Short Trip Report

I just got back from a week long trip to WDW. We had a great time with no issues to really complain about. I was asked (How Sad is This?) to do a trip report with lots of pictures. Well I don't take lots of pictures as they turn out to be the ones everyone else takes any way but here goes.

We did things a bit different this time. Normally we have a travel day on each end of our vacation and go at it hard inbetween those days. This time we left New England early and got to the Magic Kingdom for lunch at Casey's on Main St.... which was a bit surreal. We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, Building 5, on the river side which gave us a nice morning view.

Name:  morning view.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  107.3 KB

We spent the afternoon hitting the main rides we enjoy, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, checked out Aeriel's ride, Carousel of Progress.

Name:  tomorrowland.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  190.1 KB

Supper was at the Kona Cafe

Name:  kona.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  114.9 KB

Was a busy, but fun day. Only real complaint was the fastpass setup they now use at Pirates really screws things up. Instead of the dual lines running all the way in it's a single and then they split you...if the CMs are paying attention.... near the loading area. During one of the busiest times we rode it the CM's were not on the ball and the line backed up and boats were leaving half empty.

All of our days were split in half and this really seemed to work out for us. Normally we would get up, have a breakfast at the resort and then head out to a park and spend the day there, dragging our tired butts back to the resort when the park closed. This trip we started out early and tried for the park openings, or special hours. We would get something to eat and spend until lunch at which ever park we wanted to visit. After lunch we would head back to the resort to relax a bit either with a short nap, or a dip in the pool to cool off. Then we would head back to the park we had supper reservations in. Most of our dinner reservations were in EPCOT so we spent most evenings there.

Name:  EPCOT.jpg
Size:  173.8 KB

We ate at Chefs de France, The lobster bisque was awesome and the waiter we had was the best server we have ever had at any restaurant! He was fun, attentive, informative and all with out being over bearing or in your face if you know what I mean.

We ate at Boma. For a buffet type place it wasn't bad and even a picky eater could find something to like. I'm not much of a soup/stew person, but they had a seafood stew that was out of this world!

Name:  boma.jpg
Size:  126.1 KB

We also checked out the Biergarten and it too is a buffet style. The thing that makes this a fun place to eat....besides the large beer steins is the great floor show. The band is great and really knows how to get the crowd into it.... maybe the beer steins help there too

Name:  germany.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  113.6 KB

My favorite for the food is a toss-up between the last two, Tokyo and Yak and Yeti.

Name:  tokyo.jpg
Size:  69.2 KB

We got lucky and had a window seat at Tokyo Dinning and the service was top notch as was the steak I had, and the sushi the kids had.

Name:  yak and yeti.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  167.6 KB

The Yak and Yeti was a late dinner and the park closed while we ate. It was odd walking out of the park as one of the last few quests. The service again was awesome and the meal was great. I had the stirfry steak, but what made this one was the desert. We got the Fried Wontons which was skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzled across the top. It was all we could talk about for the rest of the night! LOL!

As for the parks....other than the food We got to ride the new Fast Track as it was closed last time we were here. While the ride hasn't changed much except for the "neon glow" they added the interactive computer builds that did add some fun. The competition of trying to out "build" other riders made the que a lot more fun than looking at bits and pieces of test dumbies.

The Mine Cart Rollercoaster is shaping up and the only ride closed was the Jungle Cruise.

Bus transportation, I know many people hate it but again we rode 4 to 6 buses a day and the waits were never more than 15 minutes (except once see below) and the rides also only 15 minutes or less. The only time the times changed is when they had to load a scooter. Even then it was only a few extra minutes. On the plus side, Disney has recognized that taking a bus from a park to a resort to transfer to another park is stupid and has started adding more routes. So now you can leave Hollywood Studios and go strait to Animal Kingdom with out stop overs.

The one exception to the bus times was on Friday the 13th. They added extra hours at Studios with a "Villains" night. We had reservations at Yak and Yeti that night. We were at our resort around 6 and were going to head over for the "party". When the bus arrived the driver informed us that the ride .... usually a 15 minute ride was going to be over an hour and then there was issues getting into the park. The show wasn't going to start until 8, almost two hours later! We decided not to bother. I think Disney shot themselves in the foot with the planning on this one. Using our phone we were able to keep track on the traffic...while lounging at the pool, and it was jammed for most of the night. Too bad because I think it was a fun idea to get the not often seen villains out and about.

The other thing that got one of our party a bit miffed was a release of a Haunted Mansion inspired Pocketbook. We were told that most of the inventory would be released at Studios on friday the 13th. We were in the park at opening and they were sold out through out the park. One of the CMs told us they sold out at 7 am, 2 hours before the park opened. Funny thing is you could find them on Ebay. While I'm ok with CMs getting first dibs I think they should be limited, especially if you have a limited number of product anyway. Again poor planning on Disney's part.

Over all it was a great trip. We had a blast, and got to see all we wanted. Splitting the day in two made 10 hour days much easier to handle than running it strait through. Here are a few more pictures. Thanks for reading, hope you liked the report.

Name:  hall.jpg
Size:  152.0 KB
    Name:  splitsville.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  166.7 KB
    Name:  castle.gif
Size:  147.3 KB
    Name:  Italy.jpg
Size:  143.7 KB
    Name:  HM.gif
Size:  239.8 KB
    Name:  hulk.gif
Views: 325
Size:  183.2 KB
    Name:  night SSE.jpg
Size:  116.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Short Trip Report

Nice report. Thanks for posting. We usually end up splitting up the days like that, too.

• Done with MC.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all this. Those of us that rarely get to the parks (especially WDW) get a great deal out of all the details.

I think we must have bee sitting at about the same table at Tokyo Dining. The food was incredible (seafood tempura!) and the views of the garden and world showcase made for an almost Zen like experience I will never forget.

• formerly very helpful

Thanks for sharing. You managed to get some photos that I really haven't seen much before. Think I'll add a couple to my desktop, if that's alright with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. You managed to get some photos that I really haven't seen much before. Think I'll add a couple to my desktop, if that's alright with you.
    Thanks, and have at it with adding them to your desktop rotation.

I try taking pictures that I haven't seen before as well. I hate taking the same old pictures everyone does. Plus having gone to WDW so many times I'm always looking for things I haven't seen yet and I'm never disappointed!

Here are a couple more I took.

Name:  disney_2013_zpsd50dd6f4.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  197.3 KB

Name:  disney_2013_2_zps0a73eee7.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  158.6 KB

OMG! The pictures you took are incredible! Are you a professional photographer? I love how the shots turned out. I wish my pictures looked as nice. What kind of camera did you use?