Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

EPCOT's World Showcase Attraction Additions...

Hi, I'd like to try out some attraction ideas for EPCOT World Showcase. I'm more into the DLR though, so I have less knowledge about this park.

CHINA: Mulan dark ride? Riding dragons.
    MOROCCO: Aladdin dark ride with magic carpet flight simulator?
    FRANCE: Beauty and the Beast dark ride? Hunchback of Notre Dame show?
    CANADA: Brother Bear raft ride? A Bambi grotto?
    UNITED KINGDOM: 101 Dalmations- A mouse coaster dark ride of Cruel de Vil's car? A Great Mouse Detective dark ride with overhead tracks?

Not sure about the others. I'm thinking about this because when I went there, it seemed like little to do. Or is EPCOT trying to be less DISNEY and more ADULT?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Re: EPCOT's World Showcase Attraction Additions...

Yes, adults have no place at Disney. Please build more splash play areas and I would like more warehouse style meet and greets. Maybe gut some of the stores in the countries and we can do it there. After all, adults are usually shopping in those stores and that's just not Disney.

• Huh?

Bambi isn't much Canada, I don't think... more midwestern US.

What they do need are more rides like Maelstrom. Rides that explore the country's rich mythological heritage or the natural/cultural wonders.

Italy: a gondola attraction would be perfect.
    China: This is one of the few I'd go for basing off of a Disney movie. After all, the movie was based on an ancient poem and had historical basis, so the character of Mulan is very deep in Chinese history.
    Japan: Fuji-san! Everything I've ever heard about the Mt. Fuji attraction sounds great. I want it built! Other things I'd consider, if they were to base attractions off of existing characters: Toho partnership for a Godzilla-based attraction (apparently they tried to get him to appear in Mt. Fuji and were denied), Studio Ghibli (maybe based on several movies, rather than just one - The Great Ghibli Ride!), or even Nintendo (which I consider to be the Disney of the video game industry).
    UK: attractions based on the rich literary history -- Mary Poppins, Pooh, Wind in the Willows, Chronicles of Narnia, Sherlock Holmes, etc.
    Germany: They have the building already built for an attraction -- time to build that ride! Other possibilities: tales of the Brothers Grimm.
    Morocco: Aladdin -- not so good of an idea. Sure, the setting is similar, but looking on the history of Aladdin -- doesn't fit. Morocco is in North Africa for one thing -- I'd place Aggrabah farther north than that. For another thing, the Aladdin of the stories was a chinese boy. What, then, do we place here? Well, I'm sure there are plenty of tales and locales that they can present in some sort of ride.
    France: Also has a big history in fairy tales. Many of the Grimm tales, such as Puss-in-Boots, were eventually ommitted from the collections for being too French. Something based on these fairy tales would be good. Three Musketeers is also a good possibility.
    Canada: I don't mind the Brother Bear attraction here. It's a very Canadian movie, based on the native culture. It would fill the natural and historic wonders of Canada void.

If they were to add another country, I wouldn't mind Hercules being part of Greece.

Pocahontas ride for America would be a decent fit. That movie was a lot less toony than most films.
    -Tim

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

too many characters! The eyes, it hurts the eyes! I like your ideas, but keep them over in Fantasyland or MGM...generally speaking, I don't think the people from these countries would like us stereotyping them with Disney's VERY westernized versions of themselves (i.e. Aladdin, the Arab California surfer dude...)
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

why do we have to have attractions based on animated characters? I may be in the minority but I think epcot is one place where disney character attactions should be kept to the bare minimum. You can learn about a country without a tie in to some character. and while I like crush I am leary of the nemo overlay in living seas. I have been around long enough to remember the old days of epcot with horizons and world of motion and when figment was the mascot for epcot.

• Huh?

Cmash, I don't think you're in the minority... in fact, most Epcot fans seem to enjoy keeping the Disney characters to a minimum.

Oddly enough, I seem to spend most of my Epcot time in World Showcase.
    -Tim

• ...TWO BITS!

I agree, more attractions based on the countries would fit more ala Malestorm. Sadly, it was under refurbishment when I visited, so I couldn't ride it.

I was thinking if Disneyland gets a new ride, it would have the Malestorm ride tech with a Hercules/ Odyssey ride concept.

Anyways, the Brothers Grimm, Musketers, Brother Bear, Mary Poppins, Narnia, Bedknobs and Broomsticks(?), Pochaontas, Mulan sound like a better fit. A new Greece pavilon would be nice. Where to fit it? What was the Fuji Mt. ride concept? I know about the Godzilla one. And probably less Disney cartoon characters would be better for this type of park.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Disney Prince

I say they build the attractions that were supposed to be there: Spain; Israel; Equatorial Africa with the savannah observation deck and the voices of Africa movie; Russia with its movie and folklore ride; Australia with the Sydney Opera House sitting pretty in the lagoon; Venezuela; Switzerland with The Matterhorn; Mt. Fuji to balance out the look of WS with Matterhorn; The Gondola Ride in Italy; The Rhine River ride in Germany; The Crystal Palace in the UK.

I have a thing somewhere on my computer, that I made for my own idea for a proposed Australia & Spain pavillion.

The Australia one would be half of a modern skyline (the front looks like Sydney harbor), however, towards the back of the pavillion it looks more aboriginal. I have two ideas, a 360 film of Australia, or a surf-rider ride. I originally thought of an Ayres Rock roller coaster, featuring AAs of dingos and kangaroos, and the rock would change colors at night, like the real rock, but after Everest, I think that maybe the mountain range is pretty full. No real movie-ties. Restaurant would be a fast food style place.

Spain, would be like old Madrid, and a boat ride through the adventures of Don Quixote ( like the Sinbad boat ride at Tokyo Disney Sea), and there would be many restaurants, and a bar with wine and tapas. Shops with Lladro, olive oils, wines, and spanish stuff. Or a 360 film, of Spain, going from the Meddittereanae (sp?) coast, the highlands of the Pyrennes, the green hills of Basque Country, the plains of Spain, the capital of Madrid, etc. etc.

Other than those, maybe India would neat. The area near World Showcase Lake would be like the banks of the Ganges.

Denmark would be neat, if they had a tie in with Lego, and they have a place where kids can see a model of Epcot made of Legos, and parents can enjoy a Carlsberg beer.

Thailand? Argentina? United Arab Emirates? Russia finally?
    Maybe updates to Japan and Germany (finally the rides/shows built?)

• Disney Prince

great ideas panny, for the Ayers Rock attraction, I'm thinking more along the lines of "Soarin' Over Australia"

I LOVE the Don Quixote Sindbad style ride for Spain.

and yes India would be a great addition to WS. Just imagine the Taj Mahal as part of the WS skyline...i'm drooling already.

Thailands architecture would make it a glorious addition to WS too.

And the concept art I saw for Russia were simply beautiful.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    What was the Fuji Mt. ride concept? I know about the Godzilla one.
    Godzilla was at one point supposed to have a cameo appearance in the Mt. Fuji ride... basically, a bullet-train ride through Mt. Fuji, which would've made it Epcot's first thrill ride.

It got scrapped because of competing sponsors. They already had Kodak sponsoring things in the park, Kodak was going to pull out if they allowed Fuji to sponsor Mt. Fuji.
    -Tim

• Clearing my Calendar

My heart skipped a beat when I read in the WDW update that the movies for Norway, France and Canada may be updated (Canada, sure okay..). Now we're putting rides in based on the movies??

I like the idea of maybe putting in rides that are like the Maelstrom in that it explores the particular country's various heritages. But, I certainly don't think there should be a tie-in whatsoever to ANY of the movies Disney has done/will do.

---wanders off to find a nice soft place to lie down
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Godzilla was at one point supposed to have a cameo appearance in the Mt. Fuji ride... basically, a bullet-train ride through Mt. Fuji, which would've made it Epcot's first thrill ride.

It got scrapped because of competing sponsors. They already had Kodak sponsoring things in the park, Kodak was going to pull out if they allowed Fuji to sponsor Mt. Fuji.
    Godzilla wouldn't have been a mere cameo in Fuji, he'd have been the star. Basically, you would first see him underwater(as the bullet train had an underwater tunnel). Upon surfacing, you would have to escape from the monster king's wrath and the climax would be an upclose encounter with Godzilla as he tried biting at your train.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    great ideas panny, for the Ayers Rock attraction, I'm thinking more along the lines of "Soarin' Over Australia"

I LOVE the Don Quixote Sindbad style ride for Spain.

and yes India would be a great addition to WS. Just imagine the Taj Mahal as part of the WS skyline...i'm drooling already.

Thailands architecture would make it a glorious addition to WS too.

And the concept art I saw for Russia were simply beautiful.
    You know if there is any room next to the Canada pavillion, they could take one of the Soarin' Theaters from The Land, and make it Australia film. Australia is quite diverse as California and would make a cool film, Imagine if they started your hanglider off of Ayres Rock and you go up then down, over the desert, swoop over the Great Barrier Reef with whales or dolphins jumping, over an outback farm with sheep, the city of Sydney with the harbor and operahouse, the surfers of gold coast, and swoop over Disneyland Melbourne....oops...I mean then back into the sky?. I don't know how that ride's queue and the room between WS and FW would work out, but they could also finally add a mountain range on the side of the building, so Canada has a nice skyline again.
    Last edited by pancakesaregood; 01-25-2006 at 07:16 PM.

• UH..LIKE DUH..

Add a big World of Disney store into the CHINA pavilion and show real chinese kids making the stuff!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast