Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Imagination Pavillion Rumored to Close

Back when Test Track was getting its revamp I said this it would probably be the weather vane showing the new direction for Future World. Yes that was an entire parks president ago but what did we learn from it?

We learned that there was a solid effort to make the attraction more futuristic. Sure it was a Tron-esque future but futuristic things work better when they evoke a mood rather than try to make predictions, which is where 90s Epcot failed. We also learned from a few nods to the old pavilion logo that there was at least passing interest in the parks nostalgia.

How does that translate to Imagination? The original pavilion was not futuristic. Some of the exhibits in the old Image Works were but overall the place was too abstract to have anything resembling a time period. The nostalgia factor however is enormous compared to not only Test Track but anything related to Epcot. Trying to have Epcot without Figment is roughly akin to trying to have a Disneyland without pirates. It alters the very essence of what the thing is.

The other thing we learned from Test Track is the strong desire to use the same ride path. For that ride it was probably because the visceral part was popular, but the visuals were nearly nonexistent. However I think it's unlikely we'll see the building gutted and an all new ride system installed like when World of Motion became Test Track. The question is, would they use the current shortened track or try to go back to something more like the original? Keeping what is there is clearly the most economical option and it really comes down to what kind of budget this project gets. My hope is that it's a good one because they need something to pull people out of line for Soarin'.

I think the long odds option is making Imagination the first state side trackless attraction. It's a good fit thematically, it makes the revolving opening scene possible again without any of the technical issues the original had, and would be a fantastic way to recreate something similar to the old show for modern audiences. It makes far too much sense to be something Disney would ever consider doing.

This is all of course just my speculation. I could be completely wrong. We could end up with Phinneas and Ferb or the Muppets but it seems like Nemo may have taught them that forced synergy doesn't mesh well with Epcot. At least I'm hoping. Epcot is in trouble and they need to be smart if they ever hope to fix it.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• From the Garums

Very interesting and insightful Dan.

They didn't use the obvious synergy of Test Track/Cars, even though Cars doesn't yet have a presence as an attraction at WDW (besides Lights motors action a little bit), so let's hope that they also let Imagination fly on its own wings.

This excites me so much. I was just talking to my parents about what a sad place the Imagination Pavilion is, between Captain Eo, which was fun for a bit but has now overstayed its return, and Eric Idle The Musical, which might be the most unimaginative Disney ride around today. Or ever.

The original ride was very fun and certainly superior to the Eric Idle one, but the ride system was a hot mess and by the time it was replaced, it had grown mundane and was really due for an overhaul.

At this point, I'd like to see the entire thing completely re-imagined. Dreamfinder and Figment (the original incarnation, not the irritating little bug that's in the ride today) MIGHT be able to still find a home there, but I think Disney should prioritise making something truly imaginative over trying to find some way of making them work.

Also a reduction of Eric Idle in the park would be an overall improvement, no matter what he and the irritating purple lizard formerly known as Figment are replaced with.

Unless it's Phineas and Ferb. Then Eric Idle is welcome to stay as long as he likes.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Well my family and I love Figment and didn't think the new ride was terrible but it definitely sub par compared to the original. What I say is they should bring back the original using all modern day new technology to fix the problems the old 80's version had and this way none of those problems will exist anymore. When me and my little sister were there we wanted to go sneak up to the old ImageWorks so bad!!! We knew what still lurked up there and we knew Dreamfinder & Figment were still up there too but unfortunately we couldn't cause it was blocked off by a rope!! Darn It!! All I can hope is they'll fix everything up there, return the ride to what it once was using modern technology, and modernize the old ImageWorks. Sucks it was closed too cause my lil sis wanted to see and walk through the rainbow tunnel and I wanted to meet Dreamfinder & Figment and take a pic with them darn it! When I was there we didn't even see Figment walking around so we could take a pic with him. The meet Figment thing seemed to be closed and we were bummed! Boo! But oh we'll, atleast we got to see Figment and get some souvineers at the little store.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Oh ya, also ironically, a week after that I saw this South Park episode where it had this Dreamfinder parody on this one episode called ImaginationLand! Hilarious! And his "One Little Spark" parody was pretty hilarious. Also the Dreamship looks like had would happen if you put the Dreamcatcher from Journey Into Imagination and The Airship from The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin in a blender and bam you'd get that lol

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345