Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New Third Gate at Universal Orlando effect on WDW

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    Does Universal pose any immediate threat to WDW by all of its recent and proposed expansion? Perhaps, but the thing to realize is that all of this is cyclical. Universal cannot maintain this sort of growth for long without pausing to get back a return on its investment.
    Another thing to consider is that Disney still has several THOUSAND ACRES of undeveloped land that they can use for a 5th or 6th park. USO is 'land locked and can't expand as easy as WDW. I do not see WDW having much to worry about from USO. Just my take on things.

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by w-steele View Post
    Another thing to consider is that Disney still has several THOUSAND ACRES of undeveloped land that they can use for a 5th or 6th park. USO is 'land locked and can't expand as easy as WDW. I do not see WDW having much to worry about from USO. Just my take on things.
    But Disney reached the point where each new gate takes away attendance from their own parks. It just spreads around the same visitors, rather than drawing a new crowd. Universal has it much easier where people are spending less time at Disney in favor of more time at Universal.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

What if Universal Studios Orland would tear down it's studios and the backlot parking space. That would free up enough space for a third gate. But I thing Universal won't do that. There is enough space in the park where they can expand or improve and keep things fresh and fun. As we have seen from Disney, another gate, another neglected load of rides. Their parks have to much tired old rides or nothing to do or stuff you don't care for.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    But Disney reached the point where each new gate takes away attendance from their own parks. It just spreads around the same visitors, rather than drawing a new crowd. Universal has it much easier where people are spending less time at Disney in favor of more time at Universal.
    while this is true, spreading out visitors makes for a better overall experience. if there is less wait in lines and you can actually walk up to restaurant and get a table without booking months in advance, people enjoy their time more and are much more forgiving about minor issues. They have a great experience and then they recommend the park to a wider audience hopefully, increasing the overall attendance numbers. opening a new gate in my mind is totally a customer appreciation and satisfaction move so it will be interesting to see if they actually go through with it in the next 20 some odd years, we will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytom View Post
    I laugh when I read board critics applaud WDW because they don't refurbish their rides as often as DLR does because they "don't want to disappoint the fans by having a classic e-ticket closed during a visit". The reality, is that they don't have enough other E-tickets available because they've been too stingy to build them that if one of the classics is being refurbished people will complain because not enough in the park to fill the void (at least for the daily prices being charged).
    Wait, people have been saying that? That's a bit of backwards logic, isn't it? Yes, our rides are open 24/7, but the effects and showrooms are just crying to be refurbished and worked on.

Anyways, my opinion is that a 3rd Universal park could be a competitor to WDW. Universal has been stepping up, and I applaud the for that, mostly because I want them to show Disney what they're doing wrong when their profits start to fall. I don't want to go to WDW to see the same stuff I would see in Disneyland; I don't want to go to WDW if I am just going experience small gimmicks like FastPass+ or the fact that I am at WDW instead of DL; I don't want to go if their ride upkeep isn't up to standards, as what I've been hearing with ride maintenance and such. Universal is on a roll, and I can see them being a driving force in Florida. They got new lands and new rides up faster than what Disney has been doing, and they will have a hotel experience that is cheaper than a WDW hotel while still providing pretty much the same services, coupled with the fact that it will be a stones throw away from both Universal parks.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tielo View Post
    What if Universal Studios Orland would tear down it's studios and the backlot parking space. That would free up enough space for a third gate. But I thing Universal won't do that. There is enough space in the park where they can expand or improve and keep things fresh and fun.
    While they may not be doing big business, the studio facilities at Universal Studios Florida do still get used for production. I am not sure how you can say there is plenty of space as there has been very little expansion since the opening of Islands of Adventure. The majority of what has been new has replaced something else.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    while this is true, spreading out visitors makes for a better overall experience. if there is less wait in lines and you can actually walk up to restaurant and get a table without booking months in advance, people enjoy their time more and are much more forgiving about minor issues. They have a great experience and then they recommend the park to a wider audience hopefully, increasing the overall attendance numbers. opening a new gate in my mind is totally a customer appreciation and satisfaction move so it will be interesting to see if they actually go through with it in the next 20 some odd years, we will have to wait and see.
    This can better be achieved through increasing the capacity of existing parks (or Next Gen if you still believe Disney). There are huge infrastructure and staffing costs associated with each additional park.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    I think you are reading too much into this land acquisition. The property at Wet and Wild is an O.K. size for a water park but much too small for an actual theme park, plus it is on the other side of the interstate from the rest of Universal.
    They didn't just buy WnW's property. They also bought a larger collection of lots across the street, where WnW's parking lot sits, as well as the former location of Skull Kingdom. There's enough land there for something large. Especially if they buy out any of the adjacent hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    While they may not be doing big business, the studio facilities at Universal Studios Florida do still get used for production. I am not sure how you can say there is plenty of space as there has been very little expansion since the opening of Islands of Adventure. The majority of what has been new has replaced something else.
    The production lot is indeed unfeasible for park expansion, but the Studios does have quite the large expansion pad on its north side. They just haven't used it (outside of HHN.)
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 08-15-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12