Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Maint. issues and cosmetic changes on MK Classics

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    It's not a logistics problem, it's a money problem. Having to appease the stock holders doesn't mean making the rides all run like they are suppose to. It means more money in their pockets. If you spending THEIR money to have "One on the back, one in the sack, and one on the rack" then they are going to be all over you about it.
    Let them.

Let the stock holders complain that the value of their shares aren't going up enough. Then kindly point out that they are still going up. Explain to them that offering the highest quality product is and will always be what makes a successful business. This business model not only made Disney the only media company with its own fan club (I never heard of the Paramount expo) but this same philosophy of uncompromising quality has also worked for other companies like Apple. Explain to them that the entire Disney empire was built on the philosophy of quality and attention to detail above all else. Tell them that this attention to making sure every detail is as perfect as it can be is what sets this company above all its competitors. This is the company they have chosen to invest in. One that will not compromise on quality in order to make a quick buck. One that greatly increased the cost of producing a short cartoon by adding sound when few features were doing the same. This is the company that built it's own school to study things like how fabric moved and what bubbles looked like when they popped to make the animated versions of these things look better. It would have been cheaper not to invest in that research and just draw these things how you think they move. It also would have been cheaper not to do it at all. This company isn't about doing things cheaper, it is about doing them better. It is about doing them so well that once they are done people wonder how they ever got along without them. The the philosophy of exceeding expectations always has been and will continue to be the guiding principle of everything the company does.

Then have your two backup animatronics ready to be switched out at a moments notice and have all your guests telling their friends that Walt Disney World blew them away and everything was beyond perfect. Watch what that does to share prices.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Senior Minion

^ An excellent post that explodes the excuse of "the shareholders make us do it" as justification for Disney's shortsighted management of its parks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Let them.

Let the stock holders complain that the value of their shares aren't going up enough. Then kindly point out that they are still going up. Explain to them that offering the highest quality product is and will always be what makes a successful business. This business model not only made Disney the only media company with its own fan club (I never heard of the Paramount expo) but this same philosophy of uncompromising quality has also worked for other companies like Apple. Explain to them that the entire Disney empire was built on the philosophy of quality and attention to detail above all else. Tell them that this attention to making sure every detail is as perfect as it can be is what sets this company above all its competitors. This is the company they have chosen to invest in. One that will not compromise on quality in order to make a quick buck. One that greatly increased the cost of producing a short cartoon by adding sound when few features were doing the same. This is the company that built it's own school to study things like how fabric moved and what bubbles looked like when they popped to make the animated versions of these things look better. It would have been cheaper not to invest in that research and just draw these things how you think they move. It also would have been cheaper not to do it at all. This company isn't about doing things cheaper, it is about doing them better. It is about doing them so well that once they are done people wonder how they ever got along without them. The the philosophy of exceeding expectations always has been and will continue to be the guiding principle of everything the company does.

Then have your two backup animatronics ready to be switched out at a moments notice and have all your guests telling their friends that Walt Disney World blew them away and everything was beyond perfect. Watch what that does to share prices.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Let them.

I agree 100%, but tell that to the share holders! Todays investor is all about money now. They don't care what "your going to do for them tomorrow" they only care about today. On top of that, they ARE making money even with the "poor" state the parks are in today. Why should "they" give up profits so that "tomorrow" looks better?

I agree 100%, but tell that to the share holders! Todays investor is all about money now. They don't care what "your going to do for them tomorrow" they only care about today. On top of that, they ARE making money even with the "poor" state the parks are in today. Why should "they" give up profits so that "tomorrow" looks better?
    I agree with this and the earlier posts. I haven't been to WDW for a while but my visit to DLP this year was the only time I've felt sad at Disney. The place was falling apart, prices were high and no one cared about bad show on the rides. For a company like Disney who built their company on Walt's philosophy of loyalty and long term returns this will impact the bottom line, maybe not now but down the line.

I'm a case in point not sure I'd go back to Florida, I think I'd rather remember the good times I had in the past than see what the money men have made WDW from what I read. Disney have lost my vacation money and if things continue to slide more people will vote with their feet and that will impact the bottom line. Of course by then the bankers and shareholders will have sold out and moved on to their next killing - sad, very sad.

• From the Garums

Investment is about money. If you're planning for retirement, or saving money for your kids to go to college, you want to put money into a company that will net you that 7% ROI or whatever. If you don't get it, and complain to your stock broker, he or she's going to look at what's failing, and where, and move that money. Not many investors are investing for the idea of owning a part of a company they love, and the way to get new investors is to show that you are beating that average return on investment. So, for the small investor, it doesn't pay to count on how important the show quality is. It's either Disney, or Paramount, or Chrysler, or Apple. Who's giving the most money back right now?

If you're a larger investor, let's say you own 2-3% of the company stock or something, that's when you're concerned with long term goals, company image, etc. It's a lot of effort to move that many millions of dollars. Unfortunately, we're looking at people less like Walt Disney and more like Mr. Potter from It's a Wonderful Life here. They also want big returns, and couldn't give a lick about what the average vacation experience is, as long as people keep coming back. They will crunch numbers and run reports to find out the MINIMUM output necessary to provide MAXIMUM profits. I don't know if anyone plays role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons, but there's a concept of a MIN/MAXer, a player who is so concerned with maximizing his or her character's skills and minimizing their deficits, who wants to win at all costs, that they forget they are supposed to be losing themselves in the immersion and having FUN. This is similar to the current Disney Management environment, and much of corporate America's top brass.

Those people are the ones instating the CEOs, the park Presidents, the CFO's, etc. They are the ones who are really shaping the park, and failing. It's kind of always going to be that way from here on out I think. Remember, for a long time it was Walt Disney himself running everything, then his hand-picked friends and confidants after he passed away. Then, those men aged and retired, and we saw Eisner go more and more corporate and less and less magical. Now, those men are all gone.

I think there are two ways this *might* change, but probably won't. Lassiter becomes head of TDC and takes a keen interest in the parks, or Universal makes significant headway into WDW's profits. Barring that, we've got to wait for Mickey to put on the hat and use magic to save our parks.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Lasseter (No I) loves the California parks. It will take more than him to care for Florida's parks. You need someone like me who knows every nut and bolt and nook and cranny to run Florida's massive property. As far as Universal, that is your best bet right now. Competition is good.
    -Bill

• From the Garums

Bill, you seem very knowledgeable about the inner workings of WDW. Are you a secret high-up at the property?

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Man, I think MK is in the Pressler/Cynthia era on steroids.

First Small World was having major audio problems. There was NO audio in the loading area except for the when the clock struck which made for a very creepy, boarding, unhappy boarding experience. Imagine going through the SW Façade and NOT hearing the iconic music. YEA. And the Finale room underscore (the big brass 60s music) was out ......AGAIN. So all that was playing was the childrens voices and adult chorus with NO backup instruments. CREEPY. Plus major dolls like the Goose Girl, Yodeler were missing and half the Brazilian children on that carousel mechanism.

Pirates. OMG. I cannot believe no one has mentioned that the Yoho instrumental in the Grotto Scene has been replaced by that mermaid song in Pirates 4!!! A piece of CLASSIC Disney music replaced by a piece that has NOTHING to do with said attraction. INSULTING. The Auctioneer looked awful. No torso movement, shut eyes, mouth not moving, just hands moving. AWFUL. And the Yoho singing pirates has some work done. The mandolin playing pirate now looks like he's pulling off a lame Jack Sparrow rip off look, the pudgy pirate now has an eyepatch and dingier clothing.

MSEP. WOW. They are REALLY running this into the ground. They let the 11pm parade go out with Snow White and ONE Dwarf, NO Diamond Mine, NO Hook or Smee in boat. Smee was on Hooks ship and Pan was fighting.....HIMSELF! to match the blades clasing audio! LAME. 2nd hald of P.I. unit was missing.

This park has TRULY become the Disney park version of Norma Desmond in the 3rd act of Sunset Blvd.
    Based on your opinion, it doesn't sound like the Magic kingdom park is ready for it's close up.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The majority of Disney stock is owned by mutual funds. These companies don't care what Disney does as long as the value of the shares go up. They will vote for whoever they think will make that happen. That means you can't listen to them. You can't run an entertainment business to please share holders, you have to run it to please customers because unlike running the Coca-Cola company where the product stays more or less the same and you can just keep selling it forever, entertainment has to constantly sell new products to the public or keep giving them reasons to return to the theme parks. People are only going to buy the Avengers blu-ray once. Eventually they're going to have to make another movie.

Theme parks are also not like movies. Once a film is in the can, the majority of the investment is over. You no longer have to pay the crew or maintain the sets. At a park however, maintenance is a big chunk of your investment and it is the difference between looking like a park that is doing well and looking like a park that has seen better days. Even if your park is financially doing better than ever, if it looks like it's struggling to get by, your guests will think it is. They don't look at your profit sheets, but they do look at your broken animatronics. This can be the difference between your attractions looking like summer blockbusters or Sy-Fy original movies.

You can't run entertainment businesses with the idea of making a lot of money. You have to run them with the idea of making great entertainment. If you do that well, the money will come.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

OK, if the money from Disney is down 20% are they going to take that money out of the shareholders cut, or out of someplace else like oh I don't know ... maintenance?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by RexSaucy View Post
    Bill, you seem very knowledgeable about the inner workings of WDW. Are you a secret high-up at the property?
    If I was a secret high-up, do you really think I'd be posting here? Sure, I know execs that read Mice Chat, but I don't know any that would post without being in dire risk of loosing their jobs.

However, I am very knowledgable about the inner workings of WDW. And this topic in particular is of much importance to me, as I care a great deal about WDW's lack of upkeep. You could probably ask anyone who knows me in person, and they would be able to tell you that no one is as versed with the problems that WDW has as I am.

In fact, I'd be willing to say that the only ones who know more would be a select few who work in Imagineering in WDW in an underfunded and understaffed area known as show quality. The problem is that no one really listens to them, because even if a problem is documented, it doesn't get fixed until people really put a fuss up about it... and even then the operators of the parks... management... want the attractions as open as much as possible because there simply isn't enough capacity in the Florida parks to compensate for closed attractions. (To contrast, Disneyland Park in California has ample capacity versus the Magic Kingdom Park in Florida, with almost twice as many experiences as the Florida park. If a couple attractions are closed in Disneyland, it's not a big deal. If a couple attractions are closed in the Magic Kingdom, the park can't handle the crowds.) The management at WDW has neglected to expand the Magic Kingdom into a workable model with ample attractions that can allow for major closures of other attractions during the year.

In fact, the Magic Kingdom Park actually has LESS attractions than it did 20 years ago. Go figure that one out. (No, I'm not counting meet and greets as attractions, nor atmosphere entertainment.)

If you could all see the big picture of WDW, you'd throw up at how badly the place is being managed, and how out of touch everyone is with the bigger picture.

And by the way, NextGen isn't the worst thing in the world... the technology holds a lot of promise, but only if it is used the way it needs to be. And I worry about how they will actually use that technology, because quite frankly, I've seen many problems that no expert would make in rolling out such a huge technology. That shows me it's being rolled out by someone who isn't micromanaging the project and is letting younger folks make a lot of mistakes in the project.

How does all this tie back into maintenance? Well, NextGen is going to be used to gather a heck of a lot of data... in fact, enough data to use to decide maintenance budgets for the parks. And that is what makes me REALLY worried.
    -Bill

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

OK, if the money from Disney is down 20% are they going to take that money out of the shareholders cut, or out of someplace else like oh I don't know ... maintenance?
    Budgets don't really work this way.
    -Bill

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    If I was a secret high-up, do you really think I'd be posting here? Sure, I know execs that read Mice Chat, but I don't know any that would post without being in dire risk of loosing their jobs.

However, I am very knowledgable about the inner workings of WDW. And this topic in particular is of much importance to me, as I care a great deal about WDW's lack of upkeep. You could probably ask anyone who knows me in person, and they would be able to tell you that no one is as versed with the problems that WDW has as I am.

In fact, I'd be willing to say that the only ones who know more would be a select few who work in Imagineering in WDW in an underfunded and understaffed area known as show quality. The problem is that no one really listens to them, because even if a problem is documented, it doesn't get fixed until people really put a fuss up about it... and even then the operators of the parks... management... want the attractions as open as much as possible because there simply isn't enough capacity in the Florida parks to compensate for closed attractions. (To contrast, Disneyland Park in California has ample capacity versus the Magic Kingdom Park in Florida, with almost twice as many experiences as the Florida park. If a couple attractions are closed in Disneyland, it's not a big deal. If a couple attractions are closed in the Magic Kingdom, the park can't handle the crowds.) The management at WDW has neglected to expand the Magic Kingdom into a workable model with ample attractions that can allow for major closures of other attractions during the year.

In fact, the Magic Kingdom Park actually has LESS attractions than it did 20 years ago. Go figure that one out. (No, I'm not counting meet and greets as attractions, nor atmosphere entertainment.)

If you could all see the big picture of WDW, you'd throw up at how badly the place is being managed, and how out of touch everyone is with the bigger picture.

And by the way, NextGen isn't the worst thing in the world... the technology holds a lot of promise, but only if it is used the way it needs to be. And I worry about how they will actually use that technology, because quite frankly, I've seen many problems that no expert would make in rolling out such a huge technology. That shows me it's being rolled out by someone who isn't micromanaging the project and is letting younger folks make a lot of mistakes in the project.

How does all this tie back into maintenance? Well, NextGen is going to be used to gather a heck of a lot of data... in fact, enough data to use to decide maintenance budgets for the parks. And that is what makes me REALLY worried.
    All I can say to this is a very large, and very sad, "Bingo."

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Metro-Retro Historian

The philosophy has shifted from exceeding expectations to keeping complaints to a manageable level.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast