• Self Congratulative

Wave Machine inside 7 Seas Lagoon

I don't know how much salt to give this, but I've heard rumors about re-tooling and reactivating the wave machine by the polynesian in the Seven Seas Lagoon. Can anyone confirm or back this up?

I always thought that the problem was erosion on the beach. It doesn't seem possible, to me, to activate machinery that hasn't been active since the 70's.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Re: Wave Machine inside 7 Seas Lagoon

I'm pretty sure the existing wave machine is beyond repair...I don't see any real reason for them to bring it back, anyway--you can't swim there, any more, so it would be purely for aesthetics and it would eat away and those beautiful white sand beaches...Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool is enough for me.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

I'm not sure about this rumor. All beaches on Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon are to be getting sea walls within the next few years. Although I can't confirm that they can repair the current machines, they can create waves with new machines... so that might explain the sea walls. We'll see what happens.

• Banned User

When the water is too choppy, like in poor weather, they have to shut down the ferries and other watercraft - I can't imagine them purposely creating waves now with how heavily they rely on those watercraft. With new monorails (aka: more reliable) and fewer resorts on the water, maybe.

• Banned User

Yeah, I have to agree. It doesn't make sense to put in wave machines again. Though I'd still like to know why sea walls are going in everywhere.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

You can't ride the waves. You can't go in the water. The machines have sat in the swamp for 35 years rotting. The waves errode the beach. I don't think we can say there isn't someone that would want them back but it doesnt make too much sense.

• Banned User

sea walls could be for hurricane protection as well as to help prevent beach errosion. I remember many many many years ago you could swim in bay lake. they had areas roped off and lifeguards on duty. but that was like the first couple years we lived here.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yeah you could, Seven Seas too.
    Kinda nasty if you ask me. Mr brother and I got splashed by Bay Lake water last summer too in those WaterMice...gross.

I don't know how people did it in River Country... :yuk:

I remember many many many years ago you could swim in bay lake. they had areas roped off and lifeguards on duty. but that was like the first couple years we lived here.
    I remember reading an article in the Orlando Sentinel a couple of years ago that was about this boy who went swimming in a lake somewhere in Central Florida - NOT at Disneyworld - and ended up dying because he contracted some sort of weird bacterial infection. Evidently there is some sort of dangerous bacteria that lives a couple of feet below the surface, which can enter the body through the mucous membranes in your head (eyes, nose, ears). This could be the reason they don't allow swimming any more. Does anyone else remember reading about this?

As for the wave machine - who knows what they will do with it, but the visuals and sounds of crashing waves would make a great atmospheric effect for the Polynesian.

Quote Originally Posted by JP12
    I remember reading an article in the Orlando Sentinel a couple of years ago that was about this boy who went swimming in a lake somewhere in Central Florida - NOT at Disneyworld - and ended up dying because he contracted some sort of weird bacterial infection. Evidently there is some sort of dangerous bacteria that lives a couple of feet below the surface, which can enter the body through the mucous membranes in your head (eyes, nose, ears). This could be the reason they don't allow swimming any more. Does anyone else remember reading about this?
    Actually, if you dig around you'll find that something very similar happened at River Country in early 80's.

Maybe I'm all wrong here, but I remember reading somewhere (and if I can find where I'll post it) that the wave machine was dismantaled and (at least partly) reused for Typhoon Lagoon. The Seven Seas Lagoon machine (supposedly) made waves large enough to surf, much like Typhoon Largoon's wave machine.

As for having waves on the Seven Seas lagoon? I'm all for nice, gentle, relaxing waves; but definetly NOT anything "surf-able" (for reasons all ready stated).

• Self Congratulative

I'm not sure. I think it would be cool, however I don't think it would be too possible. I'm pretty sure most of it is still down there. I wouldn't think that it would be operational though after all of this time.

As for right now, I'm going to remain skeptical. I just thought it was interesting enough to share though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Yeah, I have to agree. It doesn't make sense to put in wave machines again. Though I'd still like to know why sea walls are going in everywhere.
    Two words: Disney Legal.

They want to do the impossible: idiot-proof their parks/resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by JP12

As for the wave machine - who knows what they will do with it, but the visuals and sounds of crashing waves would make a great atmospheric effect for the Polynesian.
    First, you'll never see the wave machine as it was sunk in 1972 or 73 near the little island across from the Poly.

The bacteria thing is true ... but only to a point. It's at the bottom of all fresh water lakes in Florida, and doesn't stop people from swimming or kill them. You would have to swim down to the bottom of the lake and suck a load of that stuff in to do anything. Has it killed anyone? Yes. I do believe a few people (literally 2-4) may have died of this over the past few decades. It's very rare. It's not a legit reason to stop lake swimming ... although the snakes aren't fun either!

And the River Country water was filtered. It was not pure lake water, but it was pure bliss to float in on a hot summer's day. I miss that place.