Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: EPCOT's World Showcase Attraction Additions...

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub
    My heart skipped a beat when I read in the WDW update that the movies for Norway, France and Canada may be updated (Canada, sure okay..). Now we're putting rides in based on the movies??

I like the idea of maybe putting in rides that are like the Maelstrom in that it explores the particular country's various heritages. But, I certainly don't think there should be a tie-in whatsoever to ANY of the movies Disney has done/will do.
    Well, like I said in my 1st post, I was just experimenting and trying things out because I'm not too familiar with EPCOT. I only visited once. And I was unable to experience Malestorm. Also I felt there was little to do here for the entire family and asked "is EPCOT trying to be less DISNEY and more ADULT?" Apparently, the answer is a strong YES. Now it's clear to me. But I still think Mulan, Mary Poppins, and Brother Bear MIGHT work. But there should be more attractions like Malestorm in which previous posters have expressed their ideas and what concepts did not make it off the WDI drawing boards.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• The one, the only...

One thing that has to be said is that the nations that have the pavilions have them to promote tourism in their nations. They are not there to promote Disney characters or stories.

Now that I have said that, I too think that more Disney rides and stories would be great, but since Disney forces those nations to pick up the tab, we have to settle for travel movies.

I do think there might be a creative solution would be rides that still promote the country's tourism but are better then just a film.

I think that the Gondola ride for Italy or the Mt. Fuji ride for Japan sounds great.

I also would love a Mary Poppins ride for the UK, but as I said, it isn't going to happen.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

The only two nations in World Showcase that promote tourism on purpose are Norway and Morocco.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    Well, like I said in my 1st post, I was just experimenting and trying things out because I'm not too familiar with EPCOT. I only visited once. And I was unable to experience Malestorm. Also I felt there was little to do here for the entire family and asked "is EPCOT trying to be less DISNEY and more ADULT?" Apparently, the answer is a strong YES. Now it's clear to me. But I still think Mulan, Mary Poppins, and Brother Bear MIGHT work. But there should be more attractions like Malestorm in which previous posters have expressed their ideas and what concepts did not make it off the WDI drawing boards.
    I'm glad to see that you are thinking of new things even though you don't know Epcot that well. While your attraction idea are very focused on characters the major issue here is space or lack-there-of! As Bill said, Epcot is very focused on the culture of each country and with that there is a lot of scenic and themed details to each country's pavillion.

As for the adult or child issue you were speaking of I would say both. Epcot is a unique park. Yes, there's alcohol and great dining for adults. For children there's Kidcot, characters, and other fun little zones. I just think the enertainment itself needs to be found. It isn't obvious like all of the attractions at the Magic Kingdom or mainly shows like Disney-MGM Studios but a mix of both with a splash of culture and technology.

• Huh?

Maybe World Showcase should change it's name to "All the Different Countries." That's what 90% of the visitors call it anyway...

Hmm... nah.
    -Tim

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi
    Godzilla wouldn't have been a mere cameo in Fuji, he'd have been the star. Basically, you would first see him underwater(as the bullet train had an underwater tunnel). Upon surfacing, you would have to escape from the monster king's wrath and the climax would be an upclose encounter with Godzilla as he tried biting at your train.
    Everest.
    Good ideas never die...

Though that would have seemed a bit off in World Showcase...I don't think charecter rides will work in WS at all.

• Huh?

Not just Everest.... doesn't that sound quite similar to Kongfrontation as well?
    -Tim

• ROFLCOPTER

Kongfrontation should be revistited with the new movie out..
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• ...TWO BITS!

^Definately.

Thanks for your comments Piglet!

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Disney Prince

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Though that would have seemed a bit off in World Showcase...I don't think charecter rides will work in WS at all.
    there's a rumour going around that the 3 Caballeros are taking over Mexico's El Rio Del Tiempo ...I hope they at least do it tastefully.

I hope at least soemday both Mt. Fuji and the Matterhorn show up in WS.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

What about getting the host nations to use characters that are popular in their own countries? Or have some kind of central location that shows Mickey speaking, like, a gazillion languages in rerun clips.

But you could have Asterix dans France (but I believe he had a park already outside of Paris) and Gibli characters in Japan (already suggested). I do like Godzilla, that's actually pretty cool. But do it like you go in for another exhibit, like a museum or something and he TEARS OFF THE ROOF! Then you run to some kind of escape vehicle and he chases....well, crap, that does sound like it's been done before.

UK could do Sherlock Holmes, that could be cool and, as has already been said--Mulan is part of Chinese folklore. A gondola in Italy? Excellent. But how to give something so benign some umph?

Peace out,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The only two nations in World Showcase that promote tourism on purpose are Norway and Morocco.
    I don't know I could agree with that. China's movie is design to have you travel to China. CM's there even ask if you are going to visit their country. France does the same thing. Mexico has direct references to tourism in their ride.

I would say the only Pavillion that does not seem to push tourism hard is the UK and Japan. Otherwise, Canada, Germany, and Italy all gear what you see there to drawing visitors to their individual countries.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    Hmm.... I just dunno. If they can keep it a cultural experience. I suppose the RIGHT tie-in would work (but what's right?? LOL). I didn't mean to seem to jump all over your post like that. The park just holds a really sentimental place in my heart. (My husband proposed to me at Animal Kingdom and we celebrated at Epcot.)

I'd love to have more rides that help enrich the overall experience like Maelstrom. And I can see what you mean by the gearing more toward Adults atmosphere. I guess that's what they're trying to balance with Space, Test Track etc...

I just don't want to see anything that tears out the heart of the park. Dangit, POTC is enough!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    there's a rumour going around that the 3 Caballeros are taking over Mexico's El Rio Del Tiempo ...I hope they at least do it tastefully.
    I would actually be ok with that, since Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos were both movies that celebrate the culture of Latin America.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I don't know I could agree with that. China's movie is design to have you travel to China. CM's there even ask if you are going to visit their country. France does the same thing. Mexico has direct references to tourism in their ride.

I would say the only Pavillion that does not seem to push tourism hard is the UK and Japan. Otherwise, Canada, Germany, and Italy all gear what you see there to drawing visitors to their individual countries.
    No, you're not quite ummm, understanding what I mean. Norway and Morocco are the only two pavilions in World Showcase built by their respective countries to promote tourism. Everything else is Disney built to offer a sample of that country to you, not to make you want to go to the country. Norway and Morocco even have tourism desks to try and get you to visit. No other pavilions in World Showcase have that. I understand where you're coming from, and it may feel like they all want you to go there, but in reality it's only Norway and Morocco. There's no debating that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast