Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Multiple Day "Rapid Fill" Beverage Mugs w/ RFID Chips. Multiple Cheers!

Muliple day "Rapid Fill" beverage mugs (that last for the length of your stay) are on their way to WDW hotels. They can be used at multiple Disney hotels, and even guests not staying at a disney hotel can buy into the program. Upcoming in the future will be an option to use the mugs at water parks.

The price breakdown is as follows:
    1) Single day mug: $8.99
    2) Two day mug: $11.99
    3) Three day mug: $14.99
    4) Four or more day mug: $17.99

Tracking of time of use is accomplished with specially designed radio frequency Identification (RFID) chips. Just name your drink(s) at the self-serve beverage station(s) of your choice.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Multiple Day "Rapid Fill" Beverage Mugs w/ RFID Chips. Multiple Cheers!

This is a complete and utter waste of time and money on Disney's part, and is generally un-necessary at the moderate and deluxe resorts. Not a fan for A LOT of reasons.
    -Bill

From Disney's POV, it let's them 'gate' free-refills. Stay in a value resort a few times a year? Pay Me!

• I love my family!

My only question is,

When you have 5 or more people trying to fill their mug at the same time, how will the system determine which mugs have and don't have a chip?

Should be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Caesar Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    This is a complete and utter waste of time and money on Disney's part, and is generally un-necessary at the moderate and deluxe resorts. Not a fan for A LOT of reasons.
    Completely agree.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I'll take this on your advisement as I have never used it. The main place I would really want free re-fills is inside the parks. Other than waterparks (and there's complications there), it looks like this isn't going to happen. I'm just not a hang-out at the hotels for free beverages kind of guy. Thanks for the advise Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    From Disney's POV, it let's them 'gate' free-refills. Stay in a value resort a few times a year? Pay Me!
    Good observation!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    My only question is,

When you have 5 or more people trying to fill their mug at the same time, how will the system determine which mugs have and don't have a chip?

Should be interesting to see how this pans out.
    Possibly free beverages when the chips are down?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-12-2013 at 02:29 PM.

• Minion

agreed bill. not only is it a rip off even at a 7 day price, nobody should be drinking enough pop over that period to make the refills worthwhile (considering a bottle is $2.50). its almost 20 bucks worth on top of the drinks you have at meals, just crazy. things like this are really helping the obesity epidemic lol

I think it's a perfectly acceptable solution. It always makes me cringe to see people using really old mugs/mugs that aren't even Disney to refill their drinks. I saw it a lot when I worked at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Soda is the biggest upcharge at restaurants. It costs them maybe 15 or 20 or so then they charge you $2 for it. Charging $8.99 for a one day mug or $17.99 to use a mug for 4 days is INSANE. This is Disney at their worst in being greedy/selfish. This is why I bring my own bottled water/soda into the parks. WAY cheaper at even the local Walgreens/CVS than in the parks.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post
    I think it's a perfectly acceptable solution. It always makes me cringe to see people using really old mugs/mugs that aren't even Disney to refill their drinks. I saw it a lot when I worked at Animal Kingdom Lodge.
    I don't see how that would make you cringe if someone used an old mug that they were promised would have unlimited refills forever at all WDW Resorts.
    -Bill

Since when did they say forever? I'm pretty sure they were length-of-stay always, with no way to enforce it.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Since when did they say forever? I'm pretty sure they were length-of-stay always, with no way to enforce it.
    When the program was first introduced in the early 90s, the mugs were indeed forever anywhere hotel refillable mugs. It changed to "length of stay at the resort you're staying at only" in the mid 90s.
    -Bill

• Iron-Clad Allie

As long as enough people are willing to pay the price for the conveniance, Disney will be offering the service. As far as using old used mugs, people used old used drinking utensils at home, so why shouldn't they use them while on vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Soda is the biggest upcharge at restaurants. It costs them maybe 15 or 20 or so then they charge you $2 for it. Charging $8.99 for a one day mug or $17.99 to use a mug for 4 days is INSANE. This is Disney at their worst in being greedy/selfish. This is why I bring my own bottled water/soda into the parks. WAY cheaper at even the local Walgreens/CVS than in the parks.
    Disney does indeed have the greedy fix in on park food and drink pricing as well as on Rapid Fill refill. The most sorry thing about it is that investers and Disney executives that never set foot in the parks are a primary driving force that create, support and purpetuate the upcharge gouging.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

"Remember when you first went out to eat with your parents? Remember,

it was such a treat to go and they serve you this different food that you never

saw before, and they put it in front of you, and it is such a delicious and

exciting adventure? And now I just feel like a big sweaty hog waiting for them

to fill up the trough."

~Julia Louise Dreyfus(as Elaine in Seinfeld/Chinese Restaurant)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

When the program was first introduced in the early 90s, the mugs were indeed forever anywhere hotel refillable mugs. It changed to "length of stay at the resort you're staying at only" in the mid 90s.
    So , your argument is a policy that is 15-20 years old?....lol....I love this new cup idea. People DO drink that much soda, especially those who don't drink coffee. Breakfast at the hotel? Hanging at the pool ? Leaving breakfast, grab a refill, come back after the park, grab a refill when grabbing a snack before bed? If you don't like it, don't buy it, but if you liked it, you wouldn't have anything to complain about. ....lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast