Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Cars Land plans shelved for DHS

Robert Niles reports at his website Theme Park Insider that his sources tell him that the plans to recreate the enormously popular Cars Land (from the Disneyland Resort in California) at Disney's Hollywood Studios have been shelved, in favor of concentrating on the upcoming Star Wars Land (and Avatar Land).

Here's the link to the article:
    Disney's Hollywood Studios expansion update: Cars Land parked

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Cars Land plans shelved for DHS

That would be a smart move.

• Banned User

Good news number 1 if it is true that way we could get the uniqueness of each park. unlike universal did with potter every theme has a potterland

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Since Universal is making every HP experience different, Disney's cloning days look numbered.

Actually, CaliforniaAdventurer, I believe Universal is cloning Harry Potter from Islands of Adventure...but it is "fixing" some things that they didn't like about the Orlando end result:

* larger Ollivander's (since the Orlando one is too small for the crowds)
    * some crowd control issues with the layout

Additionally, Dueling Dragons and Flight of the Hippogriff won't be in Hollywood because those two coasters were already in Orlando and Universal went cheap and just rethemed them to Potter (but didn't bother to do anything to hide the steel or make them look like they were really part of the Harry Potter world, and not just steel rollercoasters from the 20th Century with Harry Potter themes stuck on them).

I heard a rumor that there would be a big restaurant in the Hollywood version that is based on the dining hall at Hogwarts. That's something that was meant for Orlando but Universal cut it because of budget reasons. That was a mistake they are fixing for Hollywood since guests keep saying they want the experience of eating at a House table at Hogwarts. The article I read said that there would be an entrance into the restaurant from outside the park so that non-park guests could eat there too. Not sure how they would do that, but it would be like Rain Forest Cafe at DAK if true.

There are strict noise ordinances in Hollywood so all rides have to really be inside buildings. I bet they will do the Gringott's coaster in Hollywood...but not sure how they would get that to fit if they are only building Hogsmeade and not Diagon Alley too. They are only building Potter on one level of the Universal Studios Hollywood lot (there's an upper level and a lower level) and they are not building a Hogwarts Express or anything.

I think Universal should have gone with something a little different and not replicated either Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley in any other park. They should have build Durmstrung Academy or Beauxbattons Academy in Hollywood. This way, each Universal park could have had a different Potter location to visit.

• Banned User

Good news number 1 if it is true that way we could get the uniqueness of each park. unlike universal did with potter every theme park has a potterland

• Mickey icecream sammiches

So stoked for them to get moving with Star Wars Land, and put a lot of money, diligence, and creative effort into the project. Disney has the opportunity to really kill it here, and hopefully will continue with the 3rd Gate in Anaheim with new creative Star Wars stuff.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

With J.K. Rowling writing and producing at least one more movie set in the wizarding world:

Warner Bros. Announces Expanded Creative Partnership with J.K. Rowling

Disney is going to have to step up their game.

I'd appreciate them finishing up Avatar land first just because I want to see as few construction walls as possible on my trips.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    With J.K. Rowling writing and producing at least one more movie set in the wizarding world:

Warner Bros. Announces Expanded Creative Partnership with J.K. Rowling

Disney is going to have to step up their game.
    I have a different perspective on this. To me, it's that Universal is finally doing better than "good enough" when it comes to their attractions. I don't think Disney needs to "step up their game" because they've set the bar high and have produced really great attractions. Universal to me, before Potter, always phoned things in and did everything half-baked. Like, Universal was operating at the Holiday Inn level and Disney was the Ritz-Carlton level.

I love that Universal is spending the money to raise its game. Let's celebrate that, because that means there's much better quality offerings at Universal than there was in the past. I think there's room for both Disney and Universal to operate high-quality parks at that Ritz level.

I think it's great that Universal is ending its "good enough" attitude and really investing the time and money to raise themselves above the Six Flags level. But, I don't think we need to attack Disney and say they need to "step up their game".

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    I have a different perspective on this. To me, it's that Universal is finally doing better than "good enough" when it comes to their attractions. I don't think Disney needs to "step up their game" because they've set the bar high and have produced really great attractions. Universal to me, before Potter, always phoned things in and did everything half-baked. Like, Universal was operating at the Holiday Inn level and Disney was the Ritz-Carlton level.

I love that Universal is spending the money to raise its game. Let's celebrate that, because that means there's much better quality offerings at Universal than there was in the past. I think there's room for both Disney and Universal to operate high-quality parks at that Ritz level.

I think it's great that Universal is ending its "good enough" attitude and really investing the time and money to raise themselves above the Six Flags level. But, I don't think we need to attack Disney and say they need to "step up their game".
    I hope people realize that a lot of Universal's vast improvement in their parks is due to Steve Burke being in charge, a man who used to be with Disney. Many here on MiceChat have said that "Universal is out-Disneying Disney" with it's immersive Harry Potter land at Islands of Adventure, and I think much of that is due to Burke bringing the Disney formula to Universal Orlando. As others have mentioned, it would be great if Disney could get Burke back to succeed Iger when he's done in 2016. A move like that would hopefully kickstart the process of additional improvements at say Epcot, and at DLR.

• Adventurer

Yay.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Cloning Carsland at DHS would've been a huge mistake IMO. For one thing, the Carsland they were planning was going to be a downgraded version of the one at DCA. They weren't gonna even have the crown jewel RSR and without RSR, that would make the land pretty pointless. Second, it would've taken from DCA the one thing that is drawing in the tourists to DLR right now.

The One Disney movement is dying a slow death but at least its dying.

Heres something to think about. Maybe Disney doesn't want to clone Carsland, and have decided to change it to Planesland.

I wish they would revamp the Studio Backlot Tour. Aside from the Great Movie Ride, that is the quintessential ride for that park considering it was originally meant to be a celebration of movies and how they're made. I miss the original two hour version they had back in the day, and all the cool things you'd see on it (I especially miss the old animation portion of it, with Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite guiding the guests through the process of animation, the animation portion now is worthless!). I REALLY hope Team Disney Orlando does a comprehensive effort of improving Hollywood Studios, not just adds a land as an attempt at a quick fix. There is need for improvement in many parts of that park. It used to be so much better.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast