Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WDW1974 does Everest and ... WOW!!!

Yes ... WOW!

Or maybe WHEW is more like it ... like 'Whew, WDI can actually still make quality E Ticket attractions for its USA parks.'

Yep ... old WDW1974 (AKA management's worst nightmare) was quite impressed with his first six trips to visit the Yeti (who I've nicknamed Mac) today. ***Side note to any APers heading out this weekend -- do NOT go in the morning or early afternoon. You will likely wait a long time, maybe hours. IF you show up after 2 p.m., you may be able to ride many times. I could have gone likely another six times, but opted for a safari (which was awesome as it was the end of the day, there were only six of us and NO ridiculous poacher overlay, yet plenty of very active animals!)

OK ... back to the review, which I'll keep short and sweet. All the details of the ride can be found elsewhere so I'm not going to rehash them or spoil the ride for those of you (like poor Dan in Texas and Little Mikey in NY) who have a wait to ride.

Why is this the best WDW E-Ticket to open since ToT a dozen years ago? Yes -- even better than Soarin because I think rides always have more repeatability than movie/simulator attractions and Mission Space, which is far more intense.

Simple. It's got the total package (or close to it, and all the effects clearly aren't working). You have a highly themed queue (that doesn't do it justice) that sets the tone. ''Look at all the amazing stuff,'' a young mother told her 6-year-old daughter. That's what I was doing too. This is a ride you don't want to simply FastPass everytime. Of course what it will look like after some of the lower echelon guests, who have to touch everything, get to it is another matter.

The trains are muy kewl looking ... love the steam belch as they pull out of the station to begin the trek up Everest.

The ride is extremely smooth. Smoothest of any Disney coaster in the US. Someone referred to this as BIg Thunder meets the Matterhorn on steroids. I'd agree with that. This isn't intense, although it can be disorienting with all the backward motion. At the same time, I doubt there will be vomit bags installed anytime soon. this isn't a 90 second ride like RnRC that has a cool launch and ... nothing else. I timed the ride at a tad under three minutes on average.

The effects that were working all were cool (some literally). The Yeti looked amazing, but again, you don't get to see him for very long.

I even enjoyed the shop at the exit, which matches the detailed theming and so far at least has limited pins and no plush or princess or Mr. PotatoHead merchandise in it.

This isn't perfect by any stretch, but neither was ToT when it opened (remember just two big drops).

Some things I had small issues with:

Foliage isn't grown. Looks like much was planted in last six months and that make the whole area look too new. Disney used to plant in advance or transplant fully mature trees.

More sound effects would go along way. It would be nice to hear some Asian music as you make the first climb (and no, I don't mean onboard) just strategically placed speakers. Also, some more Yeti noises or even the sound of track getting ripped when you're going backwards in the tunnels would add a lot.

Don't like the bird. Get a real AA, not something on a stick.

Some more props on the way into the mountain ... maybe showing what happened to the 1982 expedition (see queue for explanation on this).

All in all, I loved it. I hoped I would, but Disney has let me down so many times in the past decade (everything from Test Track to Imagination to Stitch) I wasn't counting on it.

It's a wonderful addition to DAK and I am sure it will help drive attendance the way Team Disney hopes. With a little plussing this thing can be labeled great ... it really is that good.

And I'm so happy to report that.

• Banned User

Re: WDW1974 does Everest and ... WOW!!!

Ha ha. Excellent. Glad you liked it. Just curious, what did you think of the viewing area? I thought that was one of the coolest viewing areas I've ever seen. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Ha ha. Excellent. Glad you liked it. Just curious, what did you think of the viewing area? I thought that was one of the coolest viewing areas I've ever seen. lol
    Bill, I AM glad I liked! I used to expect to be wowed by Disney on a regular basis and was, but the last 10 years have been tough. Now, two in a row (I also greatly enjoyed DCA's new Monsters Inc. darkride, but obviously that's on a different level).

I have to say I didn't even notice the viewing area (like 98% of the details in the amazing queue). Was it that terraced area right in front of the shop or did I miss it completely?

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I vote, instead of the bird they have, we transplant a vulture from Splash Mountain-and leave the audio. And no, I'm not joking. It's the sort of thing I'd find hilarious.

"You're looking for your laughing place, eh?"............and then.....well, you know.....

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

"We'll show YOU a laughin' place!"

Glad you liked it...I agree with the folliage (and it's something they should have been able to plan ahead on an attraction they spent 3 years building), but that will really fill out by summer...more audio would be nice, but probably diminish the realism of the ride...the queue has nice Asian music, however.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• The one, the only...

I really hope that Disney takes notice that when effort and quality is put into a ride that we Disney fans do respond to it.

I also hope that attendance is increase. I have confidence it will based on the history of Disneyland and WDW.

I believe that although EE was expensive, that it WILL pay for itself in the long-run.

No more singles and doubles, only home-runs!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

let alone foul balls (~cough~ Stitch's Great Escape ~cough~) and strike-outs (~cough~ Journey Into YOUR Imagination ~cough~)...
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

ok i like journey into your imagination.. personally I think poohs playground should be transplanted to mgm, and a ride like roger rabbits cartoon spin but based on catching stitch would be really cool. like mr toad on steroids.that would leave two spots in tommorrowland to have something really cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    ok i like journey into your imagination.. personally I think poohs playground should be transplanted to mgm, and a ride like roger rabbits cartoon spin but based on catching stitch would be really cool. like mr toad on steroids.that would leave two spots in tommorrowland to have something really cool
    you mean you liked Journey into Your Imagination...I don't think the current version is too painfully bad (Journey into Imagination with Figment), but its predecessor, JIYI...well there is good reason that it only lasted a couple years.
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

how about a clearly visible speaker tied to the broken track? "Attention treckers, your train will be moving backward for your trip down the mountain"

• Minion

Glad you liked E:E WDW1974! From what I've been reading, it sounds like it's pretty darn good right now and has potential to be better. Can't wait!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    ***Side note to any APers heading out this weekend -- do NOT go in the morning or early afternoon. You will likely wait a long time, maybe hours. IF you show up after 2 p.m., you may be able to ride many times.
    Damn these lines and thier messing up of my plans. I have to say it figures the first AP preview I go to is the one that is uberly packed. But thanks for the tip.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Great review! I can't WAIT to go on this thing tomorrow!!!

You going to be there tomorrow WDW1974?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by BurningStroller
    how about a clearly visible speaker tied to the broken track? "Attention treckers, your train will be moving backward for your trip down the mountain"
    It won't be long before lawyers take over and they have to put in warning video screens as you go up the first lift. "Hang the show - just make sure we're covered in case of lawsuit!"

• Banned User

The longest I waited today for Everest was 30 minutes. And I was there all day. The wait time never got longer (even when the posted time was 50 min.) This is with a full line queue, including the extended queue.

Everest does do single riders in the morning when it is crowded, just FYI.

One word of warning... all pins are sold out. The free gift pin and lanyards are the only special edition Everest pins left.

Also... it's a vulture, not a hawk or condor or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast