Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Caesar Lights

Re: Multiple Day "Rapid Fill" Beverage Mugs w/ RFID Chips. Multiple Cheers!

This is silly..

First of all.. what does Rapid Fill do? It keeps guests from "stealing" coke. Since it does not allow guests to steal cups.. the only thing that could possibly be stolen is actual syrup. Now a few points...

1- In order to "steal" the coke syrup, the guests have to be staying at a premium priced "value" resort. These are the guests that are paying extra to stay on property. Since anyone staying on property is also going to be paying to get into the parks the people that could be "stealing" some coke syrup are already high paying customers. It's like a steak house enforcing a no refill policy on a guest that just dropped $40 on a steak. It's stupid from a customer relations perspective to enforce a policy like this. You are police-ing your customers who are paying a premium.

If that's not enough..

2. I'm not sure the actual percentage but I would say at least 50% (this is purely a guess on my part) of guests staying are on a Dining Plan and get the refill mugs for free.

3. Annual Passholders and "regular visitors" returning with old mugs... If you return to WDW on a regular basis I think you deserve free refills in your old mug. Again.. Disney is police-ing the regular visitors.. the best customers.

As a disclaimer.. I am saying all of this as a Disney fan... I don't drink soft drinks or the "Gold Peak Tea" that's got all the high fructose corn syrup. I'm the one buying the bottled "Honest Tea" for over $3 a bottle or getting coffee now that they serve the wonderful Joffrey's coffee (best improvement I've seen in 10 years!). So this decision does not directly affect me... but it's the point of Disney World trying to squeeze every single penny out of people that is really getting old.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    That's a lot of soda. Maybe Disney should set up walk ways from park to park, so that kids and adults can burn off all those calories

As for the program, if Disney sets up enough refill stations, I don't see this being a problem. I'm just worried about folks living off of liquid calories for the duration of their stay. One 12 ounce can of soda is around 130 calories. That's like 10 calories per ounce. Do the math. And one of those mugs looks like it's only 12 ounces, so that's 130 calories x the number of refills. Maybe the mugs should be bigger If you refill twice, you have paid over $10 for 2 cans of soda. And I thought soda machines were expensive. If you refill it enough to matter, that's a lot of liquid calories. This doesn't sound like a good economic choice or a good health choice.
    lol they do have them though to a degree though, thats the ironic part. Ive walked the path between DHS and Epcot many times and the path between Contemporary and MK as well as between Grand Floridian and Polynesian several times, over these 30+ walks I have seen less then 40 people and less then 10 of them walked for more the a block or two. why would disney build anything people refuse to use.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by caesarlights View Post
    This is silly..

First of all.. what does Rapid Fill do? It keeps guests from "stealing" coke. Since it does not allow guests to steal cups.. the only thing that could possibly be stolen is actual syrup. Now a few points...

1- In order to "steal" the coke syrup, the guests have to be staying at a premium priced "value" resort. These are the guests that are paying extra to stay on property. Since anyone staying on property is also going to be paying to get into the parks the people that could be "stealing" some coke syrup are already high paying customers. It's like a steak house enforcing a no refill policy on a guest that just dropped $40 on a steak. It's stupid from a customer relations perspective to enforce a policy like this. You are police-ing your customers who are paying a premium.

If that's not enough..

2. I'm not sure the actual percentage but I would say at least 50% (this is purely a guess on my part) of guests staying are on a Dining Plan and get the refill mugs for free.

3. Annual Passholders and "regular visitors" returning with old mugs... If you return to WDW on a regular basis I think you deserve free refills in your old mug. Again.. Disney is police-ing the regular visitors.. the best customers.

As a disclaimer.. I am saying all of this as a Disney fan... I don't drink soft drinks or the "Gold Peak Tea" that's got all the high fructose corn syrup. I'm the one buying the bottled "Honest Tea" for over $3 a bottle or getting coffee now that they serve the wonderful Joffrey's coffee (best improvement I've seen in 10 years!). So this decision does not directly affect me... but it's the point of Disney World trying to squeeze every single penny out of people that is really getting old.
    While it does seem like penny pinching from an individual perspective, and i certainly dont agree with the mug prices, I can see where they are coming from with the regulations. people by nature, particularly with the current generations are wasteful and greedy. if each individual at pop century takes 2 free refills on a capacity day, with an average of 3.5 people per room, thats 20,160 free drinks in 1 day at 1 hotel. while obviously this is an extreme circumstance but you get the point, it all adds up to a whole heck of a lot of money. its worthwhile to open up a company wide policy but i agree if your doing this to cut waste and save money, put the money back into the parks not your own pockets.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Your math forgets to factor in the amount of people who wouldn't pay for a drink anyway if it wasn't free refills... among other things. If you take in ALL the data, there's no way this can be a + for guests or the company. It's just stupid.
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Your math forgets to factor in the amount of people who wouldn't pay for a drink anyway if it wasn't free refills... among other things. If you take in ALL the data, there's no way this can be a + for guests or the company. It's just stupid.
    When I first read the word mug, I thought it would be bigger, but at the size of a can of coke, the whole refill thing just boggles my mind.

Here's another interesting idea. One of the cheapest staples with good nutrition is rice and beans, which gives good protein and amino acids and is vegetarian friendly. This is great food combo for trekking, and you'll see it as a staple for a lot of long distance backpackers. Given the miles that folks hike at WDW, you'd think this would be easy to find, right? For families on a budget, this meal should be available in the parks. Instead, you get to pay way too much for liquid calories and ground beef with yucky animal parts hamburgers. If that doesn't satisfy you, you can buy starchy pasta. Yuck

Now, if you have plenty of money to spend, the sit down restaurants at WDW are fantastic. But WDW should really provide better meal choices for families with less money instead of convincing them to overpay for the dining plan. Now, Disney is starting to sell fruit in its parks, but fruit is really just a candy substitute. Folks on a budget need good meal choices that will go along with their treks through the parks without causing problems for diabetic family members.

Check this article out:

Mario Batali Food Stamp Challenge: Chef Spending $31 On Food For One Week

• Program

I like that it will stop people from abusing the fountains and "stealing" a 0.10 mix of syrup and soda water. I know it's not much... but it's the principle.

The price... er... it's ok. I mean it's Disney, so obviously it won't be "cheap".

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    When I first read the word mug, I thought it would be bigger, but at the size of a can of coke, the whole refill thing just boggles my mind.

Here's another interesting idea. One of the cheapest staples with good nutrition is rice and beans, which gives good protein and amino acids and is vegetarian friendly. This is great food combo for trekking, and you'll see it as a staple for a lot of long distance backpackers. Given the miles that folks hike at WDW, you'd think this would be easy to find, right? For families on a budget, this meal should be available in the parks. Instead, you get to pay way too much for liquid calories and ground beef with yucky animal parts hamburgers. If that doesn't satisfy you, you can buy starchy pasta. Yuck

Now, if you have plenty of money to spend, the sit down restaurants at WDW are fantastic. But WDW should really provide better meal choices for families with less money instead of convincing them to overpay for the dining plan. Now, Disney is starting to sell fruit in its parks, but fruit is really just a candy substitute. Folks on a budget need good meal choices that will go along with their treks through the parks without causing problems for diabetic family members.

Check this article out:

Mario Batali Food Stamp Challenge: Chef Spending $31 On Food For One Week
    simply put, the vast majority of americans refuse to eat healthy meals, particularly on vacation. disney would not be making any money with these ventures on a mass scale and therefore they have no incentive to add them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234