Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatar

• WDI Future Show Writer

“Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

So they seemed to confirm at the Expo via Joe Rhode that Avatar Land is still a go. Anyone heard otherwise? I apologize if this has been brought up before. I had heard before that they were not going through with it after all.
    Kathy Mangum: "If you show that you want to try, people will want to work with you" #D23Expo

Joe Rodhe: To be an Imagineer, "you have to be the kind of person who wants to share." #D23Expo

• Heavy Breather

Re: Avatar

Unless they say otherwise, it's still a go. When it's coming, that's another story.

• WDI Future Show Writer

Thanks. I hear it'll take over Camp Minnie-Mickey. I'm curious to see how it goes.
    Kathy Mangum: "If you show that you want to try, people will want to work with you" #D23Expo

Joe Rodhe: To be an Imagineer, "you have to be the kind of person who wants to share." #D23Expo

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danlb_2000 View Post
    Yes, it's supposed to be going in the Camp Minnie-Mickey area. They are currently in the process of building the new Festival of the Lion King theatre in the Africa section so they can close the one in CMM. The new theatre is supposed to be open early 2014.

I have also heard rumors that the start of actual construction on Avatar has been pushed back due to the cost overruns from the Next-Gen project.
    that was the excuse for paradise pier getting pushed back as well. we all know how that ended up...

• WDI Future Show Writer

A paradise pier for Florida or ours? Can you elaborate?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wdifuture89 View Post
    A paradise pier for Florida or ours? Can you elaborate?
    sorry hyperion warf, i always get the two mixed up, original concept for DTD. pushed back due to "budget restrictions", ended up just being a stalling technique to change the entire concept.

• WDI Future Show Writer

But now they have Disney Springs right? Or is that what you were implying? I'm from Cali, so the Florida stuff is newer to me. ^_^

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by wdifuture89 View Post
    But now they have Disney Springs right? Or is that what you were implying? I'm from Cali, so the Florida stuff is newer to me. ^_^
    Yes they are planning Disney Springs.

Plans of mice and men can change. Next Gen costs are merely a scape goat in this case. No fact that Next Gen is causing delays, nor that Avatar is running late.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Yes they are planning Disney Springs.

Plans of mice and men can change. Next Gen costs are merely a scape goat in this case. No fact that Next Gen is causing delays, nor that Avatar is running late.

yeah, I don't think next gen had anything to do with the DTD revamp #2, aka from Wharf to Springs. When they stopped construction on Wharf, they said it was because during the land demolition phase they said they found some unique attributes about the land that made them want to go and revisit the plans. They couldn't say just yet what they we're, but they were excited to share the details with us "soon".

I took that with a grain a salt. When Tom announce Springs, there was as anticipated, no mention of the "unique attribute" only and acknowledgment that Wharf fell short in some areas and needed to be revisited. I believe that is closer to the truth. There was no next gen related budget delay. If fact it is clear that Springs is a MUCH more extensive and expensive project then Wharf was ever going to be. I think Tom genuinely just though they could do better, perhaps they had to wait to get approval for a larger budget. Just my guess but either way, clearly they did. Even with out the garages, which is technically not on Disney's dime, Springs is much more then Wharf.

Y'know, I don't think the whole Avatar thing is a great idea (actually, I don't even understand why Disney is deciding to focus on that instead of on things like their own movies) but I will say: If it's going to be done, it should be done at Animal Kingdom. Anywhere else and it will just look silly.

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

• WDI Future Show Writer

Yeah, I saw the interview with Kathy Mangum about Disney Springs, I was just curious if thats what he meant. Is Next Gen the queue? Or what was that again?

And swampymarsh, are you THE Swampy Marsh? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    sorry hyperion warf, i always get the two mixed up, original concept for DTD. pushed back due to "budget restrictions", ended up just being a stalling technique to change the entire concept.
    Yup. I think Avatar is getting the Disney version of japanese inspection, just like Hyperion Wharf.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I have a tangentially related question for the people that attended D23. How many Avatar cosplayers did you see?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Next month (September 20th, to be exact) will mark the two year anniversary of the announcement that " ... Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide is joining forces with visionary filmmaker James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the world of AVATAR to life at Disney parks."

And we know nothing yet!!
    Need to know something, models, drawings, images, ... something

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I have a tangentially related question for the people that attended D23. How many Avatar cosplayers did you see?
    I'm probably not the best to ask, because I'm not way into Avatar or costumes, so they weren't necessarily catching my eye. Also the D23 Expo is not like Comic Con where you see more dress up. The costumes I noticed were princesses and Marvel. So if this is a nobody cares about Avatar why build it question, the same may apply to Star Wars.

They did have the Imagineering Desk for Avatar set up.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast