Thread: the BoardWalk

the BoardWalk

Am I the only one that think's that Disney's BoardWalk is REALLY WEAK? Every time I go back to WDW I give it another chance, but each time I'm just reminded of how small it is, and the sheer lack of quality and fun shops and restaurants. I really wish it was bigger, livelier, and had more unique stores, less generic restaurants, and just an overall better feel to it. Would be great too if they had some legit nightspots here; the Dance Hall is cheesy and always dead, and honestly dueling piano bars seem to be popular only with people from certain regions of the country. I fully understand that most of the Walt Disney World going crowd doesn't lend itself to heavy nightlife (bars, etc), but considering that they removed all the cool nightlife from Pleasure Island (which still pisses me off), you think they could at least have more quality options at the BoardWalk. Just the overall feel of the BoardWalk feels so weak and abandoned...wish they injected more "umph" and energy, more pep and pizzazz and made it a happening place.

Re: the BoardWalk

I think a big problem is they don't really sell the Boardwalk as a place to go - unless you're staying there. No direct bus routes, etc. I love Jelly Roll's but the other week when I was down there, we didn't remember if there was a cover or not, and there was, I think it was $13... we decided to pass as we probably were only going to have one drink and then keep going. We had a nice time walking through the shop and getting ice cream and margaritas, and just doing a resort walk, through BW, Yacht and Beach.

I think Disney is kind of dumping the nightlife scene other than what they are doing with Disney Springs. They obviously concluded the clubs weren't making money. I had heard that Boardwalk was intended to be a full boardwalk with rides, etc, as an alternative to PI at night, but obviously that didn't happen.

• Former Churro Jockey

Actually no, I love the Boardwalk and that's usually my favorite place to stay at WDW (either that or AK Lodge with a savannah view). I love having the Boardwalk there because it is such a pain to make it to Downtown Disney. I like the ESPN Club, Kat Cora's restaurant, and of course Jelly Rolls. I also like walking over to the Swan & Dolphin because they have some good restaurants there too, as well as the best coffee at all of WDW. I guess it all probably depends on the specific shops and restaurants that you like.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I loved the Boardwalk other than the 13$ cover at Jellyrolls which is ridiculous IMO, it was great! loved the transit and everything, I'm going to the real Boardwalk at Atlantic City in a week or so so I'll update my thoughts in this thread accordingly!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

According to my dad - through my aunt - Boardwalk was BUMPING when it first opened, it was my aunt's favourite resort because of how cool it really was and the excitement of the clubs and shops. On our first visit last summer, the place was totally dead. Wouldn't ever stay there honestly.

• Minion

I think if it were advertised a little better, the place would have much more people coming through it. It is a great little area and a name brand like the espn club is a draw for some in and of itself (i'm looking at the 'dad that got dragged to Disney and just wants a beer and the game' clientele). There is a give and take though, if you have too much activity outside a deluxe resort guest's window you may receive complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Would be great too if they had some legit nightspots here; the Dance Hall is cheesy and always dead, and honestly dueling piano bars seem to be popular only with people from certain regions of the country.
    Just curious ... what regions of the country like dueling piano bars and which regions do not?

Personally I love the boardwalk. We have DVC, and stay at the Boardwalk more then anywhere else. I am not bashing how you feel in any way here, just going to try and explain why I love it!

Location location location! The number one reason is its location to everything! You can walk to Epcot in five minutes, Hollywood Studios in 15! Hate walking? No problem- hop on a friendship boat! Ready to hit up the Magic Kingdom, or anywhere on the monorail loop? Take a quick walk to Epcot, and head to the front of the park to the monorail...your possibilities are endless! Anywhere else is easily bus accessible. Its really nice to have to put so little effort into getting to your destinations while staying at the boardwalk.

I think you were talking specifics about the actual board walk area in your post? I really do love that too. There are boat rides and bike rides at your leisure. Want to drive your own little boat? Take a quick walk around the Boardwalk to The Beach Club and rent one! I think Disney does not direct a lot of attention to bars, due to the amount of children WDW attracts everywhere. Having tons of drunk adults would not be beneficial to them. With that being said, they have a BEAUTIFULLY themed boardwalk packed with three options for late night drinks. The Atlantic Dance Hall defiantly would benefit from an update, but still gives a free option to those who don't prefer a packed dance floor. The dueling piano bar does charge a steep cover, but remember you are at Disney! The entertainers there really do excel at what they do, and have never disappointed me, and usually everyone there is clapping dancing and singing along! The ESPN club also gives sports fans a great place to watch their games, while having a few drinks.

Name:  board-walk-inn-00-full.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  94.3 KB

The boardwalk at night is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. The way they light it up at night is so beautiful, I cannot help but just sit and enjoy it for all that it is ! They have funny and talented street performers, who really engage the audience. That's another simple "plus" on the resort. They have lots of restaurants to pick from, as well as some delicious quick service spots! The newly renovated Boardwalk Bakery has something for everyone! The candy store cant help but draw in children and adults alike. The carnival games really enhance the boardwalk theme.

I think it is easy to forget, that the Boardwalk is a resort! Not a theme park, for free entertainment I think its really nice place to just sit down relax and enjoy the atmosphere. Times are busier then others, but you will find that anywhere. The Boardwalk is an always will be my "welcome home"
    Name:  disney-boardwalk-orlando-florida.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  70.8 KB
    I'm like a shooting star, I've come so far. I cant go back to where I used to be.
    -Jasmine.

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    Just curious ... what regions of the country like dueling piano bars and which regions do not?
    I've traveled and spent significant time all over the country, with the exception of the northwest (only been there for a short period of time), and between what I've seen and word from my friends who live in different regions of the country the only people who get really excited for dueling piano bars are from the midwest. I'm talking in generalities of course.

Clewandowski I'm glad you love the BoardWalk so much. The way you write about it you should work in their advertising department, your post reads like a promotional brochure, lol.

I too like the way it's lit up at night, and its location certainly is great (we used to stay at the Swan/Dolphin all the time and I always loved that location). For me though, as I stated above, between the lack of quality in restaurants and stores and consistent feeling that the place is practically abandoned I just wish Disney would've beefed up it's BoardWalk.

Mondo, having gone to the actual boardwalk in Atlantic City this past monday, I can tell you thematically they fit side by side together..

I think the restaurant options are great at the Boardwalk, the only thing I was disapointed in was the breakfast spot selection, but even then we just went a street cart for a danish and a coffee, that was really all we wanted when getting ready for a heavy day filled with walking etc.

The micro brewery has some great options even if you are particular to pub food, ESPN zone has great pub/grub selection...Kat Kora's restaurant is great if you want a more sophisticated experience, and I haven't eaten at Flying Fish in Disney but I have had the food from them in Dallas and it is FANTASTIC seafood...

I think there's alittle something for everyone to make the Boardwalk livelier than most of the RESORTS at WDW, or anywhere I've been for that matter...Really I found that dueling piano bars while not the MOST popular in other areas, I've noticed that ALL over they love them, heck Patty O'Briens is big in both Orlando and New Orleans, Howl at the Moon is ALL over the place, and the 3 I've been to are packed before 9 pm???

I don't know why but maybe the boardwalk just doesn't have that charm for you, and that's fine, but these are some reasons I loved my stay at the Boardwalk...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

ORD84, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Obviously I'm just posting my opinion, and the point of this thread was to see how others felt about it as I practically never hear anyone talk about the BoardWalk, whether in conversation with Disney friends, on MiceChat, or even when visiting WDW.

I've dined at Kat Kora's and was not thrilled by it. The service was blah, but I guess you can say that about almost all of WDW, and the food was "just okay"/tolerable. I find the brewery and ESPN pretty generic as well.

Anyway, like I said this is just my opinion and I was curious to see how others feel. From what I read on MiceChat (and I read articles and forum threads on here everyday), most people have lots of criticisms (as well as praises) for WDW. This is one of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Anyway, like I said this is just my opinion and I was curious to see how others feel. From what I read on MiceChat (and I read articles and forum threads on here everyday), most people have lots of criticisms (as well as praises) for WDW. This is one of mine.
    Understandable, just providing why I feel my opinion is valid, and trying to better understand yours
    -George S. Patton