Escape from Tomorrowland - Illegal movie?

Escape from Tomorrow (2013) HD Trailer #1 - Sundance Disneyland Movie - YouTube

Trailer for an independent film secretly shot in WDW... looks like a very strange horror movie. That being said, how quickly do you think the Disney Lawyers will shut this thing down from being distributed at all, or will they only be able to siphon money from it after it's released? Clearly some sort of legal action is going to be taken by Disney, or so I assume, as the entire film rides on the back of their parks, and pains them in a poor light.

I wonder if it's any good...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Escape from Tomorrowland - Illegal movie?

From my understanding, once they completed shooting the movie, Disney was made aware of what they were doing, but thus far the company has not said or done anything and most are starting to think they probably won't. The film was a hit at the Sundance Film Festival.

I personally really want to see it. It looks freaky/disturbing and awesome all at the same time. The whole thing was shot "under cover" with handled video cameras/cell phone cameras and the director would be on the other side of the park communicating with the cast & crew via text messages as to not attract too much attention to what they were doing.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

How incredibly strange. I'm not sure if I want to see it or not . . .

• Heavy Breather

I wanna see it.

The only thing that will happen if Disney makes a stink about this, is that EVERYONE will want to see it. If they just downplay it, it'll go away soon enough and just be a blip on the radar.

I'm a big 'fair use' fan, and don't think that corporations have rights, but in today's legal environment Disney could smash them like a bug, but would end up giving them a lot more publicity along the way.

Look, Little Mermaid Movie... WITH IPADS!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    The only thing that will happen if Disney makes a stink about this, is that EVERYONE will want to see it. If they just downplay it, it'll go away soon enough and just be a blip on the radar.

I'm a big 'fair use' fan, and don't think that corporations have rights, but in today's legal environment Disney could smash them like a bug, but would end up giving them a lot more publicity along the way.

Look, Little Mermaid Movie... WITH IPADS!
    Yeah, I heard about that... I sincerely hope disney doesn't act as a trendsetter for second screen "experiences" in the theater.

• Sock Puppet

Hmmm. It seems the video got taken down.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Oh now Disney is apparently not pleased about the movie. But the director is planning on releasing it via like instant download and limited theatre release (most likely art house theatres) next month.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

I'll check the Torrent spehere and see if it's out there, may be able to catch it for free as Disney has made the Director take it down...

Can't stop the power of the internet...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

There was an extensive [exhaustive] thread on this about six months ago. It was taken down.

I've spoken with senior motion picture counsel from another major studio on this over the past few days. He said Disney will likely let them have their limited release without intervention. Based upon the nature of the content, the audience should be very limited. He said that Disney has certainly been formulating an onslaught of litigation even as they try to limit the inadvertent promotion of the film by publicizing their displeasure.

I work in the industry in IP development and am very curious to see how it all shakes out. There is a bit of an "underdog" factor with the filmmaker, who has never been commercially successful in his work. But the truth is that the filmmakers trampled brazenly across many legal and ethical lines to make this production possible.

You cannot take a person's image or voice without their express release. Many park guests, who likely assumed that they might appear in the background of someone's family photos, may have been captured in this decidedly commercial production. These guests all have probable legal ground to sue the filmmakers for both damages and residual compensation.

Disney has various and sundry legal tools at their disposal for pursuing Mr. Moore and the releasing company. While the filmmakers were in the park legally (they purchased tickets), they were in direct violation of the express and inferred guest user agreement that comes with entry. They were effectively trespassing. This may not be a legal argument, but it is true nonetheless.

Disney company intellectual property is featured prominently throughout the film. No license is granted by entering the park for commercial use of Disney IP in third-party products.

Disney is portrayed in ways that may diminish / dilute / damage the brand and associated IP elements. We know that the company vigorously defends their image. Expect that this will be at the center of litigation.

I'm eager to see the film for myself, but certainly won't monetize the filmmaker to do so.
    ~ Erik