Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avatar

• film975

Re: Avatar

I thought it was kind of lame when Imagineers said in their D23 Expo pavilion that they recently got back from a Pandora expedition. I really don't think people care that much about Avatar anymore. This theme park deal with James Cameron was just a knee-jerk reaction on Disney's part when they lost Harry Potter to Universal. That's why Avatar seems like a very odd fit for Disney. They have so many film properities of their own that they can draw inspiration from. Even without Marvel and Star Wars. Or way better... they could try something original.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I thought it was kind of lame when Imagineers said in their D23 Expo pavilion that they recently got back from a Pandora expedition. I really don't think people care that much about Avatar anymore. This theme park deal with James Cameron was just a knee-jerk reaction on Disney's part when they lost Harry Potter to Universal. That's why Avatar seems like a very odd fit for Disney. They have so many film properities of their own that they can draw inspiration from. Even without Marvel and Star Wars. Or way better... they could try something original.
    exactly the film already wasn't up to snuff to begin with, now you put a 7 year gap between the releases of the two films? its totally out of peoples minds, hell it was out of most minds by 2010 lol. I mean they started advertising this movie just after the Beijing Olympics, thats how long its been.

I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but I'm really excited for Pandora! The D23 reports I heard seemed to emphasize the glowing plants...I think Disney is going to use this to make Animal Kingdom a "full day" park that stays open after dark -- something that is very much needed. I end up watching Avatar every time I come across it on TV. Is it one of my all-time favorite movies? No. But Cars is probably one of my least favorite Pixar movies, and I LOVE Carsland.

Back to the original point, and not making this another Avatar argument thread - based on its presence at D23, I think Avatar is very much still happening.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

NextGen may not have much to bear specifically on the AVATAR project, but the massive spending and expectation that this will continue is causing hesitancy in approval of other projects for Walt Disney World.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    ....the film already wasn't up to snuff to begin with....
    Really? I'm not sure what your standards are, but Avatar not only won 3 Academy Awards, but it broke all sales records on its Blu-ray release and remains the top selling Blu-ray of all time.

As to the new addition, for me it's not so much about the theme of the area as it is how well it's executed. I don't think there's anything wrong with the California theme for DCA. But the execution of that theme was cheap and tacky, and has cost the company billions both in bad press and in the cost to do it right the second time. If they do Avatar right, it'll be incredible.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Is it one of my all-time favorite movies? No. But Cars is probably one of my least favorite Pixar movies, and I LOVE Carsland.
    I totally agree. An attraction's popularity is not necesscarily directly related to the popularity of the movie it's based on. I suspect most people who love Mr. Toad's Wild Ride rarely, if ever, watch the movie it's based on.

Avatar may not seem as popular or Star Wars, or seem like it's a big part of our pop culture consciousness at the moment, but it is a popular movie that people enjoyed. James Cameron knows how to entertain people, and I suspect Avatarland will do so.

The question is, will Avatar translate to a good theme park experience? As you said, Cars certainly did, and that movie tends to be at the bottom of most people's lists when ranking the Pixar franchises. Personally, I agree with the ranking while still thinking it's a good movie. The "worst" Pixar movie is still better than most movies out there.

I don't think Disney would have done Avatarland had they known they would soon own Star Wars, but they have it and could do big things with it. Of course, considering how long they're taking to build the Snow White coaster, I wonder if I'll even live to see it?
    Last edited by BC_DisneyGeek; 08-29-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Avatar is coming and its going to be a big and detailed expansion if plans stay on track. The reason we have not heard much about it falls mostly on James Cameron and his plans for the franchise. There is rumors that WDI might be able to release a concept drawing around October with further detail and information sometime in the spring of next year.

Seems like everything is being preplaned to roll out in stages and coincide with what looks like three more movies as well as book releases of the Avatar Franchise that Cameron is putting together.

The original press release two years ago was mainly to let people know that James was working with Disney but at that time everything was mostly blue sky ideas.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Really? I'm not sure what your standards are, but Avatar not only won 3 Academy Awards, but it broke all sales records on its Blu-ray release and remains the top selling Blu-ray of all time.

As to the new addition, for me it's not so much about the theme of the area as it is how well it's executed. I don't think there's anything wrong with the California theme for DCA. But the execution of that theme was cheap and tacky, and has cost the company billions both in bad press and in the cost to do it right the second time. If they do Avatar right, it'll be incredible.
    lol i think neither of us want to start this all over again, however to sum up my feelings on the subject very briefly; special effects are a novelty, not the makings of a long term sustained, beloved film franchise. the qualities a film series like that has are basically everything avatar lacks, a quality story, told well, executed phenomenally by great actors.

while i agree that anything done the "right" way by imagineering will honestly be all I care bout at the end of the day, the simple fact that avatar does not fit in this park though just bothers me to no end. I'll look past that if done correctly but I just have a sinking feeling that it will not happen and this issue of improper location will only add to the wreckage.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    ...while i agree that anything done the "right" way by imagineering will honestly be all I care bout at the end of the day, the simple fact that avatar does not fit in this park though just bothers me to no end. I'll look past that if done correctly but I just have a sinking feeling that it will not happen and this issue of improper location will only add to the wreckage.
    Well said. The fact is that Disney did a Rent-A-Franchise deal with the most budget-busting, deadline-blowing, my-way-or-the-highway ego in the business, based on a movie that generated no merch, music or other ancillary business, from which no one remembers the main characters' names, and which has at best a tenuous connection to the themes of Disney Animal Kingdom.

Methinks the Bob & Tom Show are going have a lot of 'splainin' to do to the Board of Directors when the dust settles on this one.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Well said. The fact is that Disney did a Rent-A-Franchise deal with the most budget-busting, deadline-blowing, my-way-or-the-highway ego in the business, based on a movie that generated no merch, music or other ancillary business, from which no one remembers the main characters' names, and which has at best a tenuous connection to the themes of Disney Animal Kingdom.

Methinks the Bob & Tom Show are going have a lot of 'splainin' to do to the Board of Directors when the dust settles on this one.
    exactly, we think very much alike on this issue Wiggins. if Disney really wanted a "potter-swatter" as many people suspect this is, (would love to hear your thoughts on this) the first thing that comes to my mind would be a two headed expansion to DHS and AK. DHS would receive Lucasland with Star wars moving forward as many expect, combined with a better representation of the indiana jones franchise, even if its just a clone of DL's attraction, and a little something for American Graffiti. for AK throw in Australia between Africa and Asia, joining conservation station to the rest of the park and removing the dumb railway attraction. this combined with a north america land that is kidcentric (essentially a much better done version of camp minnie mickey with actual animals) and thats all you would need in AK. this would at least match if not surpass what potter was done with well executed work in both areas. adding tolken to the mix at DHS with a muppets mini-land instead of carsland on top of this would blow anything universal has done thus far out of the water and set universal right back in its place IMO.

one can dream i suppose but tolken/Lucasfilms/expanded muppets alone forget about AK> potter/transformers/simpsons any day of the week. as of right now: avatar/starwars/carsland is without a doubt < potter/transformers/simpsons

I think they should model it after the Indiana Jones ride.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl1990 View Post
    I think they should model it after the Indiana Jones ride.
    Disney's Animal Kingdom already has a copy of the Indiana Jones Adventure ride system and track layout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12