Mysterious Haunted Mansion Experience?

While I'm a pretty substantial Haunted Mansion enthusiast, I had a bit of a nicely weird experience the other day while at the attraction that left me a little puzzled.

I was with my family, a group of four in total, and we were ushered into a stretching room by ourselves. Everything else about it was normal, except that we were the only ones that they put in there (and that the attending cast member took the blackout as an opportunity to appear behind my mother and scare the pants off her).

This was really exciting because I could recite the Ghost Host's spiel as dramatically Paul-Freesy as I wanted the whole time without being judged by anyone except the rest of my family. However, it did leave us puzzled as to what the reasoning behind putting a single group into the room.
    Does anyone know if this is something that cast members do occasionally simply to give a random party an especially spooky experience/ a chance to act like idiots in the stretching room as an extra-magical bonus, or if there is some kind of technical reasoning involving crowd management behind this?

As someone who likes to know everything about The Haunted Mansion and about Disney's stage management in general, this has got my brains wracked.

Re: Mysterious Haunted Mansion Experience?

Magic.

• Minion

ORWEN: Maybe the cast member was psychic and knew ahead of time how you'd behave and decided to just have you and your family go into the stretching room by yourselves. I mean, it happens!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I think you just had a magical moment
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I'd say that you had some of that limited time magic!

​Cool! Gave you a moment with the Mansion.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• formerly very helpful

How large of a crowd was there waiting besides your group? I'm assuming there were others, otherwise being ushered in by yourselves wouldn't be unusual. The only thing I can think of is if the other people waiting formed a group by themselves that had to be isolated from others for some reason.
    Anyway, sounds like you got a great experience. Way to go.

• From the Garums

That happened to me once, similarly. The cast member beckoned us into the stretching room after we had just been in the :other: stretching room to hear all the creepy sound effects that play during unloading. There was a very creepy "GET OUUUUT" that you'd never be able to hear in a full room.

My guess is that's some real plussing from Disney, just picking some lucky group out and making their day a bit more special. That room would be pretty creepy if you were in there alone. Sounds super fun though!

edit: I should have a larger vocabulary. I said "creepy" 3 times in this.
    Last edited by RexSaucy; 08-06-2013 at 10:30 AM.

• Heavy Breather

That sounds like an Awesome experience.

• I'm a Lutheran

I've had two scary cast member experiences before.

For starters, on my recent trip, a butler emerged from the shadows in the portrait corridor and scared the CRAP out of a mom and her daughter. Needless to say they were laughing their brains out after at least ten seconds of screaming.

About two summers ago, my aunt, brother, and I were leaving the ride late at night. While disembarking from our doom buggy, an absolutely TERRIFYING butler with a high-pitched falsetto leaped out of nowhere, and shrieked "COME BACK SOON!" By far the scariest moment I've ever had on the mansion. Funny but scary.

There's a video of HMH somewhere on YouTube where a butler leaps out at doom buggies in the loading area whilst holding some kind of crowbar-looking pole.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Was there a big line to get in the doom buggies after you got out of the stretch room? The last couple times we have been there (we go about once a year, always in the off season), it has been absolutely PACKED (literally with cast members pushing people in Japanese subway style) when you come out of the stretch room, taking more than half an hour to get to the doom buggies. So I wonder if the backup had gotten to the point where they could not physically fit an entire stretch room full of people into the next area, so they were only letting through one group at a time until they cleared the backlog a bit.

I had this happen to me on the Tower Of Terror at DCA. My friend and I were the first two added to an empty queue and jokingly said "just let us go alone". The CM laughed, but sure enough we never had anybody else join us in line. Then the elevator doors opened and we were beckoned in. It was SUPER cool!! Faster than normal...louder than normal...and shakier than normal. It was actually a bit scary. I think it is something CM's probably do now and again for fun and to give a guest a rare treat.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Capacity. poohmeg hit it on the head. (Though half an hour? That's actually physically impossible for that space, unless the ride stopped while you were waiting there)
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Capacity. poohmeg hit it on the head. (Though half an hour? That's actually physically impossible for that space, unless the ride stopped while you were waiting there)
    The ride must have been stopped - we couldn't see anything since we were so packed in, but nobody was moving in front of us while they continued to shove more people in behind us. They must have stopped adding people eventually when they couldn't push any more, but there's no way that they were in compliance with the fire code, since it wasn't possible to even take a step in any direction!