Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Magic+

• formerly very helpful

Re: My Magic+

It may be just me, but I go on vacation to get away from keeping tight schedules and pre
    booking my entire day.

​Even when not on vacation formally, this. I don't want to schedule my down-time....

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    It may be just me, but I go on vacation to get away from keeping tight schedules and pre
    booking my entire day.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

booking my entire day.
    I totally agree with you. I don't mind planning out a meal or two but when it comes to rides I just pick a spot and get on and off the first and next ones I see. I might not want to ride space mountain on a tues at 10 o'clock cause I might change my mind and be in a different park. It infuriates me.

booking my entire day.
    You people amaze me! The planning of your vacation "down to the minute" is an OPTION with this system. You don't HAVE to use it. You can still get your fastpasses at the rides, you can still walk up to and get in line for any ride at any time, and you can still "try" to walk up to a restaurant and get in.

I just got back last night from a wonderful week at WDW and and the new readers make things much easier, so easy I can see many people spending much more on vacation, which is what Disney is shooting for any way.

The system is there giving you options, not forcing you into something. You don't want to use the options, don't, it's as easy as that.

"Plans for its debut in Anaheim have already been completely cancelled."

disneylandfan95, you are mistaken. TWDC did not spend over $2B on this program to limit it to one resort. It WILL be implemented at DLR, with some modifications.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    You people amaze me! The planning of your vacation "down to the minute" is an OPTION with this system. You don't HAVE to use it. You can still get your fastpasses at the rides, you can still walk up to and get in line for any ride at any time, and you can still "try" to walk up to a restaurant and get in.

I just got back last night from a wonderful week at WDW and and the new readers make things much easier, so easy I can see many people spending much more on vacation, which is what Disney is shooting for any way.

The system is there giving you options, not forcing you into something. You don't want to use the options, don't, it's as easy as that.
    Seriously, my concern is how will this impact the guests who choose not to utilize it? Will it be that necessary to even get dining reservations for EVERY meal days or weeks ahead of time? Will standby lines become outrageous as a result? I honestly don't know. If none of these things happen, then I have no problem, since I don't have to use it. But I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a concern.

• Senior Minion

Seriously, my concern is how will this impact the guests who choose not to utilize it? Will it be that necessary to even get dining reservations for EVERY meal days or weeks ahead of time? Will standby lines become outrageous as a result? I honestly don't know. If none of these things happen, then I have no problem, since I don't have to use it. But I'd be lying if I said this wasn't a concern.
    Exactly right. The idea that MM+ is purely optional -- that it won't negatively impact those who don't use it -- is a myth. The more people use it, the more those who don't use it will be pressured to join up. There is only so much capacity for the rides, meals and other facilities. The more people who use MM+ to reserve those facilities for themselves, the longer those who don't have MM+ will have to wait.

Ultimately there will be so many MM+ users that the facilities will approach saturation, at which point Disney will establish some sort of "tiered MM+" -- where MM+ users who pay an additional premium fee get first choice of reservations, while those who "opt" not to pay have to wait.

Remember, MM+ doesn't give the customers any new rides, restaurants or facilities. It just gives Disney the ability to more efficiently pack customers into those facilities. It gives Disney the ability to make more money from more customers WITHOUT expanding its facilities.

Brilliant, eh? That's what happens when you give the keys to Walt's Magic Kingdom to a cadre of Chief Financial Officers and Strategic Planners, all of whom cut their teeth under Michael Eisner.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Dining reservations already have to be made far in advance -- My Magic+ isn't changing anything there. It may encourage more people to use the dining program, which could lead to some more people eating at table service restaurants more often, but I doubt My Magic+ will make anyone blind to the fact that the dining plan isn't a very good deal, value wise.

As far as the Fastpass+ forcing people into a more regimented schedule -- it's not like you HAVE to show up for the reserved Fastpass. If you really want to change your plans, fine! The stand-by lines still exist, and if you really like to just wander from ride to ride, my guess is you aren't using all that many regular Fastpasses now, because even those require planning a few hours in advance...

Also, you don't have to plot out the whole day - you could reserve your three passes all in the morning, or all in the evening, and then leave the rest of your day open.

This system is going to allow Disney to maximize the Fastpass system and track crowd patterns so that everything will run much more efficiently. A lot of people seem to think it is going to increase stand-by wait times -- why would that be the case?

I do agree that it will be very tempting for Disney to eventually create a tiered system where you can pay for more Fastpasses, which I would not like to see...at least if this did happen, the Magic Bands would make it sort of invisible. It wouldn't be like at other parks where people with an express pass have a special card or use a separate line, which then makes everyone in the regular line feel like a chump. At Disney, if you saw someone go thru the Fastpass line, you'd have no idea whether they were using one of 3 regular passes, or one of an unlimited number of passes...

• You have much to learn...

The Fastpass + will ruin the average theme park guest wait times for the attractions, the same way the Dining Plan and advance priority seating has made it almost impossible for the average person to walk up and try to get a seat at any Disney restaurant.

Yes, the resort guests who have the opportunity to use the magic bands don't have to stick to their chosen schedule, but there will be the ones who will book the max number of fastpasses they can, thereby lowering the availability of the fastpass a non magic band guest can get & will force those who don't have the option of a magic band much longer ride wait times.

With several thousand magic bands in use on a daily basis, how can those who don't have one be able to have the same experience as the ones who do??

It's already almost impossible to get a reservation months in advance at the most popular dining spots like the ones in Cinderella's castle- those are gone within minutes of when the reservation windows open online. So how are people going to secure fastpass reservations to the most popular attractions when I'm sure thousands of people will be online trying to book their fastpasses when the fastpass window opens a few months in advance??

I don't know or care to know the ratio of resort guests to other day guests in the parks, but I'm sure there are thousands of them every day & I'm sure many of them will be more than pissed off when they find out that they may not be able to go on as many of the attractions, and may be waiting longer than usual than those happy magic banders who booked up the maximum number of fastpasses they can.

I just believe it is going to be a nightmare for Disney in the long run who will have yet even more complaints and pissed off guests than they have now.

Disney had better expand their guest services staff when this system goes fully in effect- I know they will need it.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    A lot of people seem to think it is going to increase stand-by wait times -- why would that be the case?
    Because fastpass already increases standby wait times. How would more fastpasses make this any better?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• film975

I find it somewhat amusing that people think that MyMagic+ is gonna be mandatory once it is implemented. Which it will not be. It's not like the Stand-by lines are going anywhere.

• Inappropriate

You know, the fastpass+ times you schedule months in advance aren't set in stone, right? You can change them around all the way up to your first scheduled time of that day. You either do this on your smart phone app, or at the kiosks if you don't have a smart phone. Spontaneity isn't completely dead. Also, I'm looking forward to how this will change my typical touring schedule. No longer will I need to be there are rope drop to get a decent time for Toy Story Mania. I can schedule all three fastpasses for the evening and sleep in in the mornings and take my time around the parks.

As far as being limited to three, it's not often I even use three fastpasses a day. Hell, most of the time if I play the cards right, I don't even use 2. And outside Magic Kingdom, you're really stretching to find a third option. The system isn't the anti-christ of theme parks like many are making it out to be. And right now is just a testing phase. Testing phases are there to work out the kinks and fix things as they go along. It's just a test for now. I'm sure the whole system will be smoother when it fully rolls out. A company doesn't spend $1billion+ for a crap system. They'll make sure it works. And i'm done here.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I find it somewhat amusing that people think that MyMagic+ is gonna be mandatory once it is implemented. Which it will not be.
    It won't be "officially" mandatory. But the more people who utilize it, the more those who don't will be pressured to do so -- or suffer endless standby status as virtual second-class customers.

The key here is that WDW is not adding rides, restaurants or shops for the MyMagic+ users. It's just giving the MM+ folks first crack at what's there. The more MM+ users who reserve WDW's resources for themselves, the more non-MM+ users will be pushed to the back to the line... until eventually there's no room for anyone but MM+ users.

At which point Disney will roll out MM++ and the cycle will start all over again.

The only thing Disney is selling with MM+ is privilege. The privilege of being first in the pecking order for a limited amount of resources.

The snake-oil aspect of it is the myth that in a land of limited resources, everyone can be first, and get as much as they want, when they want.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Because fastpass already increases standby wait times. How would more fastpasses make this any better?
    I don't think MM+ adds more Fastpasses - it just changes the way guests receive Fastpasses. The number of Fastpasses given out per hour will stay the same, it's just that MM+ guests are reserving the passes ahead of time rather than picking them up in the park.

If there were not a finite number of Fastpasses given out per ride per hour, then the Fastpass line would grow longer and completely defeat the purpose of the whole system.

I do hope that Fastpass+ reservations will only become available a month or so away from a trip - not 180 days like ADRs. I rarely plan a trip more than a month or two in advance, so I can pretty much count on never getting a reservation at Le Celllier or similarly swamped restaurants. But restaurants have a much lower capacity and slower turn-around rate than rides, so I don't think the reservation situation with Fastpasses would get as bad as the ADR situation.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

just got our mm+ bands in the mail, like the whole presentation is very nice. Looks like a bunch of detail went in. not sure how I feel about the colors though, they are a shade or two lighter than the website.

other than that I do like aspects of this system, it keeps me from having to have two or three places to keep/look up our various dining, hotel reservations and the like. I also like that there is no real way to lose your key to the world card as it's right there on your wrist.

I did set up a pin to avoid unwanted charges to my card. and my soon to be fiancee set up her own pin separate from mine.

the only thing I'm not to keen on is fastpasses though I'm sure if done right it'll neither improve nor detract from the problems the current system has...

that's my first impression after working with it a bit and setting everything up. So far it's running very nice and communicating well with the various parts though I screenshot and have hard copies of everything just in case as this IS a soft opening type of trial/beta testing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast