Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Just splashing around...

Caribbean Beach vs. Coronado Springs?

Considering a November trip to WDW and wondering if there's much difference between Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs resorts. Anyone stayed at both and have a strong opinion one way or another? I've only ever stayed at Saratoga and Beach Club, but for this trip I won't be doing Deluxe, and don't think I want to go Value, either, so Caribbean or Coronado seem to be the two best options, and they're both offering good rates right now.

Thanks for your input!

• formerly very helpful

Re: Caribbean Beach vs. Coronado Springs?

Is been a long time since I've done Caribean Beach (1990). And 2006 for Coronado Springs. However, I remember preferring Caribean Beach. I definitely preferred the food court. But still, I don't think you can really go wrong with any Disney hotel.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I personally prefer Coronado Springs, it feels less busy, and feels more isolated. Caribbean beach suffers now from being super close to POP, AoA, and the Bonnet Creek Resorts. So you now see those large towers.

In the end they are comparable products, and it is just really personal preference.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• -

Iíve been to both recently. Coronado Springs this past March, and Caribbean Beach the year before. They both have their merits.

Caribbean Beach Coronado Springs
    Food Court Layout
    Pirate Rooms More Central Location
    Pirate Themed Pool Aztec Themed Pool

I think overall, I would do the Coronado Springs again.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Former Churro Jockey

Disney feels that the Coronado Springs is nicer. I took a travel agent trip to Walt Disney World a few years ago and the Disney Trainers took us around to each of the hotels, and they told us that the Coronado Springs was the nicest of the moderate resorts because it is the only one that has a convention center, and apparently convention hotel guests demand nicer facilities. Specifically, they said that the food court at Coronado Springs was better, and that the rooms were a little nicer as well. However, I will say that for me personally, I like the theme of the Caribbean Beach better, and even though I'm a grown-up (on the outside), I would want to stay in a Pirate Room at Caribbean Beach!!!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• formerly very helpful

If I remember correctly, Corronado Springs' food court is arranged in such a way that they include a gratuity with the bill. That is a turn off for some people. A cast member also told me that the food staff is contracted out there so they aren't actually Disney cat members. I don't know if this is true, but the only "attitude" issues we had with an employees were at Coronado Springs in the food court area.

Because of reviews ive seen on here and on other sights, my next on-property stay in Sept., im staying at Coronado Springs. Ive gone on youtube and looked at vlogs on it, and ive never stayed there, but from what ive seen or heard, im looking forward to it. Not that ive heard anything bad about C.B., ive just heard good things about C.S.

• Sasquatch

the problem with caribbean beach was the bus service. we were in one of the resorts that was either the first or last bus stop (depending which way you go around the bus loop) and sometimes that could add up to 20 minutes extra on the bus.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Corronado Springs' food court is arranged in such a way that they include a gratuity with the bill. That is a turn off for some people. A cast member also told me that the food staff is contracted out there so they aren't actually Disney cat members. I don't know if this is true, but the only "attitude" issues we had with an employees were at Coronado Springs in the food court area.
    Coronado Springs’s food court was more like a restaurant. You enter at reception and then are seated. Next, you went up to a central location and chose your food items from several different stations. When you got back to the table, there was a waiter or waitress to take your drink order and bring you refills or attend to other needs. When it came time to cash out, the waiter or waitress was the cashier.

Caribbean Beach, in contrast, was more like a mall food court. There were different locations, each with its own marquee where you selected your food. You then walked to the cashier and paid for the meal. Tables are self-seating and first come, first serve. Drinks are also dispensed from a self-service location. There is no wait staff to assist.

Of the two models, I much preferred the latter as it meant less people that I had to interact with and rely on during my visit.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Corronado Springs' food court is arranged in such a way that they include a gratuity with the bill.
    This used to be the case, but no longer (Thank the Maker!).

I've stayed in all the moderates, and the Coronado Springs is by far my favorite. I love the layout with all the rooms surrounding the 15-acre Lago Dorado lagoon. The convention center is off by itself, and the conventioneers don't bother the parkstormers too much. As others have said, you can't go wrong with a moderate. But of the 2 you mentioned, for me it's CS by a mile!

• secure all cargo

Coronado and Caribbean are the only two resorts I've ever stayed at, and I definitely prefer the Coronado. Caribbean was a great experience and if Coronado were not available for some reason I would definitely stay at the Caribbean, but it is older and someone else mentioned how you can see the other non-Disney resort just on the other side of the trees which for me is a big deal. There's no berm and you are seeing the outside world.

The Coronado just has a more upscale feel to it, because as others have mentioned it has the conventioners to satisfy so they've got to keep it up, yet we never felt like we were going to work while we were there. As for the food court, knowing we had to tip we just avoided it. One of the things we liked best about staying in the Casitas section of the Coronado is that the theme and colors are more subtle than other resorts, and in retrospect we realized that had a calming effect on us. Staying on property is better than off, and while we're in the parks we crave the overstimulation. But once we leave the parks we prefer winding down, you definitely don't get to do that on the bus ride home because you've still got the bright and brash Disney advertising, so it's nice to walk from the bus stop through the courtyards back to your room and just feel like, "oh, this is nice." In some ways the Casitas feels like any other good hotel in California and that's not for everyone, but we prefer that.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Just splashing around...

Thanks for the input, everyone! After some further research, I'm actually now looking at Port Orleans French Quarter... Any opinions how that compares to CB or CS? From what I've read, it sounds like it's a much more intimate property. Maybe better for a person who is potentially traveling solo?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ltlmrm8 View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone! After some further research, I'm actually now looking at Port Orleans French Quarter... Any opinions how that compares to CB or CS? From what I've read, it sounds like it's a much more intimate property. Maybe better for a person who is potentially traveling solo?
    IMO Port orleans is the best option out of all the moderates, provides the perfect ballence between the pros and cons of both carribean beach and coranado.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    Coronado and Caribbean are the only two resorts I've ever stayed at, and I definitely prefer the Coronado. Caribbean was a great experience and if Coronado were not available for some reason I would definitely stay at the Caribbean, but it is older and someone else mentioned how you can see the other non-Disney resort just on the other side of the trees which for me is a big deal. There's no berm and you are seeing the outside world.

The Coronado just has a more upscale feel to it, because as others have mentioned it has the conventioners to satisfy so they've got to keep it up, yet we never felt like we were going to work while we were there. As for the food court, knowing we had to tip we just avoided it. One of the things we liked best about staying in the Casitas section of the Coronado is that the theme and colors are more subtle than other resorts, and in retrospect we realized that had a calming effect on us. Staying on property is better than off, and while we're in the parks we crave the overstimulation. But once we leave the parks we prefer winding down, you definitely don't get to do that on the bus ride home because you've still got the bright and brash Disney advertising, so it's nice to walk from the bus stop through the courtyards back to your room and just feel like, "oh, this is nice." In some ways the Casitas feels like any other good hotel in California and that's not for everyone, but we prefer that.
    Honestly, I've gotten that "wind down" feel from each of the moderate resorts that I've stayed at. The only Disney hotels where I found that difficult was the All Stars, since their motif is definitely so in your face.

Much of my preferring Carribean Beach, I know has to do with my personal preference for the theme. It may have helped that from my room you could see Spaceship Earth from Epcot. I really loved that.

the fact that, as DanYoung pointed out, you no longer are forced to tip for the food court would improve my experience at Coronado Springs.

•   
    • Seasick

I've stayed at Coronado and Port Orleans French Quarter.

I liked the atmosphere at Coronado a bit better. It was nice walking around the lake, sitting in a hammock, and the pool was nicer. POFQ felt a bit touristy, with some of its' over the top decor.

Sometimes, POFQ shares busses with Riverside, so you might board a bus at your hotel, and then make four more stops at Riverside. This tends to happen during non-peak hours. At Coronado, buses make four stops around the resort, but you aren't sharing with another hotel. This is an advantage of Coronado.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast