Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Suspended

Thumbs down Maint. issues and cosmetic changes on MK Classics

Man, I think MK is in the Pressler/Cynthia era on steroids.

First Small World was having major audio problems. There was NO audio in the loading area except for the when the clock struck which made for a very creepy, boarding, unhappy boarding experience. Imagine going through the SW Façade and NOT hearing the iconic music. YEA. And the Finale room underscore (the big brass 60s music) was out ......AGAIN. So all that was playing was the childrens voices and adult chorus with NO backup instruments. CREEPY. Plus major dolls like the Goose Girl, Yodeler were missing and half the Brazilian children on that carousel mechanism.

Pirates. OMG. I cannot believe no one has mentioned that the Yoho instrumental in the Grotto Scene has been replaced by that mermaid song in Pirates 4!!! A piece of CLASSIC Disney music replaced by a piece that has NOTHING to do with said attraction. INSULTING. The Auctioneer looked awful. No torso movement, shut eyes, mouth not moving, just hands moving. AWFUL. And the Yoho singing pirates has some work done. The mandolin playing pirate now looks like he's pulling off a lame Jack Sparrow rip off look, the pudgy pirate now has an eyepatch and dingier clothing.

MSEP. WOW. They are REALLY running this into the ground. They let the 11pm parade go out with Snow White and ONE Dwarf, NO Diamond Mine, NO Hook or Smee in boat. Smee was on Hooks ship and Pan was fighting.....HIMSELF! to match the blades clasing audio! LAME. 2nd hald of P.I. unit was missing.

This park has TRULY become the Disney park version of Norma Desmond in the 3rd act of Sunset Blvd.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Re: Maint. issues and cosmetic changes on MK Classics

wow! SORRY TO HEAR THIS, I did notice the yoho missing in the Grotto scene but it always seemed almost misplaced to me for some reason..

When we were down there 6 months ago, the attractions we were on had everything in good working order...my my my how fast things change
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

It sounds to me like you went on an off day. I just spent 3 months at Magic Kingdom, and MSEP was always fully working and fully cast. Must have had a ton of call outs and casting issues, sadly it happens.. But it is better to have a parade, then no parade due to call outs. Most people have never seen it before.. and unless you want to deal with the angry hordes when the parade is cancelled... I am pretty sure it was better going on with less of the cast then with no parade at all.

Pirates was changed when they added the mermaids... I really actually enjoyed the creepy essence in the caves from the new music. But to each his own, it was highly documented when they change occured.

No excuse for broken animatronics, most of them were working quite well when I was there.. but it's a hard technology to keep up with. For all we know all those things went down and broke just that day. I was very impressed in my 3 months there with how well maintained it was, after hearing all these horror stories on Mice Chat.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

it's a hard technology to keep up with
    Shouldn't be if you've been doing it for 40 years and have the World's Best Imagineering team on staff...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    Shouldn't be if you've been doing it for 40 years and have the World's Best Imagineering team on staff...
    I 100% agree.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I 100% agree.
    I just love how some people believe they can run, or now better than some of these big companies.

Just think of the logistics of doing repairs and upkeep. All has to be done at night while the park is closed. Doing it during the day would mean shutting the ride/show down (safety issues and so on) So now they MUST do this at night. That brings the issue of cost in pretty big as everyone is union workers. So now the pay has doubled for any work done. Then there is parts availablity, what do they have laying around for parts? It's not like you can run down to Home Depot and grab a few replacement parts.

Could they do better? I'm sure they could. Is it cost effective? I don't know, but as it is a publicly owned company this is going to be a VERY big factor in deciding this.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    I just love how some people believe they can run, or now better than some of these big companies.

Just think of the logistics of doing repairs and upkeep. All has to be done at night while the park is closed. Doing it during the day would mean shutting the ride/show down (safety issues and so on) So now they MUST do this at night. That brings the issue of cost in pretty big as everyone is union workers. So now the pay has doubled for any work done. Then there is parts availablity, what do they have laying around for parts? It's not like you can run down to Home Depot and grab a few replacement parts.

Could they do better? I'm sure they could. Is it cost effective? I don't know, but as it is a publicly owned company this is going to be a VERY big factor in deciding this.
    Now, now, common sense isn't allowed here....lol.....I talked to an owner of an amusement park once, and he was beefing about lights on a ride. Every night they change the burned out bulbs, shut them off, and come in the next day , turn them on, and other lights were out. ( they are switching to LED lights now) . If things bother you about maintenance, tell the management of the park. Whinning here does no good . Being "insulted " over the changing of a song, sounds childish. WDW has a lot that needs attention, and im sure they are aware of the problems, but if you think they arnt, call them ! Id rather see an attraction with one broken Ana., (as long as its temp., not like the Abdominal), than to visit the park and not experience the attraction at all. Said post is just one mans opinion and is no way a representation of Micechat.com or its affiliates.....lol

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post

The premium for third shift maintenance is $1.25 an hour. They make a point of not bringing people in on overtime.

As for parts, Disney used to keep many spare specialty parts around. Then they cleaned house and just dumped them if they haven't been used in the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Id rather see an attraction with one broken Ana., (as long as its temp., not like the Abdominal), than to visit the park and not experience the attraction at all.
    I have a feeling this is how it all started. "Well people won't notice one AA down. Oh we have two down now? That's not that big of a deal as long as it's not the central ones." Etc. Give an inch, take an ell.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

I could easily do better. The trick is that if you have a critical element required for The Show, you have three of them.

Think of it as "One on the back, one in the sack, and one on the rack" or something.

If it doesn't have to be laundred you can omit the one in the sack.

I could easily do better. The trick is that if you have a critical element required for The Show, you have three of them.

Think of it as "One on the back, one in the sack, and one on the rack" or something.

If it doesn't have to be laundred you can omit the one in the sack.

It's not a logistics problem, it's a money problem. Having to appease the stock holders doesn't mean making the rides all run like they are suppose to. It means more money in their pockets. If you spending THEIR money to have "One on the back, one in the sack, and one on the rack" then they are going to be all over you about it.

Wow, this was a bad day in the park for sure. I thought it was bad that the "new" Tink float was missing from MSEP the last time I watched it..you know, being the newest of all, one would think it would be in the best shape...
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Man, I think MK is in the Pressler/Cynthia era on steroids.

First Small World was having major audio problems. There was NO audio in the loading area except for the when the clock struck which made for a very creepy, boarding, unhappy boarding experience. Imagine going through the SW Façade and NOT hearing the iconic music. YEA. And the Finale room underscore (the big brass 60s music) was out ......AGAIN. So all that was playing was the childrens voices and adult chorus with NO backup instruments. CREEPY. Plus major dolls like the Goose Girl, Yodeler were missing and half the Brazilian children on that carousel mechanism.

Pirates. OMG. I cannot believe no one has mentioned that the Yoho instrumental in the Grotto Scene has been replaced by that mermaid song in Pirates 4!!! A piece of CLASSIC Disney music replaced by a piece that has NOTHING to do with said attraction. INSULTING. The Auctioneer looked awful. No torso movement, shut eyes, mouth not moving, just hands moving. AWFUL. And the Yoho singing pirates has some work done. The mandolin playing pirate now looks like he's pulling off a lame Jack Sparrow rip off look, the pudgy pirate now has an eyepatch and dingier clothing.

MSEP. WOW. They are REALLY running this into the ground. They let the 11pm parade go out with Snow White and ONE Dwarf, NO Diamond Mine, NO Hook or Smee in boat. Smee was on Hooks ship and Pan was fighting.....HIMSELF! to match the blades clasing audio! LAME. 2nd hald of P.I. unit was missing.

This park has TRULY become the Disney park version of Norma Desmond in the 3rd act of Sunset Blvd.
    I think you caught a rash of unfortunately events. Sometimes things happen in 3's, and sometimes they happen in multiple's of 3's. I was last on IASM about two or three weeks ago, didn't notice the missing music but WDW's load area is load and in the load station it is only BGM levels, not show levels, so I have always found it hard to hear the music in the load area when its packed in with guests. The clock's volume is at show levels so that will be heard. I did notice missing dolls you mentioned so yeah... whats up with that????

The change to the Grotto Scene.... um? Thats not a show issue. They change it. This has been well documented. I appreciate that you don't like the change, but insulting? Where is the insult? Changing a scene is either disappointing to some or exciting to others, but its not a break down, an error, or a reflection of poor upkept or break downs like most of the rest of your OP. The ride seem to be in good working order a couple of days ago. Splash Mt... not so much. Right out of the station, Brer Frog's mouth has almost NO movement. Just a hint of a slight "quiver" in the lower jaw when he talks. Several birds mouths did not move, but the rest of them seemed ok except for two in the "how do ya do" show scene that did not move at all. Laughing place did not have any leaping fountains jumping over the logs and none of the gophers popped up, or in the case of the one in the ceiling, popped down. But their voices were present. Vulture on the left had little movement and none in the face or mouth.

MSEP was fine the last two times I have seen, but there have seen Cindy's coach missing and in separate viewings, I have seen it where Pete's Dragon was missing. But clearly they were repaired and returned to the show, so.... they are a bit slow on repairing things but clearly they do. Overall I think MK is in pretty good shape right now, but yes, I can be better when all those issues add up.

• Suspended

I know that the Grotto scene changed, but not that they decided to toss out Yoho. It's the main musical there that ties the whole show just like GGG ties Mansion. How would it be if one of the GGG music cues was changed to a completely unrelated music score? Or a Small World show room was not playing Small World?? That's what I meant. It's why I hate the movie music playing in Bombardment Bay.

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    I know that the Grotto scene changed, but not that they decided to toss out Yoho. It's the main musical there that ties the whole show just like GGG ties Mansion. How would it be if one of the GGG music cues was changed to a completely unrelated music score? Or a Small World show room was not playing Small World?? That's what I meant. It's why I hate the movie music playing in Bombardment Bay.
    Honestly, I feel the same about them removing the skull that says "Dead men tell no tales."
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Minion

Yeah, the whole Pirates attraction, but especially the music, has become kind of a hodgepodge. It's not so much that the original music was objectively better, but it was all written to go together as one cohesive experience. It's like if you went to see West Side Story, and they'd stuck in songs from Show Boat and The Sound of Music every few minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast