• Mkcoastie

Red Face All that fuss over a WDW Add?! Yes, and here is why....

Let me start this off by having you watch this......

To me, this is beautiful. I understand, this is seemingly just an advertisement, so what's the big deal? To me, a whole lot. This is the first thing I have seen that actually seems to capture WDW to me. Whomever was involved in making this actually seems to get it. I feel like this was made by someone who actually cares about WDW, and understands what makes the place so special. It's not just tea-cups and princesses, It shows everything....for everyone. This is a far cry from what I have come to expect from Disney marketing......let me elaborate on that

For an example of why this is very different from your standard fare, take a look at this recent ad.........

Did you catch what I did? Someone cares so little about WDW that they didn't even bother going there to shoot the ad. That's right, almost the entire thing was shot in DL. I guess whomever was responsible for this one thought, "hey, DL's the same thing right?" This advertising spot also shows only one park, only one demographic, and none of the various resorts and activities that make up WDW proper. Yes, this is a lot shorter...but I really feel it is also just misses the mark. It's cute, but nothing like the first one. The last thing I will mention about this one is the music. I have no problem with One Republic's "Good Life," but it's a song about waking up after a night of drinking....cool sounding chorus, but hardly appropriate.

Next up, we have this.....

OK, a little bit better....at least this add actually features WDW. But again, we are shown only one real demographic. I know that this is the target demographic for a reason, but we NEVER see ads about everything WDW has to offer to people who are not 6-12 years old. They at least show some more of WDW, but do it in a very poor manner. The "pool time" actually looks ugly to me......and is taken at an angle that could just have easily allowed it to be filmed at my local Motel 6.....and "night life" is depicted as grandma dancing with the kids in front of world of Disney?

So with all that being said, I'm still getting excited about what is seemingly an advertisement. In the grand scheme of things is this really that important? No, probably not......But I can't help but think that it represents something more. The video posted at the top seems like something I would have made about my favorite place in the world. It seems like it was made by someone whom actually cares about, and understands, WDW.....and that's not a feeling I get about a lot of stuff that comes out of the various marketing and merchandising units (or even the parks and resorts leadership) these days. It made me miss my happy place.

Just wanted to share, thanks for listening to my rant.
    Last edited by mkcoastie; 07-28-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: to fix my horrible spelling

• formerly very helpful

Re: All that fuss over a WDW Add?! Yes, and here is why....

I agree. Love that add!

• Seed and Mulch

Well, for the first 20 or so years of WDW, the "look at all the very different things you can do at Walt Disney World ... you don't just have to be a family with kids ... adults will love it here too" theme was prevalent in all of the advertising.

You saw adults (by themselves) golfing, riding horseback, sailing, dressed up for dinner. And, of course, there were scenes with kids ... but there weren't only kids (in the parks).

Then, around the time Frank Wells died, the advertising took a sharp turn to "you are the worst mother on the planet if your kid doesn't get to go to the Magic Kingdom and hug Mickey Mouse". This is predominantly the theme in pretty much all advertising since the early 1990s. The attitude is "this is a place for 8 year olds, and if you're not an 8 year old, you're not going to enjoy yourself".

I love the first commercial, but I don't dislike the others. When you only have 30 seconds to tell a story, you have to pick and choose what your going after. I guess it just depends on when the ads will be aired, and at what time.
    Last edited by redrhino54; 07-28-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: wrong word....lol

• Mkcoastie

While I will accept that there is only so much that can be done in a much shorter time, that is still no excuse to make a WDW advert almost completely out of Disneyland footage.

• Metro-Retro Historian

This is the best Walt Disney World as I've seen in a long time. I'm really surprised they actually showed something other than the hub for more than half a second, let alone stuff outside the Magic kingdom entirely. This is what happens when you treat each property as it's own distinct entity and not just a part of the Disney Parkstm empire.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

They've been using the DL footage in WDW commercials (and vice versa) for years now. Nothing new there.

Before I put my "two cents" in so to say- Did you see that aired on TV anywhere? I am curious where you found it..as I think it could do a LOT for WDW.

I absolutely love that, and understand your feelings 100%. As someone who loves WDW, as a whole- this speaks volumes to me. What happened to the days where Disney was the Vacation Kingdom of the World? Not just rides and princesses. Epcot was a place to learn, thriving with non ride educational yet super fun extras. It was its own unique STYLE of Disney. Thats what made it great. Now its been let go, and over run with cartoonlike details. Nemo is a shell of what was once educating guests.

I sort of started rambling off there, but it all does come down to how Disney is doing things now. Disney used to market everything so differently. Take a look back at the early 90's even. Not one park, princesses and rides were the highlight. Disney has so much to see and do, and is only doing what it knows makes its money. There is no more "plussing" going on anymore where it counts. Fantacy land is great, the idea of whats coming to Hollywood studios makes me excited. Sure, Animal Kingdom can use some help...but what about long lost Epcot... the memory maker for SO many people. Again rambling off here, but the advertisments just show what disney thinks is at the top of importance to people. The Advertisment you posted at the top, made me tear up. Anyone reading this knows why, WE are the Disney fans who love Disney for every inch, no matter good or bad we still love it. Its embedded into us, and will always be.

I love that ad, and thank you so much for posting it! Yes Disney does only have so much time to make their ad fit, but they are taking the easy way out. They need new management, people who know what walt stood for, and who have memorys of The Kingdom that was. Water sports, Water Parks, Culture, Dining, Learning, Shopping. "Making Memories" "Tomorrows Child" "Just listen to the land we all love" Who doesnt remember those songs. There is so much they can do with their ads, to remind people who grew up with these parks...that it is not all changed.. you just need to know where to find it.

Sorry for my long responce but you sparked something very emotional inside of me. We love Disney! We Will Be Heard! And quite possible have been if this new ad means anything for the future.
    I'm like a shooting star, I've come so far. I cant go back to where I used to be.
    -Jasmine.

to be fair, the "This is gonna be good" commerical isn't for WDW, it's for Disney Parks.

That is a really nice ad - I hope the shortened version that makes it onto TV shows more than the castle and princesses, too! It almost makes me want to go back!

What the advert on the top does best is that it spends the first third of the allotted time to identify and celebrate the Cast Members.

It's that human element that has always provided the most significant memories for me or my family at WDW and DL. We can't say that about Universal or any other theme park other than Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO.

Hello there...1st post. I've been posting on another Disney forum for 8 years, but people here seem friendly, so thought I'd join the fun.

Great post by the OP re the commercial, and I agree wholeheartedly with mkcoastie's analysis! One other thing of note, no video of the sorcer's hat 'icon' at D.H.S....just the Earful Tower. That's typical of anything I've seen in the past few months promoting WDW. :-) This just reaffirms the rumor that with the upcoming DHS redo, the hat will be moved (or gone) and we'll have not only a wonderful Star Wars and pixar expansion, but the view we had on Hollywood Blvd. when the park opened in '89. Sweet!