Questions about Animal Kingdom Resort.

In order to see visit Disney and experience it in a way, but spend less money I occasionally like to go to resorts and experience them without actually staying there, such as riding the monorails to go from one to the next, walking around taking the views, and dining at the restaurants.

I've heard people having great experiences at Animal Kingdom Resort, especially with seeing animals from their balconies and stuff like that. However, I was wondering if it's possible to walk around and see the animals yourself without having a room, or paying the fee to go on the expedition? Also, I was wondering if people had other recommendations of what to do there and what I should try in particular?

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Re: Questions about Animal Kingdom Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    In order to see visit Disney and experience it in a way, but spend less money I occasionally like to go to resorts and experience them without actually staying there, such as riding the monorails to go from one to the next, walking around taking the views, and dining at the restaurants.

I've heard people having great experiences at Animal Kingdom Resort, especially with seeing animals from their balconies and stuff like that. However, I was wondering if it's possible to walk around and see the animals yourself without having a room, or paying the fee to go on the expedition? Also, I was wondering if people had other recommendations of what to do there and what I should try in particular?
    You can go into the hotel and go out to the back Savannahs outside of the lobby or along the back sides of Jambo House there are a couple lookout spots to view the animals. There are also some pretty fantastic restaurants there. Even if you don't go to Boma, Jiko or Sanaa there is a Quick Service (The Mara) which has some pretty fantastic food, including the hotel's signature dessert "Zebra Domes". They are fantastic!

Absolutely. If you walk through the lobby of Jambo House to the back, there is a great lookout area over one of the savannas. If you go downstairs to the right of the lobby (near Boma), you can go out to the pool and there are some animal viewing areas there (a view of one of the savannas, and a flamingo pool). If you go to the left of the lobby there is a lounge area with an outside balcony that looks out over the other savannas. Plus, if you walk along any of the corridors to the rooms, there are lots of windows looking out on both sides of the buildings.

Combining a look around the resort and the animals with a meal in one of the restaurants is an ideal way to spend an evening, in my opinion!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I highly recommend spending time exploring each of the resorts. They are beautiful and the grounds are probably some of the most overlooked areas at WDW.

DAK Lodge is probably my favorite because of the great areas to explore. Just go an wander around, and you will find lots of areas to view animals.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I have been to some of the resorts to check out the areas and restaurants, but I've heard so much about the Animal Kingdom Resort that I decided that I should probably go there for my next trip, which is why I asked about it.

The animals in the resort look ridiculous. I best remember it as a bunch of animals surrounded by what looks like apartment buildings. I'm glad I just went there to catch dinner, which I do recommend. However, we drove since the commute over to AK by bus is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    The animals in the resort look ridiculous. I best remember it as a bunch of animals surrounded by what looks like apartment buildings. I'm glad I just went there to catch dinner, which I do recommend. However, we drove since the commute over to AK by bus is awful.
    WOW! hate life much?

I found the Savannah surrounded by the hotel arc well done. The building while looking like a building had great architectural ques that worked to give you the impression of an african site.

As to the bus rides, I haven't spent more than 15 minutes on one to get to any where at Disney. I really don't see why so many people complain about them.

If you think you going to be transported to an african plain, of magically move from park to hotel, then yes you will be disappointed. However if your realistic in what to expect you can really be surprised by the Disney magic that can happen.

I went this weekend, which is why I asked about the resort. I personally loved the Savannah and was surprised at how early some animals were there. We got there early and I was worried we wouldn't see anything until the afternoon, but I was happy to be wrong. I was surprised with the animals we saw and got a few good pictures. We checked out both areas of the resort. Also, we went to Sanaa, which was amazing. So, thanks for everyone recommending the restaurant there.