Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do Disney seasonal decorations go up too early?

Hey everyone!

After reading MiceChat updates regularly for over the past years, in updates like today's I've noticed that as of today, August the 30th, Halloween decorations are already up in the Magic Kingdom.

My first visit to the Magic Kingdom was during the first 15 days of September of 1997, and there was not a single Halloween decoration in sight. Actually, we would have thought it was ridiculous to get ahead of a holiday by more than two months!

Since when did this trend begin? Do you think that Disney gets way too ahead of time with the Holidays? Do you think that maybe they should just use the strict holiday month for decorating their parks?

Re: Do Disney seasonal decorations go up too early?

YES, I wholeheartedly feel that they start each holiday's decorations way too early. The example of Halloween right now is a perfect one... it's still August! It's summer! If it were up to me, I wouldn't bust out all the Halloween stuff till October 1st. It's like when stores start selling Christmas stuff as soon as Halloween is over. Ridiculous! Two months ahead of a holiday is far too soon and it ruins a little bit of that special feeling you get for the particular holiday.

I feel that November 25th would be an acceptable day for the Christmas decorations to go up, and September 25th for Halloween.... but August 30th I am still thinking of sand castles and kites... not falling leaves, pumpkins and ghosts... I really believe it is a tad ridiculous.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well Halloween has become a whole season at theme parks. So I kind of forgive them for it since Christmas goes up November 5th
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Well Halloween has become a whole season at theme parks. So I kind of forgive them for it since Christmas goes up November 5th
    It really is a big season for many parks and they make lots of their profit from that short period. In ways it keeps parks going year round instead of summer only.

The seasons are too long for me, but that is probably because I hit the parks often(DLR) where as for other guests I bet it's welcome as they get something special during their rare trips. If the season were confined to a week or two, I may be more tired of the regular park and wish there was more special time.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

ORDDU: Yes, indeed, the seasonal decorations go up way too quickly--such as Christmas in early November and Halloween in September.

ORWEN: We understand why they do this. But that doesn't mean we like it.

ORGOCH: Got money?

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    august 30th i am still thinking of sand castles and kites... Not falling leaves, pumpkins and ghosts... I really believe it is a tad ridiculous.
    exactly.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    but August 30th I am still thinking of sand castles and kites... not falling leaves, pumpkins and ghosts... I really believe it is a tad ridiculous.
    A good deal of my friends are already thinking of Halloween as early as July. It's so hot, humid and rainy here in Florida during summer that we're ready for it to start cooling off and better weather (i.e. less rain, more blue sky, less humidity). Yesterday in my neck of the woods it was 91 with a heat index of 103! Out west that's not that bad but factor in the icky Florida humidity and... YUCK! I only go outside when I absolutely HAVE to.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I agree while still big business and the like couldn't they start with Halloween decor at the beginning of Oktoberfest? Realistically Halloween and Thanksgiving are both harvest festivals so I think they should start right around the time that Harvest starts...

And please please please stop with the Christmas decor before Thanksgiving!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

It makes me mad enough at the local mall, and it takes a lot of the magic away from Disney parks... does anybody know if in Japan is the same? I would think that there they go up even earlier

I agree, although I guess if people are going to the Halloween and Christmas parties way back in September and November, I guess we can't blame Disney for doing it. I don't get to the park very often - once every year or two. You might think I would enjoy something special, but to the contrary, I feel like I have missed out on the genuine Disney experience if there is too much changed for the season. For example, I took one short trip in October, and our only budgeted time for the MK was during the Halloween party. I like a lot of the aspects of that party, but I did not like how Main Street had "spooky lighting" instead of the usual bulbs lining all the buildings. Main Street at night is one of my very favorite park experiences, but on that trip, it wasn't the same. Lesson learned!

I personally loathe Christmas and I will NEVER visit the parks at Christmastime. Unfortunately, at WDW, "Christmastime" is two whole months of the year! So if I want to avoid the biggest crowds (spring break, summer, holidays) hottest weather, AND Christmas, I'm pretty much confined to January, February, September and October.

I think the decorations go up early for many reasons. The parks operate in seasons and as the kids go back to school, the fall season officially starts. Also, adding decorations early allows more "Annual" travelers to see the decorations. Also, it takes time to decorate. This is especially true for the Christmas decorations.

I think the biggest reason is to widen the window of opportunity for their guests.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

It's so simple.

June - End of School

July - 4th

August - Summer

September - Back to School

October - Halloween

November - Thanksgiving

December - Christmas

------

Just like the bulletin boards in school.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The earlier the Halloween decorations go up in the Magic Kingdom, the more dates they can have for their Halloween Parties. It's a simple matter of making money.

• Minion

ORGOCh: Yup, that's why them dang goomers does it, Barbarann, ducklin'. Take taday, fer instance. Me an' my two looney sisters swooped inta the Tragic kingdom on September first and what did we see? All a Pain Street USA was decked out with Halloween stuff. Never mind that it was Labor Day weekend--when we're s'posed ta be thinkin' 'bout babies bein' born!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast