Coronado Springs quick service dining?

Hello there - I have heard great things about the Coronado Springs resort, but I have also heard that there are some eccentricities due to the fact that it caters to conventions. I know their "quick service" food court had hosts and that gratuities were expected there...but I have heard this has recently been changed. Has anyone stayed there in the last year or so who could describe how Coronado operates compared to other Moderate resorts?

Re: Coronado Springs quick service dining?

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Hello there - I have heard great things about the Coronado Springs resort, but I have also heard that there are some eccentricities due to the fact that it caters to conventions. I know their "quick service" food court had hosts and that gratuities were expected there...but I have heard this has recently been changed. Has anyone stayed there in the last year or so who could describe how Coronado operates compared to other Moderate resorts?
    We stayed there back in June. It is a bit funky. They do have a quick grab and go place with very limited hot food and also have a small selection of bakery along with a cold case of items but they also have that mini food court area which we did not try as it looked too confusing. Most people who have reviewed it did not like it. The resort and rooms were some of the best. Do not let this food court fiasco deter you. A quiet resort especially if you area dults.

Thanks, Robbguy! That is pretty much what I have heard...that the rooms and pool areas are the best of all the moderate hotels, but that the food court is, as you put it, a "fiasco"

does anyone know how the food court works? I like to have a hot breakfast at the hotel, and I'll often return for a break in the middle of the day and have lunch there, too, to avoid the lunchtime crowds at the park restaurants. So I would definitely want to use the food court there quite a bit, but I'd like to have more of an idea of what I'm in for...

• Seasick

The food court is fine. You are seated first, then you choose a meal from one of many different options, and you pay when you leave. I'm not sure why anyone would have any major issues with this, let alone exaggerate it as a fiasco.

Pepper Market Food Court Menu - Coronado Springs
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    The food court is fine. You are seated first, then you choose a meal from one of many different options, and you pay when you leave. I'm not sure why anyone would have any major issues with this, let alone exaggerate it as a fiasco.

Pepper Market Food Court Menu - Coronado Springs
    Well, it *does* work opposite to every other "Food Court" concept where -- well, I don't really have to explain how all the other "Food Courts" on the planet work, do I? This is more like a Jewish Deli in New York, where you enter, tip the counterman, get your order assembled while the counterman marks up your ticket. You make your way to the cashier, and they ring up your ticket and you're out of there -- except it's not.

Therefore, it starts out being something outside a lot of people's comfort zones. Going outside people's comfort zones is a risky proposition in the best of situations.

That said, the menu looks good considering that it's Disney Food Service.
    Last edited by mikelieman; 09-01-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Yes, that is the confusing part...when and how much does one tip a "counter man"? Is there a person just standing at a podium who shows you to your seat, and you are just supposed to know to hand him or her some money? Do you leave a tip on the table at the end of the meal? Not only does this sound different from any other Disney food service, but it sounds different from any other restaurant I've ever been to! Why is it like that?!

It's not really a big deal, I am just a very conscientious tipper, and I would never want to accidentally fail to tip a server just because I don't understand how a place works.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I believe a 10% gratuity is automatically added to your bill. I don't know if that has changed or not, but it was the way it used to be.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• DMTNT

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I did not find Peppers Market confusing at all and the kids loved it. The hostess will seat you at a table. A server will take your drink order for you. You are given an order card for each person in your party. You take your card up to the station where you want to get your food and they will stamp the card. You then get your food and go back to your table. Your server will refill your drinks, etc and when you are done the server takes your cards and brings back your bill. You pay the server and your done.

As far as tipping, I tipped as I do if I go to a buffet.

We ate dinner there one night and breakfast every day.
    Last edited by DsnyRnr; 09-03-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks, dsnyfn -- finally, a clear explanation! Sounds like no big deal... maybe just a tiny bit more expensive than the quick service dining at the other resorts.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

You don't have to tip the individual food station CMs - just tip when you pay the bill. And I can also confirm that they no longer add in the automatic tip, which is a huge improvement.

As to this being a convention hotel, the conventioneers have their own section, and for the most part don't bother the park stormers at all. It's by far my favorite of the moderates!