Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Cars Land plans shelved for DHS

There's more Cliff's Notes of new things that Jim Hill and that Anonymouse have said at Jim's site. Jim said on there that he's blocked Anonymouse from posting for a week so this looks like this will be the last of their conversation for a while. But the new stuff since the last Cliff's Notes is:

* Jim's calling the Star Wars area "Endor" when we might be getting something more like Chewbacca's home planet Kashyyk (spelling?). Endor had the Ewoks and Kashyyk looks like Endor (lots of trees) but it has Chewbaccas there (the Wookies).

* Jim says they are building a speeder bike ride where the Indiana Jones ride is currently. Now, this is where the Endor/Kashyyk confusion is. Because those speeder bikers were on Endor in the Return of the Jedi...but that Kashyyk planet was in the prequel movies and Jim thinks it is heavily featured in the new Star Wars movies. So they might just make that area by Star Tours and where this new speeder bike is going to go a Kashyyk area. Jim Hill is calling it "moon of Endor" though. Feels like this area could go either way.

* That Anonymouse guy made a list of all the different Star Wars planets that Imagineers can source from and Jim made a good point: he said that the Imagineers would not be designing anything for the super fans, but instead for regular park goers. Meaning that they will not get into all kinds of super details or use anything obscure. You know how little most park guests really know about the movies things are based on. So only the most memorable things will be used.

* It kind of sounds like Jim is saying that the Echo Lake area will be affected but I'm not sure on that. From the back and forth that was going on between him and Anonymouse, I got the impression that all of that land that you can see on Google that is just below the boundaries of the park and over the road that's there is too swampy and marshy to do anything with. Jim made a comment that he was on that road and it is nothing but cement on top of marshland and it is very unstable. If that's true then nothing can get built there. That really limits the options on what DHS can do.

I think the whole back and forth was fascinating. I like a lot of the ideas that Anonymouse has but it doesn't feel like he is being practical. It sounds like a Wish List from a fan. Jim got frustrated with this and then blocked him from posting for a week "to cool off".

I just think it's exciting that anything new is coming at all to DHS.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post

* Jim's calling the Star Wars area "Endor" when we might be getting something more like Chewbacca's home planet Kashyyk (spelling?). Endor had the Ewoks and Kashyyk looks like Endor (lots of trees) but it has Chewbaccas there (the Wookies).
    Very interesting! I guess I could clear some of that up from a Star Wars/Disney fan's perspective.

A lot of the Star Wars Expanded Universe novels have hit the New York Times Best-seller lists, and there's probably over a hundred of them at this point. Seems like this Jim Hill guy ain't a big Star Wars fans, well that universe is now part of Disney and Lucasfilm/Disney has hired a guy who knows the novels forwards and backwards to work on a little art house film I'll just call Episode VII at this moment as Disney wants to get the details right. (And that means as consistent with the novels as possible, and they've given casting calls for the Solo twins, which might give a hint where Episode VII will take off from).

Here's what I can remember about Han's early adventures:

Han Solo wins the Millennium Falcon from Lando in a sabacc game. Han frees Chewie from a life of slavery to the empire and they have a fair number of adventures, and Han meets Chewie's family on Kashyyyk (I believe that is the right spelling?), which is a planet with large redwood-like trees and treehouses (and dangerous predators below) . . . but also landing spots for spaceships as the Wookies aren't the primitive Ewok culture. They're actually long-lived and very intelligent, (hope I didn't offend any Ewok fans). Anywho, Leia also seeks refuge on Kashyyyk at some point, and Kashyyyk becomes one of the "core worlds" of the New Republic after the fall of the empire, in fact, in one of the prequels you can see Wookie representatives in the well of the Senate!

Oh, and there's a Wookie jedi too, guess I almost forgot to mention that . . . so, yeah, Wookies and their culture are something that will likely be explored in the future.

Also . . . a Han Solo origin story (disney is make a young Han Solo origin movie separate from Episode VII, VIII, and VIX , you're going be seeing a lot more of Chewie) will almost certainly involve the adventures of Han and Chewie, and most likely Lando as well. Given that we got a sneak-peek of a part of Kashyyyk in the prequels (not the densest treehouse part of world per se), I'd expect to see a lot more of this world. Before Return of the Jedi, and post as per the novels, the moon of Endor and the Ewoks are kinda just a primitive tribal society. You don't have Ewok technicians fixing hyperdrives, like Chewie's been known to do on more than one occasion.

So, will Disney re-create Endor from Return of the Jedi, or go with an even more engaging envirion of Kashyyyk? Though ewoks were featured in a single Star Wars film from the 1980's, Chewie's been more prominently featured than any Ewok ever was, and his family and homeworld has been extensively described in the novels.

Problem with the Ewoks is that they built a village sufficient for their height . . . not humans, though a Wookie Kashyyyk complete with tree-house structures humans could easily enter, as well as a Wookie spaceship or two, might work much better. And given how close Kashyyyk's treehouse city is to the Ewok's village (though the wookies have all sorts of advanced technology), I'm kinda doubtful Disney will go with Endor's moon and ewok village, a place which mostly likely will not feature into any of the upcoming movies.

DHS's Star Tours opened in 1989, and with Return of the Jedi having already hit theaters in 1984, and no new Star Wars films on the horizon, Disney recreated the last world of the first triology when Ewoks were still in style. Now the Star Wars universe has grown much larger in size . . . as Kashyyyk is certainly one of the most worlds in the Star Wars universe, a place that a lot of fans might like to explore, and much, much, much more likely than not . . . will become a place that fans of the movies will become quite familiar with. It's not the 1980's, fans aren't lining up to have their picture with Ewoks, though people still love Chewie and Chewie and other wookies will, in all reality, be in Episode VII, VIII, VIX, and for the Han Solo stand-alone movie which may well lead to a sequel itself.

Name:  StarTours-Kashyyyk.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  66.4 KB
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-19-2013 at 01:14 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post

* Imagineering could not figure out how to build Cars Land at DHS in the space they have available considering the water table and the bogginess/swampiness...and Lassiter and Pixar blocked any kind of tiny, watered-down Cars Land. According to Jim's comments, it looks like they at first wanted to do an even grander version of Cars Land at DHS but the ground surveys and things put the kebosh on that
    Reedy Creek produces very detailed maps regarding suitability for construction on the property, and the reason why is obvious due to the legislation that allowed the district to be formed, it involved a whole lot of legalities and permanent conservation easements . . . but rest assured, Burbank is very well apprised as to what can be built, and where, on the property. All of this information is available online.

Please see Reedy Creek Improvement District, a plethora of land studies has already been done. Literally, thousands and thousands of soil samples/surveys have been done on the property, they had to be.

I personally don't know about what info this Mr. Hill has, but it would be silly to say that Disney discovered swamp land around/in DHS. Reedy Creek has a complex system of irrigation/flood canals and computer controlled locks, they know exactly where the 100-year flood plain is, and they don't build there.

Anonymouse makes a good point, upon reading the discussion: DHS's Tower of Terror is near 200 feet tall, and has floors and walls . . . the Cadillac Mountain range at DCA is something like 120 feet tall, and it does not have cement walls or floors and just a "skin" of cement. Meaning, that it would not sink into the ground and could be built at DHS. I guess it is obvious that this Mr. Hill is not a structural engineer. Pounds per square inch matters a lot, a shell of a 120 foot building weighs much less, per square inch, than the massive 200 foot tower of terror which also has walls, floors, and heavy ride equipment. Doesn't matter than the Cadillac Range is "stretched out", we're talking about pounds per square inch here.

Disney won't build Carsland at DHS because they'd have to demolish too much of the park, though it could go in the parking lot north of the 100 year flood plain. Then it seems Mr. Hill argues that the RSR showbuilding would sink into the ground . . . uh, yeah, a 1.5 story building that is mostly built like a warehouse will sink into the ground . . . not.

So, Disney didn't 'cancel' a Carsland at DHS because of suitability studies.

There are a handful of suitable (bigger than the Magic Kingdom) tracts of land, (and I'm not talking marginal) for development of a large project in other areas of the resort.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I'm actually totally down for Anonymouse's ideas for a 5th Gate at Walt Disney World. I think MiceChatters would enjoy reading all this, check it out...

How Mark Renfrow brewed up "Unleashed the Villains" for Disney's Hollywood Studios
    Whomever this Anonymouse person is, gotta say the plans for a 5th gate to the east of the TTC parking lot are rooted in reality.

That prime parcel of land has been cleared as "suitable" for development for a while, and is conveniently located next to the TTC parking lot. If the WDW speedway was removed, you could add parking spaces here for a fifth gate and trams (let's say colored red for the fifth gate, and blue for transportation to the TTC), could easily shuttle guests to this new offering. There's enough land there for a magic kingdom sized park (and then some), and all you'd have to do is remove the now shuttered WDW airstrip.

If WDW attendance was down, then I might figure a 5th gate is on hold, but it's well known that WDW's attendance as hit record levels this year, and the lines for D tickets like the tea cups are getting long and, amazingly, being given FastPass queues.

There certainly is a lot of fodder for a fifth gate. The Villains park idea has been floated around, and a lot of attractions that never made it off the drawing board would fit in well in a villains land, such as:

1. The planned but never built Headless Horseman attraction for the MK, older franchises like the Sword and the Stone which might get a reboot, and existing evil-doers such as the wood carver from Brave. Something tells me that a Brave ride with bears and a anti-hero witch might make a good ride in a Villain's courtyard after passing beneath Malificent's castle. Such a concept would give Disney a reason to build a Queen of Hearts/Alice ride, or . . .

even that conceived Beauty and the Beast dark ride as the Beasty can be kinda evil like when he gets angry (or maybe that is what is may go into the expansion pad behind Belle's village in the Magic Kingdom. Despite what folks might tell you, access road or not, a showbuilding could be put there in the future, one which utilizes a dark ride system that goes over that access road, similar to how the pirate boats go underneath the train tracks in Disneyland.) . . . but probably not a Pixar villain ride as Pixar doesn't believe in using strong villains so much.

2. WDI original idea to put Fantasmic in DL's castle moat, complete with a fire-breathing dragon. Maleficent is coming out, and a Maleficent's castle would provide an interesting visual jutaxposition to the spires of Cinderella's castle, and the Forbidden Mountain (which surrounds Maleficent's castle) might make a nice place to put a couple dozen . . . or hundred pumpkins as a nice backdrop for a Halloween firework show. Maybe WDW fifth gate will provide the most amazing home Fantasmic could ever hope for . . . leaving that little piece of land in DHS to be used for something else.

Name:  1000px-Maleficentcastle.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  24.3 KB

Just as Anonymouse suggested, the Forbidden Mountain surrounding Malificent's castle would sure be a great way to hide showbuildings for a whole courtyard of rides, as well as appropriate themed eateries, maybe even one themed like a dungeon with an animatronic dragon. And we all know how WDI has rockwork down to a fine art . . . as for a restaurant at the top of such a castle, who knows.

3. An ever increasing in number, and popularity of Disney villains who could headline their own attractions, even if the good guys/gals win in the end. Look at Snow White's Scary Adventures in Disneyland, the facade is much more evil queen than forest maiden.

4. Then there's the Nightmare Before Christmas, and other spooky offerings which might make much sense in a villains-style land than in the Magic Kingdom. The Villain's LTM event was a smash success, as is Mickey's not so Scary Halloween party, might lead the brass to believe that a year-round villains land might make sense.

Certainly, a Star Wars land might well make use of a number of Star Wars locales, and Coruscant is *the* center of the action in the expanded universe, and the prequels to a certain extent. Such a land might also provide the believability for a Star Wars themed world that that uses a spaceship ride vehicle mounted on a ride system with a greater range of motion, such as a Kuka arm, and even an E-Ticket Coruscant style speeder ride that weaves into between buildings and down into the depths of Coruscant where it encounters . . . well, something pretty scary. Kinda makes sense that a smaller sub-land of Tatooine or the Wookie homeworld would be attached to such a project. Don't take my, or Anonymouse's word for it, but blue sky disney has already leaked that WDI is looking at Coruscant and Tatooine . . . among other worlds.

As far as Anonymouse's claim of Artemis Fowl-land, well the Fowl-series of books are very popular, and involved a bewildering array of mythical creatures such as dwarfs, fairies, sprites, centaurs, goblins, and warlocks wrapped in a compelling narrative. Disney has begun work on a series of films based on the titular named anti-hero, who knows where that will go . . . but we do know that Disney has un-utilized plans for a Pixie hollow, and offering which might balance out certain others in such a putative fifth gate.

Who knows? Maybe even an Orlando version of Carsland (with taller buildings along Radiator Springs and more trees to mitigate the harsh Floridian sun), might become a reality in a corner of said park.

Then there's the issue of Pixar delayed dinosaur film . . . if kids love cars, they all seem to love dinosaurs and elementary school age kids seem to know more about T-Rexes and sauropads than even Star Wars. Dinosaurs are prime evergreen property for the company, and more fodder for a future land.

In terms of what Disney could build in WDW, the sky's the limit, maybe Anonymouse will say more when Jim Hill lifts the time stop, and puts aside plans for a blue-rinse, of Anonymouse's account. ;-)
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

A fifth gate is not at all in the cards for the foreseeable future.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    There certainly is a lot of fodder for a fifth gate. The Villains park idea has been floated around, and a lot of attractions that never made it off the drawing board would fit in well in a villains land, such as:

1. The planned but never built Headless Horseman attraction for the MK, older franchises like the Sword and the Stone which might get a reboot, and existing evil-doers such as the wood carver from Brave. Something tells me that a Brave ride with bears and a anti-hero witch might make a good ride in a Villain's courtyard after passing beneath Malificent's castle. Such a concept would give Disney a reason to build a Queen of Hearts/Alice ride, or . . .

2. WDI original idea to put Fantasmic in DL's castle moat, complete with a fire-breathing dragon. Maleficent is coming out, and a Maleficent's castle would provide an interesting visual jutaxposition to the spires of Cinderella's castle, and the Forbidden Mountain (which surrounds Maleficent's castle) might make a nice place to put a couple dozen . . . or hundred pumpkins as a nice backdrop for a Halloween firework show. Maybe WDW fifth gate will provide the most amazing home Fantasmic could ever hope for . . . leaving that little piece of land in DHS to be used for something else.

Name:  1000px-Maleficentcastle.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  24.3 KB

Just as Anonymouse suggested, the Forbidden Mountain surrounding Malificent's castle would sure be a great way to hide showbuildings for a whole courtyard of rides, as well as appropriate themed eateries, maybe even one themed like a dungeon with an animatronic dragon. And we all know how WDI has rockwork down to a fine art . . . as for a restaurant at the top of such a castle, who knows.

3. An ever increasing in number, and popularity of Disney villains who could headline their own attractions, even if the good guys/gals win in the end. Look at Snow White's Scary Adventures in Disneyland, the facade is much more evil queen than forest maiden.

4. Then there's the Nightmare Before Christmas, and other spooky offerings which might make much sense in a villains-style land than in the Magic Kingdom. The Villain's LTM event was a smash success, as is Mickey's not so Scary Halloween party, might lead the brass to believe that a year-round villains land might make sense.
    I'd LOVE to see a 5th gate at Walt Disney World, and one with a heavy focus on Disney villains. Yes, yes, yes I know a bunch of you are gonna say that Disney more than likely has no plans whatsoever for another park at WDW, but personally I wish this would happen, (and sometime in the near future, not when I'm 80 years old). And having the villains be the main focus would be a really fun change, not to mention having Maleficent's castle be the icon and hub of the park. Maleficent has always been the greatest villain in my mind, Disney film or not, animated or live action film.

• Banned User

I'd LOVE to see a 5th gate at Walt Disney World, and one with a heavy focus on Disney villains. Yes, yes, yes I know a bunch of you are gonna say that Disney more than likely has no plans whatsoever for another park at WDW, but personally I wish this would happen, (and sometime in the near future, not when I'm 80 years old). And having the villains be the main focus would be a really fun change, not to mention having Maleficent's castle be the icon and hub of the park. Maleficent has always been the greatest villain in my mind, Disney film or not, animated or live action film.
    There seems to be a sentiment among some in the fan community that Disney should spend $$$ to add new offerings to the parks, and not consider adding a fifth gate, while others really want a fifth gate. But in reality, a lot of the more mundane analysis, and issues facing WDW have kinda pushed Burbank to consider a fifth gate, especially when you consider the layout of WDW and a decision made a long time go to offer park hoppers.

You see, while guests love park hoppers at WDW, the management downright hates high transportation costs that the resort must swallow. All of those buses shuttling guests to and from the parks, and the price of gasoline pushed WDW management to look at accordion buses, (and also hybrid and electric options).

Despite Uni's success, WDW has growing pains:

Disney World making changes to buses, monorails and roadways to meet growth - Orlando Attractions Magazine

Each day WDW's fleet of buses transport huge amounts of guests, and that number is only going up. In fact, the advent of cheap smart phones for the whole family has allowed families to head off to different parks and meet at Epcot for dinner. Fun for them, but more cost for Disney, as per the article (for those who don't believe me), Disney added dozens more buses to deal with growth expected to come with NFL.

What does this have to do with a 5th gate?

Well, a whole lot actually.

You see, DHS is served primarily by buses, a whole lot of expensive buses, whereas the 5th gate location (next to the TTC) would sure save a lot of parking hopping transportation costs at WDW, instead of MK guests taking the monorail to the TTC to catch a bus or another monorail to another park, well, they'd already be at that 5th gate.

And if you think Disney's plan to automate monorail functions (to shave off seconds and transport even more guests) is extreme, you really should consider plans for linking the Magic Kingdom and the 5th gate via a brand-new People Mover system, which would be thematically sound as it would transport park hopper guests from the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland to a Coruscant/Star Wars themed area of the 5th gate, taking some of the strain of a Star Wars land off of the monorail system.

Or the idea for a large hotel integrated with the fifth gate, cutting down transportation costs even more for those guests when they visit the 5th gate.

When you operate a bus system which guests can use as much as they want, well, you can be sure that a whole lot of WDW guests would be using such a system to visit DHS if a Star Wars land was ever built there, potentially wreaking havoc on WDW's transportation system. But should a 5th gate open next to the TTC, well guests who spend time at MK and the fifth gate, parking hopping once, could leave their car in the TTC parking lot (saving the roadways some strain) and completely avoiding the use of WDW's bus system.

And given that the monorail would also pass by this 5th gate, enticing visitors to hang out around the Seven Lagoon area, some free advertising would also be gained, not to mention guests who might decide that they want to stay in one of the premium monorail serviced hotels around the Seven Sea Lagoon with easy access to what could become two of WDW's most popular parks.

So, you see, despite some fans want of a "quick fix" for DHS, maybe a Mos Eisley Cantina and dueling X-wing/Tie Fighter spinners . . . you can bet that Burbank will plop down a large high quality Star Wars land where logistical issues can be handled as this mega-project will doubtlessly draw millions more guests to wherever it is located, and given DHS's myriad of transportation and space issues, you can see why putting such an offering there would be a poor decision.

So not only does Disney have plans for a fifth gate, but you can see why Burbank sure doesn't want to grow DHS's attendance to 12 million from 10 million, opening a fifth gate which rakes in 6 million guests in the first year, and perhaps shaves off 750,000 to 1 million from the other parks is more than a doable scenario, as WDW would net more guests, and transportation costs on a per capita basis would drop, especially with a stylish People Mover helping to haul guests from the Magic Kingdom to this 5th gate, which would avoid the demolition of parts of DHS, and which could easily start out small and have room for future additions.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-19-2013 at 08:38 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

A fifth will not be able to generate the longer stays and increases in guest spending to justify its own existence. It's just that simple.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    A fifth will not be able to generate the longer stays and increases in guest spending to justify its own existence. It's just that simple.
    You don't really know that, it's a theory.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

There seems to be a sentiment among some in the fan community that Disney should spend $$$ to add new offerings to the parks, and not consider adding a fifth gate, while others really want a fifth gate. But in reality, a lot of the more mundane analysis, and issues facing WDW have kinda pushed Burbank to consider a fifth gate, especially when you consider the layout of WDW and a decision made a long time go to offer park hoppers.

You see, while guests love park hoppers at WDW, the management downright hates high transportation costs that the resort must swallow. All of those buses shuttling guests to and from the parks, and the price of gasoline pushed WDW management to look at accordion buses, (and also hybrid and electric options).

Despite Uni's success, WDW has growing pains:

Disney World making changes to buses, monorails and roadways to meet growth - Orlando Attractions Magazine

Each day WDW's fleet of buses transport huge amounts of guests, and that number is only going up. In fact, the advent of cheap smart phones for the whole family has allowed families to head off to different parks and meet at Epcot for dinner. Fun for them, but more cost for Disney, as per the article (for those who don't believe me), Disney added dozens more buses to deal with growth expected to come with NFL.

What does this have to do with a 5th gate?

Well, a whole lot actually.

You see, DHS is served primarily by buses, a whole lot of expensive buses, whereas the 5th gate location (next to the TTC) would sure save a lot of parking hopping transportation costs at WDW, instead of MK guests taking the monorail to the TTC to catch a bus or another monorail to another park, well, they'd already be at that 5th gate.

And if you think Disney's plan to automate monorail functions (to shave off seconds and transport even more guests) is extreme, you really should consider plans for linking the Magic Kingdom and the 5th gate via a brand-new People Mover system, which would be thematically sound as it would transport park hopper guests from the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland to a Coruscant/Star Wars themed area of the 5th gate, taking some of the strain of a Star Wars land off of the monorail system.

Or the idea for a large hotel integrated with the fifth gate, cutting down transportation costs even more for those guests when they visit the 5th gate.

When you operate a bus system which guests can use as much as they want, well, you can be sure that a whole lot of WDW guests would be using such a system to visit DHS if a Star Wars land was ever built there, potentially wreaking havoc on WDW's transportation system. But should a 5th gate open next to the TTC, well guests who spend time at MK and the fifth gate, parking hopping once, could leave their car in the TTC parking lot (saving the roadways some strain) and completely avoiding the use of WDW's bus system.

And given that the monorail would also pass by this 5th gate, enticing visitors to hang out around the Seven Lagoon area, some free advertising would also be gained, not to mention guests who might decide that they want to stay in one of the premium monorail serviced hotels around the Seven Sea Lagoon with easy access to what could become two of WDW's most popular parks.

So, you see, despite some fans want of a "quick fix" for DHS, maybe a Mos Eisley Cantina and dueling X-wing/Tie Fighter spinners . . . you can bet that Burbank will plop down a large high quality Star Wars land where logistical issues can be handled as this mega-project will doubtlessly draw millions more guests to wherever it is located, and given DHS's myriad of transportation and space issues, you can see why putting such an offering there would be a poor decision.

So not only does Disney have plans for a fifth gate, but you can see why Burbank sure doesn't want to grow DHS's attendance to 12 million from 10 million, opening a fifth gate which rakes in 6 million guests in the first year, and perhaps shaves off 750,000 to 1 million from the other parks is more than a doable scenario, as WDW would net more guests, and transportation costs on a per capita basis would drop, especially with a stylish People Mover helping to haul guests from the Magic Kingdom to this 5th gate, which would avoid the demolition of parts of DHS, and which could easily start out small and have room for future additions.
    Transportation. Whether its parkhopper buses between far-apart parks in Florida, or access for passenger vehicles who park in Anaheim, it's hindering the US parks' ability to grow. Sounds like infrastructure needs to precede attractions at both resorts.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You don't really know that, it's a theory.
    Four parks are barely justified, a fifth just is not going to work. There is too much extra overhead with an additional gate and all of its infrastructure needs. Maybe a boutique with higher admission price, but even then Walt Disney World still needs to generate more demand for what currently exists outside of the Magic Kingdom.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

A Heroes and Villains park featuring Disney/Pixar/Marvel/StarWars/LucasFilm that cost a fortune could be a Potter Swatter.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    A Heroes and Villains park featuring Disney/Pixar/Marvel/StarWars/LucasFilm that cost a fortune could be a Potter Swatter.
    Well they can't have Marvel in Florida (or anywhere east of the Mississippi for that matter), but a Disney/Pixar/Lucasfilm park based on Heroes and Villains would be cool. Though Pixar films really don't have many prominent villains. In any case, I would love to see Disney do something new: a strong permanent villain presence.

Seeing as Marvel characters/stories will have to be exclusive to DLR, at least for the foreseeable future, and since it looks pretty solid that Disney is adding some Star Wars stuff to Tomorrowland and not saving Star Wars for a bigger presence at the 3rd gate, I guess in some way it would balance out that DLR would be Marvel heavy and WDW would have the heavier Star Wars presence.

Has this been talked about somewhere? I haven't heard anything about a new peoplemover... have I missed something, or is this just your personal idea for a potential 5th gate?

• Banned User

Has this been talked about somewhere? I haven't heard anything about a new peoplemover... have I missed something, or is this just your personal idea for a potential 5th gate?
    Plans for linking parks via a new People Mover system have existed for quite a while, and on both coasts. Westcot would have utilized a People Mover to get guests from the esplanade over to a large parking structure. And there were ideas for using a People Mover system to move guests from the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland over to a Contemporary addition, which became a DVC addition and this didn't happen. Yes, there have been ideas, explorations of possibilities for using a People Mover system to link MK to a fifth gate near the TTC, or even to a parking structure in the TTC parking lot, such as with Westcot. While the company likely won't build a large monorail system, a short People Mover route on the eastside of the Seven Sea Lagoon remains a possibility, especially if a fifth gate were to be constructed.

Walt wanted a grand approach so that guests would take a monorail, or the ferry, over to the Magic Kingdom, well, didn't work out very well when the resort first got on its feet. In fact, they had a tram service from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom for a time.

In terms of whether it will become a reality, well, there have been whisperings over the years, and a couple rumors about a year ago about a Star Wars land linked to a Disney castle park via a unique PeopleMover type system, perhaps I'm speculating too much about said rumor in the context of logistic solutions already devised for the TTC fifth gate. But taken in context with rumors of a Star Wars themed add-on park hotel, such a transportation system would certainly be a bonus for guests at said facility which might have People Mover access to both the MK and a TTC fifth gate.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast