Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Universal Ups the Ante - Announces Annual 500M in New Attractions and Resorts!

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    As for Disney, we're still at a point where Universal has a lot of catching up to do before its parks come anywhere close to what Disney offers. Right now, Universal's big fans are people who at least partly enjoy blowing raspberries at Disney...but Disney's business does not come from people who have any hatred for Universal. People come to Florida to go to Disney...but they aren't going to Disney to stick it to Universal and they don't have any nasty feelings towards Universal.

Disney guests seem motivated by love of what Disney does...while the Universal fans seem to have motivation based on hurting Disney by going to Universal instead. There's interesting psychology at work there. I really wonder if at some point in the future the tables were turned and Universal became the Number One destination if these people wouldn't decide to backstab Universal and reinvent themselves as Disney fans, just because they like icon-toppling and taking down the number one in the field in favor of the second place entry.
    I don't find this true at all anymore. While in the past, yes, the average Universal park goer didn't want to go to Disney and went to Universal on purpose instead, that is no longer true.

The new Universal park goer, so-to-speak, is generally a Harry Potter fan or a Simpsons fan. And then they get to the park, and they see how many other great things there are, and that's how they become a Universal fan.

Universal is doing what Tony Baxter wanted to do at Disney for years, which is to bring in newer different brands that people already love, build something amazing based on them that you'd absolutely *NEED* to visit, and those people will see all the other neat things in the parks and realize that they're also a fan of that entire park too!

Tony did that with Indy at Disneyland. Now Universal is doing that with EVERYTHING at ALL its parks. Those people aren't going to Universal just because they want to be anti-Disney, they're going there because they already love Harry Potter (or some other property that Universal has in its parks) and they want to live the experience in that property.

And for the locals, well, it's about what parks are treating the locals the best... AP events, seasonal events, ease of access, and all that jazz. And Universal is winning that battle right now.
    -Bill

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Re: Universal Ups the Ante - Announces Annual 500M in New Attractions and Resorts!

^This

Disney has gotten to the point where a bunch of people, myself included in this, no longer feel the need to spend all of their time at Disney...I know of several people that don't go to the Disney parks they go down there use their DVC because their parents bought into it years ago, and now they have to use the points because of cost basis, and they either don't go to the parks at all, split their time, or just go to Universal's parks because they enjoy their time there just as much if not more.

Universal's experiences keep improving and improving, and Disney's seems stagnant. This is what is starting to drive more and more people through Uni's doors.

I don't know what an adequate response is for Disney, whether they need to invest more in attractions or what they need to do exactly. This is all about who gives the better experience to the guest. And right now Universal is doing exactly that right now to more people than they used to it seems.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

BradyNBradleysMom, I think you kind of missed the point.

No one is taking a jab at Universal, Universal is not even taking a jab at Disney. They had with their little "jokes" in the past, however them buying property and putting money into the park isn't taking "jabs" at Disney.

People are just saying Disney has some competition. That is all.

And Universal is focusing "building world-class, incredibly detailed attractions that are the best of the best possible", hence buying more property, putting more money into the park, and creating more attractions.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    ^This

Disney has gotten to the point where a bunch of people, myself included in this, no longer feel the need to spend all of their time at Disney...I know of several people that don't go to the Disney parks they go down there use their DVC because their parents bought into it years ago, and now they have to use the points because of cost basis, and they either don't go to the parks at all, split their time, or just go to Universal's parks because they enjoy their time there just as much if not more.

Universal's experiences keep improving and improving, and Disney's seems stagnant. This is what is starting to drive more and more people through Uni's doors.

I don't know what an adequate response is for Disney, whether they need to invest more in attractions or what they need to do exactly. This is all about who gives the better experience to the guest. And right now Universal is doing exactly that right now to more people than they used to it seems.
    I think the real wake-up call for Disney will be if Universal ever builds their own on-property timeshare resort and starts their own version of DVC. Now that would turn a few heads at TDO.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I think the real wake-up call for Disney will be if Universal ever builds their own on-property timeshare resort and starts their own version of DVC. Now that would turn a few heads at TDO.
    The way Universal is going I don't see that being too far off, they may do a joint timeshare venture with SeaWorld included too...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Here's how I see it as a native born Floridian and Orlando resident since 1975 'ish so I've got a little "sand in my shoes". I've been going to WDW since as far as I can remember, I even remember Space Mountain having just a simple seatbelt as a restraint and I also remember riding the Skyride from Von Roll. I also remember what EPCOT once was which was much better than the one that's here today.

I still enjoy going to WDW every once in a while but I just can't justify buying a AP because it really isn't worth it for me. On the other hand, I have a two park Preffered Annual Pass for Universal which is just below their top of the line Premier Pass. I bought that pass for UOR as both Universal parks have the rides and shows that best suit me. I also have a two year Platinum Pass to all the SeaWorld and Busch Gardens parks as well and I've had both passes in one form or another for at least 12 years now. I just feel, at least for me, that WDW is worth a trip every once in a while, but certainly not worth buying a AP. The reason I've had passes to UOR and SWP&E is I feel that's the best value for the entertainment I'm interested in, but that's just my opinion.

I also don't take jabs at WDW either, after all, without Disney, Orlando might still be a defence oriented citrus town. OIA might still be McCoy AFB (MCO) and there's Lockheed/Martin which is still here today between WDW and UOR on Sandlake Rd.
    Last edited by Coasterjunkie; 09-17-2013 at 05:59 PM.

I think that if Universal goes through with this, and Disney responds by raising their game, it's a great situation for guests of both parks. I'm a huge WDW and have gone for years. But I love the Universal parks in Orlando. I grew up near Disneyland and I never liked the Universal park there (still don't really care for it). And I don't see that park changing much because the studio business is so profitable for them.

But the theming of USF was done well and has improved more and more. Seuss Landing, the Springfield area outside of Simpsons, Hogsmeade, it's great. My youngest daughter loves rock climbing wall and they turned an alley into one of the best climbing walls I've seen. So for them to continue to improve and hopefully have Disney feel a business need to become more creative would be great.

And I have to say with Disney talking about taking away Fastpass from guests who don't stay on property next year, when I use my timeshare, I just see one more perk they are taking away.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus View Post
    And I have to say with Disney talking about taking away Fastpass from guests who don't stay on property next year, when I use my timeshare, I just see one more perk they are taking away.
    If I remember correctly for the first few years Fastpass was just for Disney Resort guests...Along with EMH it was seen as kinda a perk to those guests staying on property, I think that one of the reasons prompting the change back to this policy; correct me if I'm wrong but I think the policy changed because of guests complaining about it, is because the system is too bogged down with everyone using it. There's alot more people that are staying on property than before and people complaining about Fastpass and hotel prices for the perks you get may be a reason for the change back to this system..

Heck Universal charges extra for their fastpass, I'm not sure how much longer it'll be before Disney starts doing the same, or limiting the amount of passes per day.
    -George S. Patton

• Roller coaster enthusiast

That would be a bummer for me. I really have no reason to stay at a WDW resort as I'm a Orlando resident myself. I would typically start off my day by heading for SM and then head to the other side of the park for a fast pass on Splash and then ride BTMRR, or get a fast pass for BTMRR and ride Splash.
    Current coaster count: 155
    100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
    last new park addition: Fun Spot America

This is huge. I'm planning on heading over to Orlando for a weekend get away next year, and I'll be skipping WDW altogether. WDW needs to bring in some attractions that will make me wanna visit their parks, and they're just not doing it. With the economy chugging along, this is a great time to be bringing new attractions. What are they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    If I remember correctly for the first few years Fastpass was just for Disney Resort guests...
    Heck Universal charges extra for their fastpass, I'm not sure how much longer it'll be before Disney starts doing the same, or limiting the amount of passes per day.
    I honestly can't remember that far back, and I lived closer to Disneyland, where if I recall, every park guest could use it. Which is what I like about the FP system is that it's free and open to everyone so you have the option to plan ahead. I think that Universal actually offers a better value because if you stay on property, you get priority entrance to more than three attractions.

I fully expect Disney to charge for the ability to do it, but if I'm going to pay their rates, I'd want to get FP for more than 3 attractions. As it is, I think the key to staying off property is to get to the parks when they open, predict the three rides that most people will reserve, and get to those first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12