Truvia with Cargill. From this list, we see that they're not using it in their mainstream soda products, so you have a point, yes.

( In the interests of disclosure, I prefer unsweetened kool-aid packets and Stevia-in the raw, 3/4 cup instead of 1c. But I grew up in the 70's and they fed up real sugar, so satisfying my sweettooth is important for sustainable weight management. So I'm not in the "I drink a 2 liter every meal" class.

well I would be a little hesitant on the truvia train, its very early in the process and has some questionable parts to it. keep in mind coca cola are the same people that used to put cocaine in their stock, not exactly the most trustworthy group of folks. I agree though at this point it is a better option.

from your brief analysis you seem to live a pretty healthy lifestyle and its totally understandable you need to feed the sugar monster a little but it looks like you are doing so in a semi sustainable way. people that get these mugs though will not have the options you were suggesting, and they are going to be guzzling down the bad stuff 24/7 at rates that are doing serious damage long term.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Aspartame is just one of the common artificial sweeteners.
    Aspartame is a trigger for migraine headaches in many migraine sufferers... myself included. And it is not psychological. I've often had a horrible migraine out of nowhere, only to find out a day or two later that the dessert I ate or a beverage I drank an hour or two before the headache had aspartame in it. It is one of the reasons I stopped eating Jello desserts at potluck suppers.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

people that get these mugs though will not have the options you were suggesting, and they are going to be guzzling down the bad stuff 24/7 at rates that are doing serious damage long term.
    You did see the documentary "Wall-E"?

• Minion

You did see the documentary "Wall-E"?
    lol not so far of a stretch to say thats where we are headed. admittedly though it would be nice to not have your toes crushed by those high tech hover-ECV's...

I think this is inevitable, and probably coming sooner rather than later:

Refillable mug, for four or more days - $24.99. But!!!! If you stay at a Disney Resort hotel and pay for a Disney Dining Plan, you'll get a refillable mug for free! *wink wink* Yes, I know most DDPs come with a mug now, but that's the point - Disney is going to try and snowball the first-timers into thinking they are getting "good value" for their (thousands of) vacation dollars. The other thing that comes to mind is Disney could limit the number of "unlimited" refills per day to, say, 5.

I guess the bottom line in all of this is that with these "enhancements", Disney holds all the cards, and can, and probably will, change the rules in order to maximize their profits while still creating the illusion for the guest that they are getting "good value" for their (thousands of) vacation dollars.

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    The problem is I feel like this is all just a waste of time on Disney's part. It's just soda. They're not exactly losing money on it.
    Not only are they NOT losing money, they are making money hand over foot!

There is nothing cheaper than soda syrup, when you buy a fountain drink you are paying for the cup more then you are paying for the drink inside it.

Why do you think that almost every restaurant has "free" refills and many theme parks have low cost refill cups? The overall cost of the product allows for it.

So for every "free" refill you get at your resort, you pay for with every drink you purchase anywhere else at the resort.

The issue here is simple, it's another way for Disney to squeeze that much more out of returning guests, plan and simple.

In the end it's all about the dollars, which I don't have a huge problem with as long as you use that money to improve my overall experience, but sadly that has not been the recent result at WDW.

That's a lot of soda. Maybe Disney should set up walk ways from park to park, so that kids and adults can burn off all those calories

As for the program, if Disney sets up enough refill stations, I don't see this being a problem. I'm just worried about folks living off of liquid calories for the duration of their stay. One 12 ounce can of soda is around 130 calories. That's like 10 calories per ounce. Do the math. And one of those mugs looks like it's only 12 ounces, so that's 130 calories x the number of refills. Maybe the mugs should be bigger If you refill twice, you have paid over $10 for 2 cans of soda. And I thought soda machines were expensive. If you refill it enough to matter, that's a lot of liquid calories. This doesn't sound like a good economic choice or a good health choice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast